Roland D50 VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:
K-Bee wrote:If they don't want to do it themselves why not license the samples to some other developer and earn a bundle while they're at it.
Actually, maybe one has to simply ask them... I have a nice contact, I'll let you know what happens... if anything.

;) Urs
That would be great, thanks Urs :)

ben_horwood wrote:The moment they start to make VSTi's, even of their old units, people start questioning why they don't make VSTi's of their new/current stuff -> then people start questioning where the VFM in hardware is, when soft synths can do so much more -> then they stop purchasing new hardware.
Well, Korg is doing fine. They did vst's and people are still buying the hardware.
With all do respect, I don't think your argument is very valid one, sorry. :wink:

On another note,
I just downloaded the Tubeohm Vintage demo, since rumor has it that is very d50 like. Norton picked up a thread in the .exe named WS.Reputation.1
Just thought I'd mention it since the virus was instantly removed by Norton.

K-Bee wrote:
ben_horwood wrote:The moment they start to make VSTi's, even of their old units, people start questioning why they don't make VSTi's of their new/current stuff -> then people start questioning where the VFM in hardware is, when soft synths can do so much more -> then they stop purchasing new hardware.
Well, Korg is doing fine. They did vst's and people are still buying the hardware.
With all do respect, I don't think your argument is very valid one, sorry. :wink:

On another note,
I just downloaded the Tubeohm Vintage demo, since rumor has it that is very d50 like. Norton picked up a thread in the .exe named WS.Reputation.1
Just thought I'd mention it since the virus was instantly removed by Norton.
Korg looked at the situation and obviously decided that releasing plugin versions of those particular synths was not going to affect their current or planned products enough to be a problem... it's a judgement call. Roland appear to be making a different judgement, for whatever reason.

But you'll notice Korg haven't been rushing to do other plugins. They appear to find get a better return on investment by spending millions developing hardware.

TC ventured into native plugins, but later pulled out.

I sense this topic and the whole d50 vst idea is a very sensitive area for some. Maybe Roland do not want one and there's nothing we can do about that. I do have a feeling that some of you would hate seeing one around too :?:

K-Bee wrote:I sense this topic and the whole d50 vst idea is a very sensitive area for some. Maybe Roland do not want one and there's nothing we can do about that. I do have a feeling that some of you would hate seeing one around too :?:
It's not a sensitive topic... just a tired one that has been discussed to death, and always goes round and round in circles each time.

Since Roland are still selling or were recently still selling hardware boards to recreate the D50 sounds, they aren't exactly going to go and duplicate that in a piece of software that would eat into their hardware profits. Which is very different from Korg's VSTis, which the sounds were no longer being used in any of their modern synths.

Roland's main concern with soft synths has always been piracy, whereas they don't exactly have to worry about people copying/pirating their hardware.

Anyway, they HAVE been asked/approached several times in the past already, and their answer has always been the same. So I hardly doubt their stance has radically changed.

ben_horwood wrote:Which is very different from Korg's VSTis, which the sounds were no longer being used in any of their modern synths.
Well, at their Kronos hardware synth is based on some plugins from the Legacy Collection, innit?

K-Bee wrote:I sense this topic and the whole d50 vst idea is a very sensitive area for some. Maybe Roland do not want one and there's nothing we can do about that. I do have a feeling that some of you would hate seeing one around too :?:
Why? Because some of us disagree with your reasoning on the financial desirability of such a project for Roland?

ben_horwood wrote:
It's not a sensitive topic... just a tired one that has been discussed to death, and always goes round and round in circles each time.

Since Roland are still selling or were recently still selling hardware boards to recreate the D50 sounds, they aren't exactly going to go and duplicate that in a piece of software that would eat into their hardware profits. Which is very different from Korg's VSTis, which the sounds were no longer being used in any of their modern synths.

Roland's main concern with soft synths has always been piracy, whereas they don't exactly have to worry about people copying/pirating their hardware.

Anyway, they HAVE been asked/approached several times in the past already, and their answer has always been the same. So I hardly doubt their stance has radically changed.
True we've been in touch too :)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Urs wrote:
ben_horwood wrote:Which is very different from Korg's VSTis, which the sounds were no longer being used in any of their modern synths.
Well, at their Kronos hardware synth is based on some plugins from the Legacy Collection, innit?
And what do you reckon the odds are that future developments will be released as VSTs, or as Kronos only?

Or to put it another way, if you had a good sized captive market for one plugin format on one platform (fixed hardware and os), who you could pretty well guarantee would snap up your next plugin (which wouldn't have to be nearly as complex as zebra), with zero piracy... would you put yourself through the hassles we all do getting things to work on multiple platforms, systems, plugin formats and hosts?

Roland might look at the situation again and think it's worth it to develop or license a plugin D50, there are a number of factors for them to consider... but I won't be at all surprised if they don't.

I'm pretty sure Hollowsun is another person that has asked.

Also for your consideration, is that a lot of the sounds are probably leased from Eric Persing of Spectrasonics who probably still owns the rights to these. So they might not even BE Roland's sounds to give away anyway. :shrug:

Yet you all seem very eager to participate in the thread.

Anyway, forget I asked.
Judging upon the replies it seems I was right about being a sensitive topic though.
Thread left.

yeah, tube ohm vintage is really nice. Plus there is an update coming out in september that will be improve it as well. Can't wait.

Larry

Urs wrote:
And OASYS before it.

Aren't I glad that I have all the D50 samples on my PC. :)

EvilDragon wrote:
Urs wrote:
And OASYS before it.

Aren't I glad that I have all the D50 samples on my PC. :)
I've sampled my D50 as well but it doesn't sound the same as the original device. Single notes are fine but when playing a chord the samples starts to sound dull and lifeless while the actual hardware sounds rich and lively. I think it may have something to do with the limited hardware of the D50 that starts to glitch.

That's minutia. Of course modern hardware workstation DA converters have more headroom. The samples themselves are really useful for whatever. Love them in my Kurzweil PC3K8 :)

Return to “Instruments”