What does it sound like? :)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This thread is inspired by the other ongoing thread: "Tell me if this sounds fat" (or what was the name of the thread?)

Here's the sound clip:
Saw + Filter

The synths making those basslines are:
Albino 2
Fabfilter Twin
ImpOSCar
MS20
Polysix
V-Station

...but not in that order...

I used the same notes for each synth's bassline. Only one saw oscillator + the synth's own filters are used to create each synth's sound. If the synth had more than one filter, I took advantage of them and used them at the same time. I also tried to bring out the synth's own character to those sounds, so they would be recognizable. The filter's are modulated with LFO to give the listener some kind of feel how the filter sounds with different cutoff values.

The question "Does it sound fat?" isn't very fair in this comparison, but you can answer it anyway.

The question "Does it have character?" is fair, though.

The question "Which synth is it?" is also a fair question :)

So answer these questions to each sound:

* Does it sound fat?
* Does it have character?
* Which synth is it?
* What extra comments would you like to say about the sound?

:)

These are basslines as in '303ish low pitched filtered sequences'. I would like to hear basslines as in 'there's one hellova bass going in that rithm section'. I don't care too much for 303ish stuff.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

It all sounds very poor.

0:25 sound was the best to me. but dunno about those synths

I liked the third iteration the best. Some of them sounded a bit flat and dull to me.

I don't know what fat is, and all sounds have a character of some kind, so I can't really answer the questions.

it all sounds like the typical bad VSTi sound that I hate so much..

the bass sounds do not have the right bass power, that analog equipment makes so nice...
dont know why...

although I think
Fabfilter Twin
ImpOSCar
MS20
are more analog sounding than the others you listed.

I also found out that vsti sound better in other sequencers than Cubase.

Am I right that you rendered these VSTi in Cubase SX?

Im glad my thread inspired you. :)

The second bass sounds the best overall in my opinion, but the third has good character to it. The first one has too much res on the filter. Fourth is just terrible. Fifth is too thin and lacks bass, almost as bad as the fourth. The sixth, sounds a little flat, maybe EQ the bass and it would sound nice.

Since I know nothing of the synths used here I can't tell you which they are, but that doesn't mean you can't tell us!

It all sounds very poor.
love it all
Make Your Voice Heard!!
EUROPEAN VAPERS PROTEST 29th 2.00PM.It saved my life.

And the synths are (in the order of appearance) :

1) MS20
2) FabFilter Twin
3) impOSCar
4) Polysix
5) V-Station
6) Albino 2

hifiboom wrote:I also found out that vsti sound better in other sequencers than Cubase.

I did it in Live 5 :) But I'm quite sure all the sequencers sound the exact same if you use the same VSTi's :)

I also found out that vsti sound better in other sequencers than Cubase.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did it in Live 5
:hihi:

And another few :lol: :lol: :lol:

hifiboom wrote:it all sounds like the typical bad VSTi sound that I hate so much..
Same, you can definitely tell these are VSTi, and I'm not even that big a fan of all that analog stuff. :shrug:
Mizutaphile.

1. Like it
2. Cool formant-ishness to it
3. Distorted a bit, like it
4. Too dull
5. Same as 4 but a bit distorted
6. Formantish again but not as cool as 2

Sorry, i can't answer your specific questions. Those are just my general impressions :D I would be curious which synth is which though...

Kraku wrote:And the synths are (in the order of appearance) :

1) MS20
2) FabFilter Twin
3) impOSCar
4) Polysix
5) V-Station
6) Albino 2

Tangent's tracks on myspace

"I wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness, but that doesn't work." - Author Unknown

kritikon wrote:
I did it in Live 5
:hihi:

And another few :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope, I don't think that the host has any influence on the sound quality, since we're talking about adding floating points together with CPU. That's maths, not some analog stuff ;)

Return to “Instruments”