Ensoniq ESQ-1 as VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know if they ever made a software version of Ensoniq ESQ-1. If not are there any VST that resemble that piece of god-like-synth?

Have a listen to ConcreteFX's Viper demo,, I have an SQ80 and in a dry sonic way it reminded me of it.
KVR - the many headed beast.

I just converted the raw waveforms of the SQ80 over to Wusik format for the Wusikstation...still waiting on patch makers and enough patches to come in to release it as a free set however.
"I'm not here for your cold roast chicken, I'm here for your love."
-Vanna White, Goddess of Love

TechnoWeeniePas wrote:I just converted the raw waveforms of the SQ80 over to Wusik format for the Wusikstation...still waiting on patch makers and enough patches to come in to release it as a free set however.
Is it worth buying an ESQ-1, I´ve seen adds on the internet where the synth goes for 280 euros. My birthday is coming up, I might through one of those in on my wishlist :hihi:

linzatti wrote:Is it worth buying an ESQ-1, I´ve seen adds on the internet where the synth goes for 280 euros. My birthday is coming up, I might through one of those in on my wishlist :hihi:
Personaly I would find an SQ-80. Its about the same synth but with more functionality and waveforms. I used to own an ESQ-M (the rack ESQ1) and moved to the SQ-80. You retain all the sounds and waveforms of the ESQ1 but get more on top of it. Either one is an interesting synth with I think a unique sound.
"I'm not here for your cold roast chicken, I'm here for your love."
-Vanna White, Goddess of Love

SQ80 is a SUPER synth !!

And a GOOD software version of that would be the best.
My own SQ80 has gone dead, and it's very hard to find a new used one here in Denmark.

i use the raw SQ80 waves with Vaz 2010/Modular and i can get very close to the SQ80 patches but......
It's just not an SQ80 soundwise.
The warmth from the analog filter in SQ80 just can't be beaten....even by Vaz !

280 euro for an ESQ-1 is a rip-off, unless it's expanded. I wouldn't pay more than $200 USD for one or $250-$300 for an SQ-80, and that's for a mint one.

I got my ESQ-1 for about $160 USD with a ROM cartridge. Later I found the EPROM cartridge (for user banks) and the sequencer expansion for about $40. I also had to replace the battery but that was fairly cheap.

Before the ESQ-1 I owned an SQ-80. I miss some of the extra waveforms and the aftertouch but the clicky keyboard (due to the aftertouch mechanism) made it annoying to play, so I eventually sold it.
Listen to my latest album Astronauta at

http://www.facproductions.net

I have an ESQ-1 that works perfectly I picked up for 150$ in a pawn shop. I love it! It's built like a tank, so not great portability, but solid.

So is the sound :o

Sq-80 has more waveforms (if you're motivated, you can get them installed in the esq-1, but it's a def. hack to do so.) and either one is great.

For ~150$ (US), you get a synth and a controller. I love mine!

--edit--
to answer your original posts, 280 Euros seems a bit high; I might shop around. Here I don't see many sq-80, but a slow trickle of ESQ-1's from 150-200$
Last edited by ouroboros on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..what goes around comes around..

I heard Joris Voorn is using a ESQ-1... According to his music, it is capable of producing beautiful and warm chords.

I will follow up this search. Thanks for the rip-off tip too fac!

Return to “Instruments”