Does Yamaha make soft synths anymore?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://rapidshare.com/files/30327208/dlsbyxg.dls.html (SoundMAX XGLite DLS bank, originally part of an AC'97 driver set. quality of standard is XGlite; GS percussion map (ie: no 3rd snare), and possibly comparable to that of those below the PSR-200 series.) EDIT: Discovered that Bank MSB 127 contains XG-mapped drums, however this is inaccessible for channel 10)
http://rapidshare.com/files/30339541/S- ... p.zip.html (Single WAV files extracted from the wavetable from the 4MB bank found in Yohng.com, originally for this YMF bank editor.)

Thought I'd share this with you. I'm not sure if the DLS is the same as the one for S-YXG/DM. (Trying to obtain that)

Thanks MaliceX! I just downloaded the DLS and am downloading the wavetable now, and will check them out later. I have a Yamaha PSR-2000 keyboard with the full XG soundset.

Off-topic: RapidShare is REALLY annoying.

Doug
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

If you have a PSR-2000, you're probably not going to like the quality of the DLS. The only thing closest to that is the S-YXG2006LE VSTi, which isn't very close. (PSR-275 as I've stated earlier. XGlite, but better instruments)

I managed to get my hands on a S-YXG/DM setup. Can't quite get it to work as intended...

Excuse me for the bump, but here's an SF2-converted version of it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30487301/XG ... _.sf2.html

Testeed in sfz+ and works like a beaut. I recommend to use this over the DLS.

EDIT: actually, upon extensive testing, some presets are actually very unique and good on its own. Particularly some of the percussion which is comparable to the keyboards too.
Some instruments use low-end versions of higher-quality tones of sounds. One example is the orchestra hit.

"I managed to get my hands on a S-YXG/DM setup. Can't quite get it to work as intended..."

what problems did you have?

Testing on my Virtual PC, either I missed something or it didn't come with the DLS. (I already had S-YXG50 installed on it.)

Might have to do some more researching, really I just want to know if this thing uses something different or the same thing.

Could you just "unzip" the setup file with something like Universal Extractor and get the DLS file that way?

Using WinPack, I found no trace of a DLS file. (the whole setup is about 1.9mb, the S-YXG/DM.)

I think this will only work for those with S-YXG70 installed.

Note: dxdiag plays it fine, problem is it uses the MSGS bank which is definetly peculiar.

"Using WinPack, I found no trace of a DLS file. (the whole setup is about 1.9mb, the S-YXG/DM.)

I think this will only work for those with S-YXG70 installed. "

Could be a different installer packing method...Maybe I can have a go in retrieving the offending file..

Found it. It was in the actual game's music folder.

Okay, it appears to be a bank just larger bank but with less samples, otherwise it's identical to the one above with some changes, and some removals. (Particularly drumkits and extra banks)

Bigger size, I will find out why.

EDIT: I just realised the soundfont above didn't get all the banks converted. I used EXSC to convert it, and it literally killed off entire banks (particularly those in the Bank Select MSB ranges). Audio compositor doesn't save these properly (it distorts them), and Awave renumbers everything, as well has gets some instruments off-tuned.

Can anyone name a good DLS converter?

Awave Studio?

I've already tried:

Audio Compositor. (Keeps insturments, but it screws up the sampling articulations; ruins the quality for some odd reason. Everything sounds distorted.)

Awave Studio. (Keeps instruments, OMITS all instrument names, and for some stupid reason when converted to soundfont, the tuning is f**ked up. (Auditioning via the original file is fine until you save it to something. Some distortion as well.)

Extreme Sample Converter. (Best candidate. No quality loss. The only problem is, it doesn't keep instruments that use the extended bankswitches. (Bank Select MSB, or Bank select 129 to 16384. I've given tech support a line, hopefully this will be added on the next version.)

I had that SoundMAX DLS file for ages,but never used it once because it sounds like shit.

If you really want (a newer version of) it,you can just download the latest SoundMAX driver (from an ASUS motherboard driver DL page,for example) and extract the DLS with UniExtract.

Is that the best XG DLS file in existence?
I've been searching for a better one on the net all these years,but haven't found anything better than this steaming pile of crap.

Even the lowest-end S-YG20 sounds infinitely better than this soundfont.

EDIT: OK,some of those samples can be useful for LoFi stuff :D
Last edited by softsynth on Sun May 13, 2007 7:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

The S-YG20 uses a proprietary wave rom, as well as the S-YXG50, and the S-YXG2006LE.

I actually thought some (harp, orchestra hit, dulcimer, and drums) of the sounds in the DLS soundbank sound much better/appealing.

With a sort of template to look at, it may be good fortune to try replacing the samples on this and replacing them with the ones from the YMF/S-YXG50 wave rip set. (A possible project. :D)

Indeed it probably does sound like turd, but I'm a fanatic of the XG sounds.

Also, I've already had the DLS linked up on the top of this page. It sounds so much better when put through sfz as a soundfont. I'm awaiting for a good/proper DLS converter to come to light, or know how to get this problem fixed for Awave studio.

The only other DLS by Yamaha is the one from the FF8 PC version, and it's pretty much a stripped down version of that, but with different crap added that's specific to the FF8 songs that came with the game. (And that sounded pretty bad.)

...that also reminds me, anyone who bothers to search, that article on their 'DLS' thing in their site is propaganda. (There's no full XG DLS).

May as well grab a PSR-2000 or a Motif. :D (Or, an MU2000 or SW1000XG if anyone's selling theirs.)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hello All,

some interrest to this ? it is now free !

http://www.yohng.com/powerymf/ (http://www.yohng.com/powerymf/)

bye Toni
ktime+(gk_1*3),ifreq*gk_6*cent(kvib)/52,"PlingV.pvc"...

Return to “Instruments”