Unison quiz (an interesting test of synth differences)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

when i tried albino last year i dismissed it immediatey cos its unison sucked so bad it was clearly a programming fault.
the korg unison in those examples sound correct to me....as i would expect it to sound at 5 voices(x2) and detuned.
xhip unison (which u haven't tried) sounds pretty much like those korg examples...and obviously i like it much.
i don't feel like dismissing the virus unison cos i feel it's due to a brighter sawtooth than what we used to in the vsti world so far. at least there's no flangeing or synching of the oscillators like in the albino example.
Last edited by _starcraft_ on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's my guess:

#1 - MS20
#2 - Polysix
#3 - Albino
#4 - Virus

I could just look up which synth on the list doesn't have normal unison controls available, but that would spoil it :P I personally like #4 the best.

Too bad I'm wrong :( I haven't actually used any of these synths... come to think of it, why did I even guess?

Or you could read the previous page and copy down the correct answers.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

when you guys gonna learn you don't need a unison if you detune the oscillators properly? Oops, i didn't say that :hihi:

I agree the test needs to be raised an octave or two out of the bass and into the treble.

I liked 4 and 3 best, myself... for purely subjective, which-sound-would-I-choose reasons. #2, not a chance in hell. #1 was close to #4 but not quite there I thought.

BONES wrote:Or you could read the previous page and copy down the correct answers.
Or you could read his entire post. :wink:
In the end will be the word.
Check out some of my music at www.fritzmetal.de

PaulSC wrote:I too guessed them all wrong -- unsurprisingly, since I've never used or even demo'd any of them. I think a part of my reasoning was this: numbers 2 and 3 sounded less like the super-fat, saturate-your-mix presets that are so fashionable today, so I figured they might be emulations of synths from the past.

Still, I'm impressed by the performance of the Korg emulations in this test, as I have been with other demos I've heard from them. Are they still only available as a bundle (or even worse, as a bundle with that gimmicky hardware controller)?
I picked up Legacy in December for CDN$259 - they were on special for the month, I guess blowing-out the original version ahead of the new release.

The MS20, Polysix and Cell are excellent. The Wavestation is great too, just a different beast, in fact I think Korg is right to separate the products. You also get the MDE fx, which are not mind blowing but they're ok, and you get an MS20 audio-in version to use as an effect, which is great.

The controller - yes the keyboard is a toy, but the knobs are actually not bad and it's a lot of fun to control the MS20 with them. Overall, especially at the price I paid, it's a fantastic package.
Image Image

BONES wrote:As for the results, you would want to think that a company with 40 years in the business could do the best job, especially given that KORG have always had massively good oscillators. You've probably sold me on the Analogue Collection when its available. Polysix is just the kind of simple, huge synth that appeals to me.
:-o :shock: BONES! Did you forget to take your medication? You frighten me :o You're probably the most enthusiastic about not spending money on (expencive) commercial stuff :-o :o

:P

Virus
MS-20
Albino
Polysix

Ah bugger, not even close.

Return to “Instruments”