Switchin' to Reason from Acid: using all those .wav loops?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings all,

New user, first time poster... glad I found this board!

Here's my question:

I'm finally making the complete switch from Acid to Reason in order to centralize all my daily instrument, looping, etc. needs.

Question is... I've got a sizable collection of Acidized stereo .wav loops that I've amassed over the years. I'd like to use these with Reason. Will they work as is (and tempo adjust, etc.)? Or is there a way to easily (quickly!) convert them to work with Reason 3.0?

Thanks much,
Ajd

you will be able to open them with reasons samplers.
the samplers are in my opinion reasons main strengths so you should have no problems once you learn reason a little more

welcome to kvr :)

There's no easy way of getting them into reason (unfortunately), reason has no 'audio' as such - so no auto-tempo adjustement etc.
the best you can do really is use recycle (if you have it, or have access to it) & convert all the loops manually to rex files - a long tedious pain in the arse process.
Sorry mate.

edit: - like vurt said they'll load in the samplers, but there's no acid-wav compatability.

the best you can do really is use recycle (if you have it, or have access to it) & convert all the loops manually to rex files - a long tedious pain in the arse process.
Ouch, is that really true? That is, I believe you, but I'm surprised. Reason is such a standard, as is Acid. You'd think they'd 'talk' to each other well.

Perhap there's some batch convert program that'll do the trick - shareware maybe? I can't imagine manually converting each .wav.

Thanks for your replies, btw. Much appreciated...

AjD

diverdee wrote:
edit: - like vurt said they'll load in the samplers, but there's no acid-wav compatability.
yeah indeed, no complete compatibility but all is not lost ;)

Presuming you still have Acid on your machine, you could use it to tempo match your loops to fit your Reason Projects ... but if you use loops a lot in your music then why are you switching to Reason anyway?

The two programs have such different functionalities. I think you are better off rewiring reason into acid.

if you use loops a lot in your music then why are you switching to Reason anyway?
That seems to be a good point. I expected, apparently incorrectly, that I could use the Dr. Loop player (is that what it's called?) for my looping needs. I thought it would be simple. (I know, I know...)

Any suggestions on a different software solution here? I'm attracted to the idea of having an 'all-in-one' virtual instrument/sampling/looping program. (Sample project: drum loops playing against a sampled electric piano part, rewired into my multitrack software, which is playing back recorded vox and instrumental parts).

I thought Reason was it. Maybe not? Is there another?

AjD

AjD wrote: Any suggestions on a different software solution here? I'm attracted to the idea of having an 'all-in-one' virtual instrument/sampling/looping program. (Sample project: drum loops playing against a sampled electric piano part, rewired into my multitrack software, which is playing back recorded vox and instrumental parts).

I thought Reason was it. Maybe not? Is there another?

AjD
Live 5 is what you need ... download the demo and check it out

Yep, if you've got a big collection and that's a factor in what host you se, then I think your choices are:

1) Stick with Acid
2) Use Live
2) Forget the loop collection and start fresh in Reason

Isn't project 5 acid-wav compatible?

edit: yep - http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Project5/sequence.asp
Audio Looping Tools

Click and drag to roll out tracks using ACID™-format loops that match your project tempo and pitch changes. Features automatic beat matching, flexible time stretching/pitch shifting, and support for multiple loops per track. Use the loop Editor to take your beats and loops to new worlds with the smoothest loop integration to date: offers per-slice control of effect automation, pitch, pan, and gain. Export ACID-format loops.
so if you have a large acid loop library it may be good fit for you.
Personally i'd also recommend Ableton Live though, but that's probably because i'm something of a fan.
It doesn't have aceid-wav compatability, but it does have amazing audio warping, & lot's more besides.

The loop player in reason is dr rex - it plays rex files.

...I use Reason to ALL of my sequencing(I just ReCycle any loops I wanna use in Reason OR get 'em to tempo in ACID then import into a NNXT ot NN-19) then rewire or export the audio back into ACID for arranging and final mix. You'd be surprised how effecient and fast this can be...I tried to replace ACID with Reason but Reason is a great creation tool and there is NO REPLACEMENT for ACID as a loop arrangement tool...no matter what they say about Live and Sonar (both are cool but...) getcherself a copy of ReCycle while yer at and git busy!

Acid and Reason make a fine team rewired. I myself do not care for rewire, but it does work, and it is the solution you have to hand, Acid for loops and audio recording, Reason as your instrument suite. You can get a lot of goos music from that combination. I suggest that rather than starting over, get deep into what you've got, because they are both capable programs. You can maximize the value of your loop collection by getting ReCycle and converting them to rex2,for use in Dr. Rex, as well as using them in the samplers. Speaking of which, ReCycle will let you export you loop not only as rex2 but as sf2 with or without a corresponding midi file you have lots of options here.

maybe yuo should check out project 5?then you can use all of your loops.

Ok, confused but enlightened. Sounds like Reason's tool set for loop production is still a bit limited? I'm, again, surprised - but only via reputation/hype.

I'm trying to avoid having more than 2 progs (multitrack software, plus one rewired all-in-one app like Reason) loaded at once.

If Live 5 can't tempo change Acidized loops, that's out. Plus it doesn't seem to have any of it's own virtual instruments, like the Reason Subtractor analog synth? Just visited their Web site - looks cool, but more geared towards live on the fly stuff.

Maybe there isn't an all-in-one solution after all. Unless I covert everything to Rex2. (Yuck, yuck... I need an intern for that :)

AjD

Edit: Going to check out Project5...

Return to “Instruments”