Which synths have unison ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey there guys, I am looking for a synth that has a unison mode. What I mean by this is, you select your waveform and then may add a unison of upto 8 or 16 voices for that waveform. When you add the higher number of waveforms, you get a beautiful detuned fat sound. The synth must support non-synced waveforms so that the sound doesn't sound like a flanger effect.

To my knowledge, the following do this...
- Kjaerhus Audio Spectra
- Native Instruments Pro 53

Any others folks ?

Appreciate your help a lot

Cheers
Fots

Synth 1

Many of the killers
Toxic, which I prefer over the 2 you mentioned.

Octopus

and maybe UNISON by Concrete FX..but have to check

ODO's unknown synth gets pretty fat tho

Sytrus

Absynth 3 (not 1 or 2, though)
FM7
A lot of Reaktor's synths. If they don't already, adding unison is a module drop and a voice number change away :)
Tera
Moog Modular V
Xphraze
All the Vaz synths

ew
A spectral heretic...

SWEET, thank you all so much for your help, I'll check out all the synths mentioned.

Cheers
Fots

xhip!

thanks a lot starcraft, i'll try those too, so far I love Tonix a lot. I was trying to avoid Native Instruments due to the copy protection they use. I love LOVE Virsyn TERA but it's a little too expensive for me.

Cheers
Fots

But better than all of the above mentioned, yes all, is the venerable [and now free] JX Synth. If you're after teh biggest, baddest unison of them all, this is the one to get. SOme synths [Synth 1 and FabFilter Twin come to mind] have a function called unison that is really some sort of chorusing effect. It sounds dreadful.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES thank you so much, i'll check it out right now

Cheers
Fots

BONES wrote:SOme synths [... FabFilter Twin come(s) to mind] have a function called unison that is really some sort of chorusing effect. It sounds dreadful.
Bones' statement about Twin is totally false; it achieves unison effects by stacking detuned voices, not by "some sort of chorusing effect." The result sounds spectacular.
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…

- GMedia Minimonsta
- FabFilter Twin
- Image-Line Sytrus

PaulSC wrote:
BONES wrote:SOme synths [... FabFilter Twin come(s) to mind] have a function called unison that is really some sort of chorusing effect. It sounds dreadful.
Bones' statement about Twin is totally false; it achieves unison effects by stacking detuned voices, not by "some sort of chorusing effect." The result sounds spectacular.
His statement about synth1 is false, too. It stacks 6 (or 8...i dont remember) oscillators on top of eachother.

Come on bones synth 1 has a beautiful unison.

yes it just seems that fabfilter also spreads it in the stereo field too, very nice. So far my favourites are FabFilter and Toxic. Toxic can do so many different types of sounds, I think it's a lot more versatile, but the GUI of FabFilter is to die for, just love it ! Main problem with FabFilter's unison is that it can't be detuned as drastically as the other synths I've tried which makes it less useful for trance.

I'll try GMedia Minimonsta too :D

Cheers
Fots

lol jxsynth unison is DREADFUL.(very flangery and synching oscillators which is exactly what the open poster didn't want)
and fabfilter unison/detune is good up to 4 voices then the calculations are messed up above that....consequently increasing voices and detuning them donsn't give the results u expect and sound goes into flangery/synching/ phasey territory.

Return to “Instruments”