MicroTonic vs Drumatic, Drumatic wins...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MicroTonic is $89, right? Wrong. It's $111.25 after VAT. Just because the product's price is $22.25 less doesn't mean buyers won't take the VAT into account and actually, the seller should take that into account. I don't know about you, but I made a decision not to buy it because of its (final) price and I'm sure others have done the same.

Microtonic is highly flexible, has pretty much everything you need for a drum synth, but after trying out Drumatic and using LOFI (its perfect companion) with it, I can say that Drumatic is a definite competitor for the MicroTonic. Drumatic is nowhere as perfect as MicroTonic of course (lack of step-sequencer), but because of the price, it justifies NOT buying MicroTonic and using Drumatic. The purpose of this thread is to hopefully inspire e-phonic to take on the challenge of improving Drumatic and selling it comercially. The little Drumatic *will* compete with the MicroTonic giant.

Who agrees?

I'll be willing to donate $20 right now and then pay the rest of the final cost when Drumatic is improved and comercially released.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Sat May 27, 2006 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

So you say that buy spending less money you can get a product that is inferior ? Good to know.

:lol:
Mizutaphile.

I bought Microtonic back when it was around $60.
I donated 50 euros (also around $60) to E-Phonic for Drummatic and his other excellent plugins.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses but I feel that both were worthwhile investments and I continue to use both drum synths on a regular basis.

</2cents>
I'm Kieran, aka dblue, aka illformed | illformed.com | Glitch 2 now available for Windows, Mac and Linux!

Ah, I figured MicroTonic used to be cheaper. That's a good amount of money you donated right there compared to my measily not-yet-donated $20.

Architeuthis wrote:Ah, I figured MicroTonic used to be cheaper.
Well the VAT is still a bitch, but living in Europe you just sort of get used to it I guess, haha.
I'm Kieran, aka dblue, aka illformed | illformed.com | Glitch 2 now available for Windows, Mac and Linux!

It's correct though that even if you live in the US, you still have to pay VAT? Don't get me wrong, if I had $111.25 to blow, I'd do it in an instant.

Architeuthis wrote:It's correct though that even if you live in the US, you still have to pay VAT? Don't get me wrong, if I had $111.25 to blow, I'd do it in an instant.
No, you don't have to pay VAT. With some online sellers you'll have to pay applicable sales tax for your state, but VAT isn't charged to US residents.

ew
A spectral heretic...

oh really... well I never said I didn't have $89 + tax to blow... might be buying it today.

HAHAHA@!!!!

Drumatic3 is a great drum synth and a too-good-to-be-true freebie, but I have to say it is not seeing that much use here since I got uTonic (for the old 69$ price).
I can't really say that uTonic is better it's just have a different character altogether that I prefer. I can definitely see how another would prefer Drumatic to uTonic.

E-Phonoic is freeware god, and though I almost never use any of his plugs, everything I tried (Drumatic, RetroDelay and LoFi) is top notch.
CubaseStudio4 µTonic/Rapture Nitro/GS-201/Ohmicide/TBK 1&3

Architeuthis wrote:Ah, I figured MicroTonic used to be cheaper. That's a good amount of money you donated right there compared to my measily not-yet-donated $20.
so in other words a good amount compared to $0 :lol:

I think the main advantage of microtonic over drumatic isn't capabilities or sound quality, it's the immediacy of the interface. I find that I can work much faster in microtonic, and the parameters are scaled really well so it makes it really easy to program the sound I want. I only wish there were a hardware version...but hopefully I'll be able to pick up a Machinedrum UW this summer so it won't be too heartbreaking. :D

Drumatic is cool, but I still think that µTonic is way better.

Nutseq gets similar sounds to MT, but MT is still my baby.

You know it outputs midi so you can control your sample based drums too?

Before I bought Microtonic, Drumatic was my drumsynth of choice. I think it's a very very good freebie. However, I still think Microtonic is more flexible and its sound seems more powerful to me, so for me it's worth the money.

Return to “Instruments”