One-Synth-Challenge 16 ... Texture!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Texture

BTW, just discovered this comment on Krakli's site : "I overcame the SE multicore bug by using multiple copies of the RMXl.dll file renamed to RMXL2, RMXL3 etc" - apparently doing this workaround solves the synthedit multicore issue. I was having some issues with Texture, but will try this technique.
Edwin James Lynch (aka "Objectman")
Dead Eddy | Day Job | Follow Me

I have a Quadcore CPU, using Renoise 2.5.1 with all cores in use and have 13 instances of Texture... it's rocksolid here.
Last edited by RPH on Sun May 09, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ouch, sorry to hear folks are having issues with Texture ... :( ... although, it should no longer come as a surprise. I think as time goes on, we will continue to see such probs arise, and I think the best solution in the med to long term is to look around for a used single core machine for free, or very cheap... I am sure there are suitable machines in folks cupboards and bins right now which are well worth salvaging ... if only to use as extra storage/music player/OSC back up plan :) .... Wonder what all the Mac converts do with their old single core PCs?

:dog: :dog: :dog: :bang: :bang: :bang: :dog: :bang: :nutter:

I COMPLETELY forgot about the re naming of SE synths to use multiple instances.

I could have solved many OSC problems :cry: I'm such a schmuck!

where did I put those sticky notes !! :hihi: :hihi:

XGmode wrote:I have a Quadcore CPU, using Renoise 2.5.1 with all CPU's in use and have 13 instances of Texture... it's rocksolid here.
Hmmm, maybe a host issues more than a multi-core issue...I think I'll try Texture in Magix if I have trouble with this one.

tattiemannie wrote:Ouch, sorry to hear folks are having issues with Texture ... :( ... although, it should no longer come as a surprise. I think as time goes on, we will continue to see such probs arise, and I think the best solution in the med to long term is to look around for a used single core machine for free, or very cheap... I am sure there are suitable machines in folks cupboards and bins right now which are well worth salvaging ... if only to use as extra storage/music player/OSC back up plan :) .... Wonder what all the Mac converts do with their old single core PCs?
You forget they all upgraded from Apple II GS :-o Its a genetic defect.

:wink: :wink: in case young tikes are reading and just can't relate :hihi:

hakey wrote:
planet ugh wrote:Wow, this thing just keeps crashing and crashing and crashing.
I wanted to join in this time but i guess I must wait until a synth is chosen that works better on my system. sorry !
waiting for next month...
That sounds like the SE multi-core bug - if your DAW has the option, try disabling multi-coreprocessing.
nah, if it doesn't work, I de-install and don't look back, that's my policy on freebies.
like I said, I wait for next month and have a look at the next chosen synth then.

planet ugh wrote:I wait for next month and have a look at the next chosen synth then.
Same here.

Who do we have to lean on to influence the choice for the next OSC?

Would that be me? I can start a thread; but my mind is pretty much made up between 4 or 5 of them.

MA-Simon wrote:Same with me...
No problem opening and playing it, but when i close the current synth display, cubase just freezes and i have to press Strg+Alt+Entf to get the whole thing closed. Does someone know if cubase can switch to "singlecore".
I have a 925 quad-core processor - 6GB DDR3
I don't know Cubase enough to know if it has multi/single core switch. I'm pretty sure you're able to do it via task manager (at least with Windows XP).
Just start Cubase, open blank file, find in task manager your Cubase process, right click and set affinity to one core only (unmark the other cores). Now you should be able to open and work with your session file without problems. Affinity turns itself back to all cores after process is started, so you'll have to repeat these steps always after Cubase is restarted.

Reanming vst synths or plugs is also very good solution. Its main advantage it that it's very easy to apply and you won't loose multicore ability ;)

Hm... i'll try out this tomorrow. But the synth is working, i can also start multible instances its just that i can't "close" the synth-editing field wigthout crashing cubase. I do have this problem with a lot of things lately. All started with my new pc. I had to install all from scratch. Kontakt 3 is just not working in cubase 5 anymore. I loads, i can load an instrument, but when i want to edit things in there all knobs go... "blanc"-so i cant click on them anymore. Had the same with the Halion Symphonic Orchestra until i updated to the newest version.

Someone mentioned i shouldnt have installed all in the C:/Program Files(x84)/ folder but should have installed it all in an custom C:/Mynewfolder/ couse win vista and 7 would block some functions in the program folders.

MA-Simon wrote:Someone mentioned i shouldnt have installed all in the C:/Program Files(x84)/ folder but should have installed it all in an custom C:/Mynewfolder/ couse win vista and 7 would block some functions in the program folders.
Try right clicking on your Cubase icon or exe and selecting "Run As Administrator." That will grant Cubase the rights to allow VSTs to write to file within the Program Files directory. (Which is needed to load SE plug-ins, as well as run/register many other plug-ins out there.)

Also, as others have noted, Texture was built years ago with a version of SynthEdit that turned out to not support multi-core processors. The best workaround for this is to make copies of the dll and rename them (texture1.dll, texture2.dll, etc.) and then load those instead of new instances of the same dll. That will avoid the multi-core bug, which can cause crashes during usage as well as upon saving and reloading songs.

By the way, I am working on updating my plug-ins with the new version of SE, which will eliminate the multi-core bug. It's going to be a while before they are all done, though, because my time is very limited these days. (Day job, etc.)

I literally just copied and pasted the Texture.dll file repeatedly in the same directory (in Win XP) and now all works fine. No crashes. I guess most free synths will be done in Synthedit. So copying a small .dll file repeatedly is no issue (10 second job - no joke) for me at all. If I want another instance I just open the next .dll copy (which is even called Copy 1, Copy 2 etc.).

I just recently updated Komplete 5 to Komplete 6 and now nothing works! Not even the old K5 stuff.

So paying for something doesn't necessarily mean it's "better". It often just means they have nicer banner ads ;)

And arguably - to be really honest - the last two free synths have sounded just as fantastic as all my paid-for (and often problematic) expensive NI crap! The GUIs weren't as flash.

More "free" stuff I say - and if the UGO and Krakli boys buzz around support forums, offering all kinds of tech and synth support, it's a no-brainer as to who I'm going to give my money to in the future. I'd love to get on the upgrade curves for synths that these guys really pour their hearts and souls into as they're pretty darn great!
Edwin James Lynch (aka "Objectman")
Dead Eddy | Day Job | Follow Me

Cheers for the helpful advice ugo :) ... and all the best updating your plugs!

... Now ... anymore submissions coming? I did some work on mine last night and wishing I hadn't decided to try Buzz! :-o ... 7 instances, and I'm maxed out! .... and having difficulty stopping the vst sound continuing ... it seems as if it doesn't send note off info when phrases finish or something like that. Cant find any info re. control codes.... they might be in the manual, but haven't found them yet.
I'll persevere, and I'm sure I'll get there eventually ... any help would be appreciated though :)

tattiemannie wrote: ... Now ... anymore submissions coming? I did some work on mine last night and wishing I hadn't decided to try Buzz! :-o ... 7 instances, and I'm maxed out!
We have till the 27th, i will submit a few days before that hehe.
My track is at 4min. now, i need to change a couple of things and decide on the end bit.

7 instances? wow.. i should be very happy with my PC..15/16 instances 30/40% CPU.

Return to “Instruments”