z3ta and Fractal Sounds

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tconrardy wrote:well..dont want to put a wrench into the works..but you can use MidiYoke to play your softsynths live with Fractmus( or any MIDI app..like steem) without the midi file import. You just select Midiyoke as Midi input, and in Fractmus, have MidiYoke as Output, and there you have it.
true ...
but unless your synth is multi-timbral , like tera2 , you are going to be limited to one channel of playback per standalone synth ...

using midi import , within a host , allows for midi editing ,effects processing . what have you ...

'twas brought up earlier in the thread ...

Dont know what I've done Norm - but I just cannot get the imported MIDI track to play !
All that there is in the sequencer window against (other than the Zeta tab)the MIDI track tab is a series of sequence lights that I can toggle on or off.
When I go into the piano roll there are no notes there !
How can this be ?

I've relooked at all the instructions you laid down and repeated them to the letter.
Even the help menu tells me nothing ie How do I get an imported MIDI track to play ?

Mick

deakinm wrote:Dont know what I've done Norm - but I just cannot get the imported MIDI track to play !
All that there is in the sequencer window against (other than the Zeta tab)the MIDI track tab is a series of sequence lights that I can toggle on or off.
When I go into the piano roll there are no notes there !
How can this be ?

I've relooked at all the instructions you laid down and repeated them to the letter.
Even the help menu tells me nothing ie How do I get an imported MIDI track to play ?

Mick

there can be a number of issues here that could form a stumbling block ...

the first one to address is the issue of getting ANY midi file to import , and play ...
the second issue would be to address a FRACTMUS midi file , and how you generated it ...

so first , lets try a midi file ...
i'll upload one for you to try , and post a link here , in a few minutes ...

back inna bit ...

download this :

http://normal.panicnow.net/zawinful.mid

set it up , as we discussed ...
post back ...

Bang on Norm !

Plays perfectly with all instruments when I assign the port.
So the problem must be the MIDI format that Fractmus saves in ?

Yet last night I did manage to import part of the MIDI track I had composed in Fractmus. This is really confusing me now as when I play the MIDI composition in WMP it plays perfectly.

Mick

deakinm wrote:Bang on Norm !

Plays perfectly with all instruments when I assign the port.
So the problem must be the MIDI format that Fractmus saves in ?

Yet last night I did manage to import part of the MIDI track I had composed in Fractmus. This is really confusing me now as when I play the MIDI composition in WMP it plays perfectly.

Mick
i suspect the Fractmus midi format is the culprit ...
i'll d/l fractmus , and have a look ...

back later ...

from the fractmus help file :
FractMus allows you to export your compositions as standard Midi files. This offers you the possibility to further enhance your compositions in your favorite sequencer program or music editor. FractMus writes type 0 midi files (all data in one track), which is the most commonly used format. To save your compositions as a midi file, select Save Midi file from the File menu. Author and copyright information is automatically saved to the files. You can enter this information in the Change Password dialog box. Also, algorithm information will be written to the file upon confirmation. You may also play midi files within FractMus. From the File menu, select Play Midi file and choose the midi file to be played. The Windows Media Player program will be used to reproduce the file.

Please note: for some unknown reason, some sequencers (such as CakeWalk) have trouble loading midi files written by FractMus. If you encounter this problem, don't panic, the solution is very easy: there are many freeware and shareware midi utilities and sequencers that read midi files generated by FractMus without any problem. Simply load the midi files in one of these programs and re-save them as either type 0 or type 1 (one track per channel). This will solve the problem in most cases. You can find many of these utilities in http://www.winfiles.com/apps/98/midi.html

the problem is the type 0 midi file format ...
all data on one track ...

got a 404 on that link ...
further investigation req'd ...

Cracked it Norm !

Dug down in my old archive CDs and came up with this little beauty (covered in cobwebs)

"Welcome and thank you for using Midisoft Studio, a full-featured notation-based MIDI sequencer for Windows 95/98. Studio combines all the tools you need to create, edit, and perform MIDI and digital audio with a full-featured score notation engine and visual editing tools for creating professional-quality printed scores. "

Imported the type 0 Fractmus file and saved it as a type 1.

Imported it without a hitch into FLS - now begins the fun and games.

Thanks once again for the 'investigational involvement'
Sometimes I'm just too lazy for my own good :)

I owe you several !!

Mick

deakinm wrote:Cracked it Norm !

Dug down in my old archive CDs and came up with this little beauty (covered in cobwebs)

"Welcome and thank you for using Midisoft Studio, a full-featured notation-based MIDI sequencer for Windows 95/98. Studio combines all the tools you need to create, edit, and perform MIDI and digital audio with a full-featured score notation engine and visual editing tools for creating professional-quality printed scores. "

Imported the type 0 Fractmus file and saved it as a type 1.

Imported it without a hitch into FLS - now begins the fun and games.

Thanks once again for the 'investigational involvement'
Sometimes I'm just too lazy for my own good :)

I owe you several !!

Mick
:D

glad you got it ...
always a pleasure to help someone who isn't afraid to help themselves , as well ...

i was about to post my solution , which , as it turns out , is quite similar ...
i d/l'd the free 'jazz' open source sequencer , and did the same conversion process ...
worked a treat ...

good luck ...
have fun ...

Return to “Instruments”