Digital Emulation of Analogue - Who Cares?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I care deeply - it's important to talk to about

It's somewhat important to me
45%
I don't care at all / it's not important to me
55%

Total votes: 183

RELATED
PRODUCTS

goldenanalog wrote:Ahhhhhhhh, the memories -

Sometimes it's fun to (re)discover (or revisit) a thread like this, no?

I wound up here looking for some of WMP's posts - he's the guy who made Zero-G's Phaedra, and unfortunately lost his shorts on it -
Judging by all the analog emulations that are selling like crazy, I'd say a lot of people seem to care.

dumbest.thread.ever.

The OP should be banned.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

If it sounds good, then I don't care.

I used to care, but now I'd rather focus on making good music.
:borg:

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

cryophonik wrote:

dumbest.thread.ever.

The OP should be banned.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Noway, dude!

V0RT3X wrote:If it sounds good, then I don't care.

I used to care, but now I'd rather focus on making good music.
Sometimes, even if it sounds bad, I still don't care - especially when the audience doesn't notice! :tu: :party:

wagtunes wrote:

I wound up here looking for some of WMP's posts - he's the guy who made Zero-G's Phaedra, and unfortunately lost his shorts on it -
Judging by all the analog emulations that are selling like crazy, I'd say a lot of people seem to care.
A lot of real-deal analogue 'affordables' are out there, too, wagtunes!

DIVA exists. There is no longer a need for analog emulations.

(Along comes RePro-1) OOH IT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER!

I just read that Prez Trump approved a mission to Mars, today!

I wonder what synth they'll take with them?

Mars might be an interesting composing environment -

It'll be from the unreleased TrumpSynth lineup.
:borg:

Codestation wrote:DIVA exists. There is no longer a need for analog emulations.

(Along comes RePro-1) OOH IT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER!
:hihi:

I really like Poly-Ana. And XILS Labs. Those, in addition, to everything Urs does.

V0RT3X wrote:It'll be from the unreleased TrumpSynth lineup.
Ohh nooo - hadn't thought about that -

- since it will be made out of solid gold (or he will say that it is :hihi: ) there will be (1) crew member left behind to compensate for the added weight.

wagtunes wrote:

No they don't (care).

Analog emulations are just commodities (as are HW nowadays, btw. they just cost a whole lot more).
They're like your shoes, your socks, your pants. that's why they "are selling like crazy".
(think I'm BS'ing ? head to Pensado TV. watch DP interviews Andrew Scheps. at one point DP asks Scheps "I just sometimes FEEL like TRYING OUT NEW SH1T... don't you ?? ". that's consumption, not using "tools"...)

We buy, we sell, we consume. we COVET (preferably tools that mimic the tools that were used to make music we grew upon).

That's the whole story.

What is refered to as 'Analog synthesizers' is an important part of electronic instruments story, and therefore ... music.

From the Telharmonium, Teremin or Ondes Martenot to the Model D, it took decades, pionneers and genius to give birth to a myriad of instruments that, if they used some similar technologies, all had their own character, advantages, weaknesses, and unique features. (This for all those who think that there's a definitive 'analog emulation' that closes the case, because they can't hear, or are not interested,in the differences between different synths)

FM/PM, and Sampling/Additive are also part of history. Wave Table is another important variation, often simply derived from/married with a more traditional substractive paradigm. More will certainly come. And it will take some time. Actually, more also see the light everyday, by little technologic bounds, or innovation, or both combined. Some people just don't see it. And some people just don't need it. Nobody to blame.

So, for me, it simply makes sense.

I like analog. And VAs. I like pretty much all forms of synthesis.

Welcome to the beautiful world of synthesizers.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Whatever synthesis, the result is just, well, synthetic.
Nothing wrong with that, though. I couldn't care less about digital vs analog as long as the synth's sound quality as such is great and I can get the sounds out of it that I need.

Wow, a 7 year old thread :)

Return to “Instruments”