Any Inline + Slicing Samplers?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lately, I've been spending hours drooling over MPC's, thinking about how fun it would be to record one-shot vocals to each of the pads and chopping them up. Anyhow, I went straight to Komplete and Shortcircuit Lite to see if I could do something similar in the software realm. After finding out that good ol' faithful Battery 2 and Kontakt 2 do not record samples, I found out that the demo version of DirectWave that came with FLStudio does. So, sure enough, I quickly loaded it into Live and did some inline sampling (Because FLStudio's handling of Audio and routing is garbage). Fun enough, but DirectWave doesn't allow you to slice the samples. So THEN I have to save the .wav that's created in DirectWave, IMPORT it over to Kontakt, and then slice it from there.

Basically, for the sake of live performance and improvising, is there a handy, low impact sampler that allows you to do quick inline sampling followed by slicing? Also, I need it to be able to save whatever I throw at it (i.e. the ability to save and load a preset where Sample #5 is chopped where I say "hey" and "you")... Oh, and Windows compatibility.

Or, is there any way to do this in DirectWave? Then I'd register it in a heartbeat.

Sorry for the convolution and thanks in advance for any help. I just don't have the grand or the space for an mpc right now.

PTV wrote:Try Liveslice
http://www.livelab.dk/liveslice.php
I was just going to say that.

I think the idea with Directwave is that FL has the new Edison slicer, which will let you drag and drop slices. So you can record in it and then drag the slices over to keys in Directwave.

I think, anyway, but an update for Directwave is in the works, so maybe that will change.

DirectWave already allow slicing but not in the way most sample-slicers as used:

You just basically have to cut your recorded sample in the wave editor [sample tab], to fit a exact number of "ticks". Ticks is measure in 1/4 beats, so 4 ticks is one beat.

Ie: if it's a 4-beat loop, set 16 ticks for that sample zone.

After that, enable 'SL' checkbox in zone list to enable slicing for that zone.

Now, when playing the sample, it will set start playback offset at the N tick position, being N the note-key number counting from zone's root key.

Important: ensure you set zone's KTRK (keyboard tracking) to +0 cents [it's +100 by default] to avoid pitching the sample.

It sounds a bit strange at first but after getting used to it, it's a very handy way to slice stuff.

Classic "cue-based" slicing is something sticked in my DW todo list anyway.
"If I could just say a few words... then I'd be a public speaker" -- Homer Simpson

And then there was maticulous workflow killing inspiration murder..

Listen if you are patient, I mean dont have a lable HOUNDING you for tracks then I would slice each tiny itzy bitzy piece of audio you want to map to a key (even lets say those 6ms tails). Then train a snail to right click on drag your mouse over to the sampler.. It's cool you can probably get 1 track done every 3 years or this way. So you'l have a whole album in like 20 years. I bet it will still be relevant!

Seriously when you think of inline sampling w slicing. Keep these things in mind:
- A recording section with the option to time sync (to locators etc)
- The ablitiy to slice by transient or by timed intervals.
- The ability to 'auto map' to key octaves.
- A .mid file output function (so you can use the pattern of the sliced audio to trigger the samples).

The only 2 that will do this with any kind of 'real world' use are LiveSlice and Vsampler (I think Ableton live has some cool features but thats another host). (Oh and also another other obscure one is DevineMachines OneShotRecorder)
The downside with Vsamplers inline recording is that its not time syncable which can be a pain in ass. LiveSlice is syncable BUT IMO you only really get 'sampler like' benifits from the initial track (the other pattern tracks lack robust sampler functions). Vsampler has EDITABLE slicer and can EXPORT slices directly to a new instrument mapped properly to keys with the midi parts to boot (plus many other functions many many eg can create cross faded looppoints).

Just an idea...

Did I mention that Vsampler can import REX files(if needed)..?? Heres a screen walk through the process.. (in this case I used the built in pattern player)..

Actually it does sync to pattern and theres a little sync to host button there that I didnt notice b4..

L

Try Highlife
http://www.discodsp.com/highlife
It's free
"Fortune favors the prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

PTV wrote:Try Liveslice
http://www.livelab.dk/liveslice.php
i'm using this wonderful tool ad my aim was to do the same thing you want. LiveSlice + PadKontrol= AWESOME (or waht so evere :D )

bye

God, I suddenly remembered why I love these forums so much. Thank you all, I will be trying everything you recommended (The production computer is off the internet... too many distractions...)
Funny you mention PadKontrol, I was planning on buying one in a week.

Again, thanks to all of you!

have fun making loopoints in Liveslice.. If you keep trying and really believe in yourself you can make it happen.

You can still buy recycle but at $200 I'd choose VSampler if I were you. Recycle Lite was bundled free with several sound cards. If you've got a old SB Live it was bundled with that one for sure.

tomg - agreed.. Plus the older version of recycle is the only one that makes .rcy files the latest only does rx2's (f**king RETARDED)..

L

Return to “Instruments”