[Enya] What synth could I use to make a bass like that ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jupiter8 wrote:That is a Roland Juno 60 FFS. Not a Waldorf.
Ok, I trust your nickname ;) In her old albums though she was using Wave all the time..
It's more fun to compute..

Kriminal has released some extreemely useful collections of synths-basses. Without reading further in this thread I got some similar sound in the Orion-sampler with his Juno-Bass and some fiddling and tweaking. As DasDeck says, without being God :hihi: , of course you'd need some additions to the sound, but Krim's synthbass gives a pretty good basic sound, and for me it was fun to play again with these synth-basses. They are not oly made for Orion, there are Kontakt- and other sampler format-files too.

Besides being very much a PWM bass i'm pretty sure that the gate ADSR is set to inverse.

Used to do that myself with alot of Juno 60 basses.

So look for a synth which is capable of inverting gate on the VCF & VCA

on top of that it should have 3 oscillators, a saw, pulse width and a sub(square).
www.xsynth.com - Sound Synthesis with Vintage flavour

mkastrup wrote:Besides being very much a PWM bass i'm pretty sure that the gate ADSR is set to inverse.

Used to do that myself with alot of Juno 60 basses.

So look for a synth which is capable of inverting gate on the VCF & VCA

on top of that it should have 3 oscillators, a saw, pulse width and a sub(square).
nice to learn. Those posts are a reason KVR is a great place. So my noodling was just the best I could get with what I have on my harddrive, I think, but still nice to play with those Krim-basses again.

jupiter8 wrote:That is a Roland Juno 60 FFS. Not a Waldorf.
I don't think people looked at the video clip. :x :lol: :shock:

what does it sound like anyway, without an mp3 file the best mimic patch i can make is this http://xhip.cjb.net/temp/public/unclefreddy.mp3

:(

Boulotaur2024 wrote:Hi everyone,

I've just stumbled upon that wonderful clip which I was about to post in the YouTube goodness thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3m1ckSpZ0

(Remember, the Fugees sampled it a few years ago, very cool tune imo, anyways...)

I'm still at work, half... working, half trying to figure how to re-create that great bass sound she plays (what synth is that btw ? Any ideas ?).

Yea I know you're gonna tell me that any synth carefully programmed could sound like this (I guess it's some kind of PW waveform), but I don't know, Oatmeal could be a good basis, ImpOSCar too...

Maybe you know of already existing patches that matches this quite closely ?

Eagerly waiting for your suggestions !
synth1 can do it, i'm pretty sure.

*edit*: this is as close as i can get with synth1.

http://www.funklabs.org/share/enya_boadicea.ogg

http://www.funklabs.org/share/010.sy1

copy that file over a factory default preset (if you want), that's using synth1 v1.07. the voice is some cheezy soundfont ;)

had to add some reverb (ambience), and chorus (t2 standard).

not perfect, but pretty decent. could use something in the highs, can't nail it with the synth1 filter, atleast not with my knowledge :) thought i could. i think pentagon might be able to though, i've heard the pentagon filter make nice smooth warm sounds like that.

good luck.

hrm towards the middle of the song there are some fm attacks at the beginning, i didn't notice that before. ah well, i tried :) maybe i'll try again with pentagon.

i love enya.

sounds like a 303 virus thingy.
check my profile for contact info.
msn messenger is my email as well.

Nice job, grymmjack :tu:
Thanx for the patch :-)

Last edited by darjammar on Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

did we somehow forget that enya is gay. gayest thing since gay came to gaytown...
Why cry about your own desires, when I could have them and leave you standing in the sadness of your own....

:D johnny, enya is a beautiful vocalist, and very talented. gay or not, i'm comfortable enough in my manhood to appreciate 'gay' music i suppose. the OP wanted help, we tried to give it.

my attempt with synth1 is gayer than enya :) of course, i'm biased JTL -- we used to roleplay endless nights away (ad&d/ravenloft/etc) listening to 'the celts' and 'shepherd moons'. it was great mood music. and, if you can believe it, no gay sex occured.

amazing...

tuzemec wrote:Nice job, grymmjack :tu:
Thanx for the patch :-)
np. i'm going to try it on the pentagon soon. i like the sound too. the filter on that synth is very cool sounding to my ears. i don't know, but did that synth feature a reverb unit or effect in it? the new(er) roland xp-60 i own has loads of effects, but it's a rompler, and i'm sure that this was done pre-rompler days or atleast that she wasn't using a rompler like the jv/xp line?

anyone know of some 'mmmmm' samples along the same quality of the soundfont i dragged into this? could be cool for us gay enya fans to share lots of enya-esque things here. :)

Return to “Instruments”