One-Synth-Challenge 18 - SoHa Sonata!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sonata

Yeah! .. love that painting! ... anyway, almost exactly 3 days to GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Image

Hi there (nice pic)... I posted my "song" a lot of time ago... very hard to use... this vst, but the thing that came through was quite interesting (I should have done a better work to avoid some strange noises... but... now it's too late)... uh... I signed myself ad beatsoul...

Here's my entry for this time:

Soha Sonata by HiEnergy

This track was prototyped with Cognitone Synfire 1.1 and produced with Ableton Live 8.

Sound sources used: SoHa Sonata x8

Effects used:
Ableton EQ8 (DAW integrated equalizer) x1
Ableton utility (DAW integrated stereo width correction) x2

Right ...this debacle is called:

"Almost What I Wanted" ...

...but still waaaay off ...

I tried to use :

9 x Sonata 1.1

Track FX :

1 x ReaComp
1 x Omniverb (on the illegal version)
(Should have used 7 more compressors to tame this thing but...hey).

Master Fx:

1 x CLAS
1 x TLs Maximizer
1 x DensityMKII (on the non verb version)

Some EQ, NO automation (who needs it, Sonata does this all by itself). No production.

Missing notes (played by me and my DAW, but not by Sonata), could not find the "hidden" LFO hardwired to the volume and resonance. (High arp-notes slowly disappearing and coming back way too loud).
Reverb does something weird to the sounds attack and volume and pan at random. Mostly unusable.
Delay sometimes just quits. And even with the poly on 16 and almost no release a 4 note chord sometimes just gives two notes or just one ...what gives?

It must be me and my old PC, and I'm doing it all WRONG, but except for the bass I made (and like) this really was a challenge with a capital C.

So what you hear is what Sonata made of my track... call it a remix if you will.

I uploaded two versions, one without any external reverb (only Sonata's own reverb on the bells),
and one with one instance of omniverb.

So you have a choice: one that sounds like crap, or one that sounds like crap with (illegal) reverb.

All the above should be taken with a grain of Angelina Jolie.

Enjoy. :D

Cheers for the submissions guys :) .... It's coming across loud and clear that this synth has some potential for superb sounds ... but a beast to tweak! ... and a challenge to 'unfit' PCs ... I'm way behind, but will finish my track on Sunday ... but it's already got to the point that I have to use sounds already created in different frequencies and see what happens ....as opposed to creating any more, because my DAW is flat out with only 9 instances!! :(

... But ... A challenge it is, and a real challenge! ... as evidenced by some participants need to CHEAT :hihi: :hihi:

You know I was thinking about entering an illegal track as well as I couldn't cope with the onboard reverb - something a couple of others found too I see.. This was not the only reason I won't be submitting this time, but a part of it.

Didn't get further than the presets on Sonata to see those quirks you found Yeager, but definitely some nice sounds from this synth.

Hope people choosing coming synths will check out any onboard verbs before selecting or you be more lenient in this department Tattie, as onboard reverb is usually the Achilles heel of most freeVSTi's and goes beyond being a challenge to sort out imo.

Just uploaded my submission. It's called Bells. Though Sonata has some nice sounds I didn't find it very flexible.

Used 7 instances of Soha Sonata.

Terry west compressor and AradazMaximizer5 in Master track. ADT in percussion track and WTComp in Flute track.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

I take on board what you say V'ger, I intended to be hard on permitted FX, but I think I got it wrong this time.

Also, to beat myself up further, I didn't realise at the time how much CPU Sonata was sucking up .... And so, I suspect one good reverb plug on a send channel ( instead of using onboard fx for every sound ) would have saved CPU load overall, and allowed for more instances of Sonata ( and therefore more sounds.

I will be launching OSC19 tomorrow so I'll bear in mind the need to check out onboard fx ( though I dont remember SQ8L having any ... does it? )

Anyway ... less than 12 hours to go, and my track is a long way from being finished :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

.... wish me luck :hihi:

Allright.. managed to get something together this time as well.

This is really basic stuff... part experimentation, part lack of time.

Name:Dream Sequence
Host: FL Studio
Instances of Sonata: 5
FX: NastyVCS, Hbasms Stereoizer
Sounds: All stock presets
Automation: About NONE

Gets somewhat muddy toward the end, but then most dreams do ;)

Take care, and try not to fall asleep!

gravejester / Peninsula Breeze

great stuff gravejester ... cheers for the submission :) .. I got mine 'finished' as well ... could happily do a remix, and sort out a couple of rogue beats, but notime, so here we go.

Soha-Sogood - tattiemannie

Host: FL8
Sounds: 13x Sonata
Fx: 6x mda Dynamics
No Automation.

So that's 11 tracks .... not bad at all really, :)

I'll get the voting thread up tomorrow :)

I may be a tad late, but I actually have something this time. Will upload shortly - hope I make it!

Alright, my tune is up. It's my first time, so be gentle with me. :D Can't believe I actually wrote one in a major key - kinda goes against my natural inclination, I think. Mix might be a little low, but that's what your volume control is for...

Lazy Summer - batgab

SoHa Sonata x 8

GComp compressor x 2
Wurr Audio Filtertute x 1
rs-met EasyQ x 1

VST Host: Muse Receptor
Sequencer and Mastering: Studio One Pro
S1 Pro native bus comp & eq

All songs can now be downloaded via direct links or all in one go (the link called VBR ZIP in the left menu) here: http://www.archive.org/details/KvrOsc18Sonata

cheers for the submission batbab :)

Cheers V'ger for zipping the collection and uploading the tracks etc. I'll get the voting thread up as soon as I can grab a spare bit of time ... prob early evening :)

yeah ... early evening indeed ... except for the inconvenience of having a good friend who has a birthday and invites me to the maddest pub in Aberdeen with lots of friends who love to drink like there's no tomorrow and expect me to behave likwise .... oi'll ha-ave the vwotin sthread up shoon! :drunk:

Return to “Instruments”