Software Drum Machine with Step Sequencer?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Everyone. New around here, and to midi. Been playing around with Reason for a year and made a few tracks, lots of fun. Gonna take it a little further and move into the world of vsti and DAWs. But I really loved the Redrum, loved it...as well the Matrix pattern sequencer was amazing for laying down basslines.

I'm just wondering what software drim machines there are out there with step sequencers built in? I hear the RM IV is sick, but it doesnt have a step sequencer. Would it be tough gettting used to for me a relative rookie? And I'm wondering if there's an equivalent to the Matrix for laying out basslines?

Peace!

Andrew

Sonic Charge Microtonic 2
FL Studio

GURU of course.

Combined with an MPC or pad control and it's a wrap.

Although I use Battery 3. 8) No step sequencer though. :?

NUSofting dk+

GURU is even better than Redrum. It's like a Redrum and (almost) Dr. Rex in one, with a bigger better sequencer, built-in FX, and tons more stuff.

As for a Matrix substitute...some VSTs come with built-in step sequencers. But if you want a step sequencer you can use in conjunction with any VST, look at plugins like Sonicbytes ERA, or the built-in step sequencers in FL Studio, Project 5, etc.

If you're on a Mac, RS-16x from S'S Works
http://homepage.mac.com/seishu/ssworks/rs16x/rs16x.html

It's an MPC clone (and also listed in my equivalents list)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

wow you guys rock man...a deluge of input to wade through! Thank you kindly.

Seems as though FL Studio has become a force???

yes, FL is, at it's heart, the most versatile and powerful drum machine...

Compyfox wrote:If you're on a Mac, RS-16x from S'S Works
http://homepage.mac.com/seishu/ssworks/rs16x/rs16x.html

It's an MPC clone (and also listed in my equivalents list)
hey compyfox thanks for the link, do you use this and do you know if it has sample slicing, or if it imports and exports to the mpc-1000 format?
thanks again

I don't use this as I don't have a mac. But according to the homepage of RS-16x, you can exchange samples with one of the MPC series. It was built to work like one.

I'd say, grab the demo and try for yourself. A pity though that it isn't VSTi and for Windows, too.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote: A pity though that it isn't VSTi and for Windows, too.
tell me about it!, thats the reason i got a macbook recently these little apps keep popping up, that little beat machine thing they've got looks great too, if either of them were vstis and ran on xp he'd get alot of biters at those prices for sure.

SinisterMinister wrote:Hey Everyone. New around here, and to midi. Been playing around with Reason for a year and made a few tracks, lots of fun. Gonna take it a little further and move into the world of vsti and DAWs. But I really loved the Redrum, loved it...as well the Matrix pattern sequencer was amazing for laying down basslines.

I'm just wondering what software drim machines there are out there with step sequencers built in? I hear the RM IV is sick, but it doesnt have a step sequencer. Would it be tough gettting used to for me a relative rookie? And I'm wondering if there's an equivalent to the Matrix for laying out basslines?

Peace!

Andrew
FL Studio can do all of what you're asking for. Check out the demo and see for yourself.

Project 5 @ www.cakewalk.com

Return to “Instruments”