Battery 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sascha Franck wrote:No and no. For that you'll have to bounce.
thanks again sascha, you've saved me alot of headaches this year. well I was interested in battery 3 but what's the ffff_N Point.... No slicer :shock: no global audio export :shock: no printing of efx to samples :shock: , its like the only thing i'd like is the multiple loop points. outside of that It looks like I could do everything in ableton lives cells, at least print efx and audio export.

if anybody wants to buy my copy of Battery 1.0, the original, pm me, you could have it for the cost of a few loads of clean laundry :hihi:

stale bread, really, Battery 3 isn't all that bad.
It's just not exactly aiming at the loop based composer or programmer (which, IMO, should defenitely be improved).
Destructive mangling of samples is something you'll hardly find in any VSTi. So (while it might be highly useful, I totally agree on that) it's nothing to blame it for explicitely.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Good heavens. I was thinking of picking up Battery 3 for this summer since I can get it for 99 dollars. But good heavens, if its running slow in a 3 Ghz machine, I wonder how it will run in my Celeron 2.8 Ghz, 512 MB Ram machine. :shock:

Can someone please tell me the BIG differences between Battery 2 and Battery 3 as far as CPU usage goes? Battery 2 is 75 bucks for me, and B3 is 99.

Thanks for the link to the audio library.

What I noticed is that the Kit is called "North Indian Kit" but the majority of the instruments were south indian.

keyman_sam wrote:Can someone please tell me the BIG differences between Battery 2 and Battery 3 as far as CPU usage goes? Battery 2 is 75 bucks for me, and B3 is 99.
I can't tell exactly (only installed Battery 3 on the Macbook so far, no Battery 2 there for 1:1 comparisons), but in case you switch all the additional things off, I'd say it's pretty similar. The GUI will probably be a bit slower, though.

Thanks sascha. And what configuration is your macbook? (so that i can compare with mine)

2.0 GHz, the "old" Core Duo CPU, 2GB of RAM.
I will install it on the PC laptop as well in the next days, so I can finally do some 1:1 comparisons.

FWIW -- I've had a chance to play with Battery 3 tonight for about an hour. I haven't done anything sophisticated with it at all, just loading various kits in M-Powered, and playing a MIDI track and hitting my padKontrol.

It sounds great, and I haven't had any problems with it. It's obvously damn powerful, and it's gonna take me quite a bit of work and time to wrap my head around it. The only issue I had was that, after registering the install on NI's site, their NI Service Center crashed whenever I tried to go into my user profile, in order to change my password.

No problems with long load times or anything else obvious. I know that the NI forum is a ball of screaming anguish right now, and I may encounter problems, but none so far. Most, if not all, of the folks on the NI forum seem to have Dual-Core CPU's and/or Macs of various kinds.

I have a Sempron 3100, Socket 754, with 1 GB of RAM, as a reference.

If you're contemplating buying this, you might want to let things settle a bit first, and definitely check to see if your CPU or OS is one of the problem ones.

Keyman_sam, you might want to seriously contemplate loading more RAM, and not just for this, but you might well be fine otherwise with B3.

All good, and fingers crossed for me, so far.

Take care,

GreyLion

Thanks. What do you mean by checking if my CPU is a problem one? Is there a list of CPUs that wont work with B3? For now, i'm not going to upgrade my RAM because i've already bought a lot of stuff this month. I'm almost broke. But maybe next year, i'll buy more ram. I'm going to try B3 demo. Lets see how good it is. :)

I get the impression that NI has been damn unresponsive to customer complaints, so there doesn't seem to be any sort of list of good and bad system set-ups. You might want to go to the NI Battery Forum and wander around awhile and see what people are posting and what might match your system or might not.

I haven't noticed anything there regarding Celerons. But 512 MB of RAM is really minimal if you're planning to run a sampler that loads these huge multi-layered kits. There's a button for purging from RAM the sounds that aren't used on a given MIDI track, but still....

keyman_sam wrote:Thanks. What do you mean by checking if my CPU is a problem one? Is there a list of CPUs that wont work with B3? For now, i'm not going to upgrade my RAM because i've already bought a lot of stuff this month. I'm almost broke. But maybe next year, i'll buy more ram. I'm going to try B3 demo. Lets see how good it is. :)
I think it's about the P4 Dual Core (I have one clocked to 3.6GHz). In a nutshell, the processor will continue to try and 'denormalise' high resolution audio until the calculations become so intense that there's a larger and larger use of the CPU, or 'CPU Spike'.

Some hosts like Traction have a 'dither' mode you can select that will take all audio tails (from big plugins and reverbs, etc.,) and insert noise at -300db or greater to stop the CPU from doing this.

For hosts that don't feature this option, you can insert a dithering plugin on the master buss (like Waves IDR, for example) which will do the same thing.

You can read more about that here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct02/a ... es1002.asp

adj wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:Thanks. What do you mean by checking if my CPU is a problem one? Is there a list of CPUs that wont work with B3? For now, i'm not going to upgrade my RAM because i've already bought a lot of stuff this month. I'm almost broke. But maybe next year, i'll buy more ram. I'm going to try B3 demo. Lets see how good it is. :)
I think it's about the P4 Dual Core (I have one clocked to 3.6GHz). In a nutshell, the processor will continue to try and 'denormalise' high resolution audio until the calculations become so intense that there's a larger and larger use of the CPU, or 'CPU Spike'.

Some hosts like Traction have a 'dither' mode you can select that will take all audio tails (from big plugins and reverbs, etc.,) and insert noise at -300db or greater to stop the CPU from doing this.

For hosts that don't feature this option, you can insert a dithering plugin on the master buss (like Waves IDR, for example) which will do the same thing.

You can read more about that here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct02/a ... es1002.asp
don't confuse "dither" with "low level noise to avoid denormalisation"

H.O.L.Y. S.H.!.T. Is this Battery thing for real or what? :shock:

It runs smooth as buttah! (Well, first it barfed "BAttery has crashed. you want to inform microsoft of this?") Then, when I ran it again, it ran completely smooth. Under 9ms in ASIO mode. No crackles, no pops, nothing.

Then, I loaded an akai patch that I had downloaded from the net - and that worked well too! Only problem is, it doesnt load more than 128 "cells". That is, when i tried to load the 136MB akai piano multisample (thank you sampletorrents!), it converted perfectly fine, but it left out some cells and said that it could only load 128 cells at a time. Fine.

There's a built-in EVERYTHING. Built in browser, effects modules, pitch envelopes (kick ass, btw), loop, and whatnot. Within few minutes of starting the application, I was already having tons of fun! I loaded one shots from the browser with no problem. All this is standalone mode without a sequencer. :D

Then, there's the convolution reverb, with built in impulses. :-o Oh, and the compressor. I turned the volume down and pumped the compressor all the way to ELEVEN to see how it does, and it sounded pretty dirty. Mix it with a band-pass filter and you're in heaven. :love: I was starting to get a headache from all this enjoyment now. :scared:

Some things I werent able to figure out were how to map controls to midi. I tried right clicking but there's no option. I mean, they have a nice set of features, but it would be a shame if I cant control all that with my controller.

Now, only problem is I already have GURU. :cry: I thought maybe the demo for B3 wont run in my oh-so-slow computer and I will be convinced not to buy it, but it runs perfectly fine and its so easy to use, thus tempting me from emptying my already-almost-empty wallet. :cry: I thought maybe I should wait for Guru to release their next update, and see how it goes. I dont want to buy this and then feel guilty that I'm going overkill on drum samplers. :cry: What say you KVR?

IMO, GURU and Battery compliment each other nicely.

Return to “Instruments”