Nexus-can't figure out the arpeggiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The explanation in the manual doesn't help really.

What doesn't make sense to me is that I have a preset with an arp in it- Krystaline- and on the Arp page there is a 16x5 matrix with the middle line completely dark. The arpeggio sounds like it's going up but this is not shown visually. If I take out the arp on the mix page the movement stops.

I don't understand how the black blocks are supposed to relate to pitch. There are only 5 rows, so it seems to me you can't program all the notes. Is the Nexus Arp unable to program anything other than octave steps?

I wish there were a tutorial available somewhere!

Thanks for any help!

RR
Intel Mac, OSX 10.8x, RME Fireface, Logic 9

I can only relate to Nexus 1. They are related to octaves, so move the blocks upward or downward to change octave. Really funny when you concider playing a chord with 3 notes and having an arpeggio with 7/16 length. By holding down Shift and clicking on the grid then you adjust the length of the whole arpeggio, by holding Control and clicking on the steps then you affect the velocity. By draging the end of a step you can adjust how long that step will be played.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

Hey, thanks for the lightning reply ;-)!

So it seems the Nexus Arp is an octave thing- I know the Arp from Blue where you can have chromatic steps. But Nexus is an "easy-edit" synth so that figures.

What baffles me though is that this particular preset-AR Krystaline- has a part which goes up & down, tempo synced, which stops when I take the arp out of the mix for that osc-number 1 - but the arp itself (on the Arp page) is turned off and the arp pattern is just straight 16th notes on one level- completely different to what I'm hearing from that oscillator.There is only one Arpeggiator, right, not separate ones per oscillator?

It's a boon to have Nexus 2 though. I actually couldn't believe it when I bought Nexus 1 and realized you couldn't alter the relative levels of oscillators!

Cheers

RR

That is because the arpeggio is hardcoded inside the preset unaccesable for all normal users. And I'm also intresting in that arpeggio since it does some very intresting things.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

jobromedia wrote:That is because the arpeggio is hardcoded inside the preset unaccesable for all normal users. And I'm also intresting in that arpeggio since it does some very intresting things.
Ok, thanks, I get it.

RR

Nexus2 allows semitone arpeggios
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

Chris Walton wrote:Nexus2 allows semitone arpeggios
Thanks, but how? There are only 5 steps for pitch AFAIK.

RR

I wouldn't be that surprised if you had to use a shortcut key as I described above for that. The way I see it: Semitone arpeggios may sound cool, but lay it down in a chord and it would mostlikely sound like shit.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

jobromedia wrote:I wouldn't be that surprised if you had to use a shortcut key as I described above for that. The way I see it: Semitone arpeggios may sound cool, but lay it down in a chord and it would mostlikely sound like shit.
Regardless of anyones's musical choices or sense of harmony, an arpeggiator which doesn't allow free choice of notes is restricting IMO.

I'm just trying to figure this Nexus arpeggiator out. Apparently -this from the refx forum- there are also "hidden" arpeggiators inside the instrument, which means an arpeggio you hear in a patch-like the one in question in fact-may not actually be coming from the one editable user arpeggiator. Confusing? Well, yes, maybe a bit.....

RR 8)

Yeah, each layer may have its own arp which you can turn on or off.

I don't remember how to adjust the semitones and I'm not at home, will report back later.

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

Chris Walton wrote:Yeah, each layer may have its own arp which you can turn on or off.

I don't remember how to adjust the semitones and I'm not at home, will report back later.
Hi Chris, thanks...but I don't think each layer has it's own independent arpeggiator...I think there is only one available (to the user) and you can turn it on or off per layer.

best regards

RR

Each layer has its own arpeggiator, which can be turned on/off by the user but not controlled, and the entire patch has one arpeggiator which can be fully controlled by the user.

But can anyone provide an instruction on how to turn the arpeggiator completely off? Nothing states "Arpeggiator" in layers on some patches in Nexus 2.
Never mind. I just went to the arp page and "command" clicked all the little squares to make them disappear, then created a square and dragged it out as far as it would go. That effectively stopped it from arping.

To adjust by semitones in the arp, press the shift key and click drag the/any empty tinny box that becomes created below the desired arp note.

Return to “Instruments”