VST hosts vs TDM vs LE... RTAS vs VST etc..

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know a professional producer who claims that Pro Tools "sounds better" because its internal calculations are at 48 bit fixed point, compared to 32 floating point in most DAW host programs eg: Cubase.

At first I was skeptical, because most people on forums seem to claim all host sequencer/ audio programs are equal in sound quality in the digital domain.

However, I found some technical articles on the net which confirmed that 48 point is superior sonically, especially when making LOW frequency calculations.. ie: BASS creation/ manipulation.

I also wrote to Sony tech support, who confirmed that their TDM plugs operate at a 48 bit, and therefore sound superior.

I have also found another thread on this topic..

"By the way, the TDM plugins that process on the motorola chip are 48bit fixed internally. There's a sutble audible difference between native and TDM, in favour of TDM."

However, the producer guy I knows actually uses Pro Tools LE in his home studio set-up..

So one question I have is "Is there any difference between using a VST platform and Pro Tools LE in terms sonic quality of plugs??" - especially to anyone who has actually used both platforms...

Also, is this argument even relevant in the days of 64 bit processing?? What hosts actually support 64 bit processing?? If a host doesn't support 64 bit processing, but a plug claims to operate at 64 bits, will audio still be processed at this bit rate?

Can anyone reccomend any good VSTs / plug-ins that operate at 64 bits?

Will they work in Cubase 2.0 (my current host)?

Should I switch platform for ultimate sonic quality?

Anyone who can shed any light on this topic, please inform...

I don't have time to get in a lengthy explanation about this(don't worry,plenty here will),but I personally prefer floating point over fixed due to flexibilty and I hear a slight edge in certain VSTi's and plugs over other hosts including PTHD/LE at the moment with Sonars internal 64 bit prosessing,but nothing major between any of them,certainly not enough to steer me to one platform or another.Cakewalks Sonar 5 currently will process internally at 64 bit on a 32 bit OS,and the 64 bit version has bit bridge to enable non 64 bit plugs to run on a 64 bit OS. Steinbergs Cubase announced recently a 64 bit version as well as the new VST spec.I think the new Digidesign Accel cards might process at 64 bit fixed,but I'm not certain.
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein

32 bits 64 bits dont forget youre a musician - do some f**king noise and f**k these numbers, remember f**king sex pistols

first of all... dont even think about this if you are not an all golden ear... some like timestrech in live and release a lot of music... but is it the best... no, but it is well incorporated into the great and fast gui and works well.

now to the bits and bites... i found sawstudio to be the best "audio-engine" so far... protools are second but thats is only because i like the outcome of the final mix when i work with them... its also about pan laws (it what most ppl think is the float vs fixed sound comparison)... my advice it to get a host that you can work fast in and forget about the details...

cheers

48-bit fixed point is measurably better for some calculations than 32-bit FP, but most high-quality plug-ins use 64-bit FP internally (with 32-bit interconnect) these days anyways. PT TDM plugs use 48-bit internal precision and 24-bit interconnects.

64-bit FP is definitely the way to go.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Return to “Instruments”