Oscilliator Shape Modulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bk wrote:Doesn't any FM synth pretty much do this very thing?
That was one of my first thoughts as well, but if we're right in this thinking (which I doubt :D), it happens way too fast in FM.

I immediately thought of wavetable synthesis :) (The kind in Surge, Waldorf Microwave, Terratec Komplexer etc)
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

w/o reading all of that, ces-synth, by cesare, same guy and same era as 'fm heaven' has some nifty morphing oscs.. saw-tri-ramp stuff..

~bit heavy cpu hit for va, but nice sound
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Debutante wrote:
bk wrote:Doesn't any FM synth pretty much do this very thing?
That was one of my first thoughts as well, but if we're right in this thinking (which I doubt :D), it happens way too fast in FM.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was like "Doesn't FM do this?"

But I think he's right. It happens way too fast. Not really a gradual change at all.

Blue can assign LFO's or envelopes to morph a wave form and there was a free CM givaway Morphite that can do it also.

(sorry if these have been sugested already, but the servers playing up, so I hav't checked all previous posts)

Another one to think of is Symptohm which modulates the area of a waveform being used with it's Sync Grain Oscillators.

I totally love this concept and think it works amazingly.

xoxos wrote:w/o reading all of that, ces-synth, by cesare, same guy and same era as 'fm heaven' has some nifty morphing oscs.. saw-tri-ramp stuff..

~bit heavy cpu hit for va, but nice sound
I knew there was something special about that synth. I had it a liked it after a short trial, but recently deleted it during a plugin plurge. I'll try it again. Thank you for all the input as usual peoples!

If you're looking to go down the additive synthesis route, then SOUP is a great choice since it allows you to morph between as many additive waveforms as you like (CPU permitting), instead of the more usual 2 or 4 sound limit.

You can either control the morph in real time, or draw envelopes to do it automatically for you. Very powerful stuff!

I think you understand what I mean. NOT crossfading. Imagine a sin wave slowly morphing into a saw, which can slowly morphnge into a more complex saw pattern... etc. A synth that would allow you to automate the shape, tension, skew and whatever the way you can when desigining wave shapes in Sytrus for example.
The reason you don't see this happening is that constructing a shape from algo's can be very CPU consuming, so either you'd have crossfading between blocky updates, or a very slow synth. And you'd still be very likely to get aliasing.

That said, you can smoothly morph from a sine to a saw-like using FM feedback.

I was getting some great "morphing oscillator" type sounds just yesterday with the Fruity granulizer and changing the grain spacing characteristics in realtine....you get some really drastic timbral changes that are great for atmospheric pads......sounds amazing.......depends on your original sample of course.....even managed to get some very flute like type sounds ..... 8)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

sounds intersting; what kind of sample were you using? like, single cycle waveforms or somthing?
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I was getting some great "morphing oscillator" type sounds just yesterday with the Fruity granulizer and changing the grain spacing characteristics in realtine....you get some really drastic timbral changes that are great for atmospheric pads......sounds amazing.......depends on your original sample of course.....even managed to get some very flute like type sounds ..... 8)
Most of my pads will eventually come from fruity granulizer. It's just fun making huge atmospheric pads from a cat's meow or a hihat :D

I think it's unmatched in making effed up effects, too. (Not counting the granulizer with FSU plugs on it) :wink:

PropheSea allows realtime manipulation of any of its waveforms as well as harmonic disruption manipulation, plus automations for both as well...

Try "ScanSynth."

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1830.html

Really fun synth to play around with and it's free.

Z3R0T0N1N wrote:sounds intersting; what kind of sample were you using? like, single cycle waveforms or somthing?
normally I just use it for mashing drumloops or individual hits, for pad sounds I load sytrus, use one of its oscillators to generate a single cycle waveform then drag and drop it straight on to Granulizer. Dont forget to use the built in envelopes and envelopes to modulate the ouput too :)

Return to “Instruments”