Would you purchase a VST instrument that use a dongle?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Would you purchase a VST instrument that uses dongle copy protection?

Yes, I would purchase a VST instrument that use dongle copy protection.
14%
No, I would never purchase a VST instrument that use dongle copy protection.
58%
Maybe, Dongles are a hassle but if the VST instrument is really good I will concider it.
28%

Total votes: 265

RELATED
PRODUCTS

After reading the thread about Arturia's recent decision to start using dongle copy protection I thought a poll to see how wide spread the hatred really is would be interesting.

who the f**k would want to participate in this shitty poll when it's so much more fun to pay out on Arturia in countless threads?

ps: it's pretty obvious where most people stand anyway, isn't it?

Good luck with your shitty poll. I hope you learn a lot out of it.

Is this poll representative for the general kvr opinion? ;)

I want the option "no, i wouldn't purchase a VST instrument that has a dongle, because i could just download the fuckin' warezed version and not have an intrusive copy protection shit me off".

I rock.

They can all stick them dongles in their dungholes.
------------------------------------------------------------------
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fling off.

I don't like dongles. I don't like challenge/response either. But there are tools like Reaktor and Tassman that I want to use, regardless. If Arturia's Brass had been good enough, I'd have put up with their stupid f*cking dongle. But it wasn't, so I don't have to. I still have to decide if I want to get their Moog Modular V before they "upgrade" it to be donglified.

Thank you, but no. Got an effing syncrosoft dongle for cubase already, and I decided long ago NOT to encourage that kind of idiocy by buying plugs that use it. Currently looking at other options hostwise, for instance ext. Might skip windoze altogether then, that would rock.
Rather than going the warez route though (which I did back when cubase screwed up the lpt port) I simply use freeware/freebies and stuff using serials or challenge/response once - c/r is also annoying, but less so than a dongle IMHO. And my hardware of course: windoze can crash all it wants to, I can still play anyway. So there.

I bought Reaktor3, but it was definitly worth the hassle. Today I doubt I'd buy a VST that has dongle. I'd rather stick to the one dongle I allready have. Between my legs :D
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

dongles only encourage warez, even legit buyers will download to save the hassle. Dongle is cracked just like standalone so what's the point?

I really think these companies are at the point where they need to realize they are not just competing against other companies, but the warez community, and need to make their offerings better than DL's not worse.

Yes, i love dongles, they are so much fun, without one, i wouldnt even purchase the plugin.. :) :) All vsti's should have dongle's and everyone will grow a second brain worrying about mice taking over the world :)

hoffy wrote:who the f**k would want to participate in this shitty poll when it's so much more fun to pay out on Arturia in countless threads?

ps: it's pretty obvious where most people stand anyway, isn't it?

Good luck with your shitty poll. I hope you learn a lot out of it.
This is a perfect example of what is called a thread crap.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

dongles to encourage more warez activity I believe. I wouldn't ever buy a dongled VST anyways.

hoffy wrote:who the f**k would want to participate in this shitty poll when it's so much more fun to pay out on Arturia in countless threads?
Well, I don't know whether you've voted or not, but you've certainly participated in this thread.

As my dear old granny used to say - if you haven't got anything nice or constructive to say, then just get to f**k.
hoffy wrote:ps: it's pretty obvious where most people stand anyway, isn't it?
Is it? Looks like opinion is possibly more divided than you thought - a useful poll then?
hoffy wrote:Good luck with your shitty poll. I hope you learn a lot out of it.
It's so shitty isn't it? I can hardly see the screen for all the shitty shit.

I understand dongles can encourage crackerz, but they're going to crack software dongle or not. I voted for the third option.

i have logic pro and it uses a dongle.
i planned to buy grm tools classic and st but since they use ilok i'll never do it. one dongle is enough.
my favourite copy protection is the serial (like linplug i.e.) or the personalised serial (like fabfilter i.e.). challenge/response is not too bad, i've tassman and it's ok. ilok, synchrosoft etc. will never find a usb port in my computer!

hmm about half the votes accept the concept of dongles

yet all the replies are from thos who are against it

why do the no dongle crowd feel the need to tell everyone about it

is dongle envy a real psychiatric condition ?
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

Return to “Instruments”