vst simulating a reverse-reverb attack-curve?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Andrew Vernon wrote:I acknowledge Alienforce was being a dingus...
Surely you can distinctly explain why, can't you? And I can with ease reply with the same phrase, but I'm a bit smarter than you, Middlesex University's boy.
Andrew Vernon wrote:...you need my respect, because I am god.
I didn't know that *god* creatively samples his printer's noises :lol: How about some toilet noises? :D

Roman Empire, I know what you mean. The truth is that I wouldn't mind to have the plugin you mentioned. Frankly speaking, I'm dreaming about, at least, a dozen of similar handy tools, but it'd be too easy for us to live, if we had them. So no offence, OK? :wink:

AlienForce wrote:Roman Empire, I know what you mean. The truth is that I wouldn't mind to have the plugin you mentioned. Frankly speaking, I'm dreaming about, at least, a dozen of similar handy tools, but it'd be too easy for us to live, if we had them. So no offence, OK? :wink:
No offence at all!
It may just be me who likes to be in control of things; hearing what I´m doing WHEN I´m doing it :)
Best Regards

Roman Empire

If some day I find the plugin you're looking for, I'll let you know.

Cheers!

(1)
The subject matter outlined in the first post wasn't specifically concerned with "dance music production", but rather an effect often found "On lots of modern dance, house etc...".
(2)
Statements similar to this:
  • If a certain way of working is killing your creativity, stop, but don't try to create or imagine a different approach.
sound stifling (to me).
We're talking about making music,
not building a house to code.
(3)
I was talking about the words lazy and efficient.
Also, music and creativity,
and, perspective.
(4)
The word efficiency doesn't come to mind, but more, thoughtful and considerate do.

allofdrab, indeed, I thought he talked about dance music production, so in that case all I said is true, 'cause it's impossible to produce a dance tune (drum'n'bass, jungle, hip-hop, trance, etc...) without a sampler and corresponding techniques. A drum sampler is also a sampler, and you can't do some clever effects without the latter.

It kinda seems that a reverse reverb plugin would be impossible, since the reverb would have to look ahead a few seconds. I'm no vst programmer, but that seems impossible or difficult to do.

I do reverse reverbs all the time within ACID Pro 5. It's really a great interface for it. I just solo my reverb bus, select a portion of the song within my L and R loop cursors, hit ctrl m for bounce, bounce the audio which is automatically brought right into the project, select the clip and press 'u'. The sample is reversed and I can do whatever I want with it. I'll use this piece elsewhere, distorting, doing filter sweeps, chopping it. It's really great to use the audio. I don't think I would use a vst effect for it. The destructive nature of doing this has its advantages.

AlienForce wrote:allofdrab, indeed, I thought he talked about dance music production, so in that case all I said is true, 'cause it's impossible to produce a dance tune (drum'n'bass, jungle, hip-hop, trance, etc...) without a sampler and corresponding techniques. A drum sampler is also a sampler, and you can't do some clever effects without the latter.
I would be close to agreeing with you if we were talking about hiphop. But there´s been made plenty of dance music, where I´d say that it´s lazyness if a sampler been used, cause it´s all built around nordleads and vintage drum machines. And when I say lazyness, I mean that it´s easier to just buy a sample-cd with processed sounds than making them yourself. And even in that case, it may just be a sample-player, and not a sampler being used.
The only time where I really see that a sampler is needed in alot of dancemusic is when stretching vocals, and applying other sampler-type effects to them, which, however also could be made with a hd-recording program/the sequencer used.
But yeah, then we´re at least talking about using sample techniques...
Anyway, making a good dance tune without the use of a sampler is far from impossible. Maybe a sampler is used to dial in some good sounds easily, but that´s a matter of how a producer likes to work, and does not exclude the possiblity of not using a sampler, and still call it dance.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

sgx wrote:It kinda seems that a reverse reverb plugin would be impossible, since the reverb would have to look ahead a few seconds. I'm no vst programmer, but that seems impossible or difficult to do.
I aint no vst programmer either, so I cannot say whether it´s actually possible to treat a signal in that kinda reverb-way through the ADSR.
But there´s one way that it for sure can be done, and will make it feel the same way:

First the following is done internally inside of the synth, without playing anything:

- generate let´s say one second of the waveform, as a sample
- add reverb of the number of seconds - let´s say 3, that the attack time is set to
- now we have 4 seconds, these will be reversed
- a release time of 2 seconds has been set by the user. Add 2 seconds of release

Now it only depends on the CPU how long it will take for the computer to generate the above, but of course it won´t take 6 seconds, though it may still be a bit heavy on the CPU to get this done fast.

So now when the user presses a key, it first plays the reversed part, the 3 secs, and let´s say that he´s got max sustain, it´ll play the waveform until the key is released, and the 2 secs of release-reverb are added. That last part of course can be generated on the fly, and wouldn´t need to be generated before the playback.

Was that clear, or..?
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Return to “Instruments”