Stylus RMX, any one using this ??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DocT,

Really, that is dependent on the type of music. Traditional rock, pop, jazz and blues - perhaps not. But for techno, house, trance and music for gaming, etc - works perfectly fine.

Remember, RMX stands for Remix. Spectrasonics was not trying to redefine the more traditional genres like rock and jazz, they were going after a different crowd. Just so happends that you can use Stylus for almost anything with enough ingenuity and know-how.

Mike

telephone wrote:
Watto wrote:Make sure you get Retro Funk as an Xpander! It's unbelievable! :)
Even when you don't like funk?
Woops, missed this one - I still think it'd be a valuable addition to pop music etc. Even dance styles or whatever!

:)
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

RMX is great when i'm in a pinch!

best,

Karmacomposer wrote:DocT...
Mike, this wasn't criticism, I am absolutely satisfied with RMX.
Eric Persing wrote that it's not that easy to implement fills and breaks into RMX. I tried to explain why, from my point of view, that is.

DocT,

Just speaking my mind. Meant no offense. Sometimes I just like typing my opinions for my own self psychological well being.

Mike

Watto wrote:
telephone wrote:
Watto wrote:Make sure you get Retro Funk as an Xpander! It's unbelievable! :)
Even when you don't like funk?
Woops, missed this one - I still think it'd be a valuable addition to pop music etc. Even dance styles or whatever!

:)
It's not really funk based? I really hate funk, but Spectrasonics knowing it will be a good expander. I will see for demoes, and see if it fits in rock,progressive, dance,pop all but funk!

I've now had Stylus RMX in my studio for a couple of days, and the instrument is just so fun to work with! The sound quality is typical of Spectrasonics, just plain gorgeous.

I experienced a crash of the plug-in (nothing serious, it only froze the plug-in itself and not the host) when I had scrolled through and listened to 15 or maybe 20 different grooves, so I'll be sending Spectrasonics the error message that Cubase generated. Also, I noticed that when putting together my own kit (in kit mode), I couldn't listen to all the different sounds, only a few of them would play when pressing the play button beneath the part (inside RMX). Obviously, I would have liked to hear and review all the different sounds when putting together a kit.

All in all, my review grade is: 9.5/10. If you're searching for a word above "professional", Spectrasonics it is... I now have Atmosphere and Stylus RMX, and I whole-heartily recommend them both.

Martin
Equipment: Cubase 5, Emulator X, Ion, Fantom Xa, Wavestation, M1, Albino, BLUE, Predator, Atmosphere, Stylus RMX, X-Treme FX, Alchemy, Omnisphere

well overall, RMX is getting some great feedback here

i like the fact you can edit the grooves in midi this is fine as i enjoy workin with midi rather than audio,

still not sure how useful its gonna be making house beats,
does it also have swing settings that work independantly of the host ??
like guru seems to ??

any one care to do a quick demo of a chuncky house beat with RMX ??

cheers Leigh
L P B

leighbeynon wrote:does it also have swing settings that work independantly of the host ??
like guru seems to ??
No, the groove is played how the original is played.
But you can of course use your hosts' facilities to quantize and re-groove the slices if you wish.

Martin Tarnley wrote:I've now had Stylus RMX in my studio for a couple of days, and the instrument is just so fun to work with! The sound quality is typical of Spectrasonics, just plain gorgeous.

I experienced a crash of the plug-in (nothing serious, it only froze the plug-in itself and not the host) when I had scrolled through and listened to 15 or maybe 20 different grooves, so I'll be sending Spectrasonics the error message that Cubase generated. Also, I noticed that when putting together my own kit (in kit mode), I couldn't listen to all the different sounds, only a few of them would play when pressing the play button beneath the part (inside RMX). Obviously, I would have liked to hear and review all the different sounds when putting together a kit.

All in all, my review grade is: 9.5/10. If you're searching for a word above "professional", Spectrasonics it is... I now have Atmosphere and Stylus RMX, and I whole-heartily recommend them both.

Martin
you haven't used RMX if you haven't played with edit groups + chaos
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

also I don't think the play button triggers samples only loops......
so stuff like kit mode and the add on sound menus, you have to use your midi keyboard to trigger/audition the samples
sound sculptist

spaceman wrote:you haven't used RMX if you haven't played with edit groups + chaos
Been there, done that... 8)
Equipment: Cubase 5, Emulator X, Ion, Fantom Xa, Wavestation, M1, Albino, BLUE, Predator, Atmosphere, Stylus RMX, X-Treme FX, Alchemy, Omnisphere

Martin Tarnley wrote:
spaceman wrote:you haven't used RMX if you haven't played with edit groups + chaos
Been there, done that... 8)
then you know it's true :)
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I didn't dig Stylus RMX.
It's cool & all, but personally I like to build beats/drums up from scratch & add stuff.
From what i've seen of RMX in use, due to it's bein a collection of (very high quality & useful) loops it's more a case (for me) of finding the loops with the right sounds, layering them, bouncing to midi files & then editing them down (rather than up) to make them fit.
That Chaos thing is cool though - for sure, I'd like something that just does that for rex files - nice for noodling ideas together.
Don't get me wrong, this is no criticism of RMX, it's just I have a completely different workflow/approach.
Cool tool though innit?

diverdee wrote:It's cool & all, but personally I like to build beats/drums up from scratch & add stuff.
That's basically how I use RMX most of the time - as a huge library of drum sounds with a different feel to "conventional" drum machine or acoustic samples, with the benefits of a synthesis & FX engine for each of the single hits. You can build your own kits or just load loops and build drum parts with bits of loops.

It's handy to have 10,000 single hits knocking around, all nicely organised in one dat file ;)

Return to “Instruments”