PRODUCTS
Revitar Revitar 2

And again, modulation wheel stops the strings (palm muting, basically) :wink:

yes, that's pretty cool ! thanx Mac of BIOnighT :D

I've spent more time playing it & it's real pleasure,
but I'm having troubles getting to grips with the mono mode's behaviour,
(am I the only one ?)
it seems to revolve around the 1st note played,
(I guess that I'm used to having it revolve around the last note played)
& releasing that 1st note played cuts any note that comes after it even if it's held ...

In theory, f you don't want the mod wheel to stop the strings, you can reassign the Midi CC for the "Palm" knob. Send the new Midi CC, then Ctrl+Click on it.

The original web site has a manual for Revitar2 on
http://www.cuttermusic.com/productsRV2.htm
or direct link:
http://www.cuttermusic.com/Revitar2Manual.pdf
which shows the default CC assignments and how to change them.

It's still valid with my derivate; there's only one little addition: pressing the Alt key before clicking on a knob to adjust the value allows circular movement, which the original didn't provide at all.

[Edit:] hmmm... I just tried this with the "Palm" knob, and it doesn't really work as described; I'll look into it next week.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

arakula wrote:In theory, f you don't want the mod wheel to stop the strings, you can reassign the Midi CC for the "Palm" knob. Send the new Midi CC, then Ctrl+Click on it.
thanks for the tip Arakula :)

do you think that something could be done for the mono mode ?
I'm sure that it could be much more playable if the 1st note's behaviour could be modified so that it doesn't cut the flow of the next when it is released ...
it'd be awesome if only the last note/key played/released defined when the sound stops :)

(I'm not sure if I'm expressing what I mean correctly,
please excuse my french :oops: )

that'd be really great :D

taotekid wrote:do you think that something could be done for the mono mode ?
I'm sure that it could be much more playable if the 1st note's behaviour could be modified so that it doesn't cut the flow of the next when it is released ...
it'd be awesome if only the last note/key played/released defined when the sound stops :)
The "MONO" mode is supposed to be used in combination with the slide control to create guitar slides with each other. It took me more than a week to understand how everything works. Because is Revitar2 uses physical modelling, it is unique in the way its controls interacts. E.g. try mono mode combined with chord strumming to create chord strums.

If changes are to be made to the MONO mode or the way the PALM damping/STOP works, please make these optional because some users are already using these "quirks" as-is ...

asseca wrote:The "MONO" mode is supposed to be used in combination with the slide control to create guitar slides with each other.
yes, thanks Asseca, I noticed the subtlety in the slide/hammer-pull control :)

what I mean regarding the mono mode has more to do with what I think is called the note "priority",
for instance,
try this, you'll see what I mean :

in mono mode with the sustain off,
with the slide control at zero/with the knob at approximately 9 o'clock,
& the string damping control down to get a long note,
if you press 3 keys one after the other without releasing any of them
& then play a 4th key & release it,
you'll hear the 1st note you played when you release the 4th key,
while most VST instruments I know/use would repeat the 3rd one
(which was the last note you played before you played the 4th) ...

what seems to be the most common 'note priority' mono mode in VST instruments is the last note played/held, not the 1st one ...

also,
& this is the most problematic behaviour I found regarding Revitar's mono mode :

with the same settings as above,
& then release the 1st key you played,
the 3rd note (that you're still holding) will stop !

which means that if you want to play long series of legato notes (without cutting any) you have to always hold the 1st key you played :P

I'm sorry if my attempt at explaining this is confusing :oops:
there must be a simpler, less convoluted way to express it using the right words,
but I did my best with the vocabulary I've got :)

taotekid wrote:
asseca wrote:The "MONO" mode is supposed to be used in combination with the slide control to create guitar slides with each other.
yes, thanks Asseca, I noticed the subtlety in the slide/hammer-pull control :)

what I mean regarding the mono mode has more to do with what I think is called the note "priority",
for instance,
try this, you'll see what I mean :

in mono mode with the sustain off,
with the slide control at zero/with the knob at approximately 9 o'clock,
& the string damping control down to get a long note,
& then play a 4th key & release it,
you'll hear the 1st note you played when you release the 4th key,
while most VST instruments I know/use would repeat the 3rd one
(which was the last note you played before you played the 4th) ...

what seems to be the most common 'note priority' mono mode in VST instruments is the last note played/held, not the 1st one ...
Revitar is not a normal VST instrument, but attempts to emulate the real-time playing ability of a real guitar. The note-priority is intentionally NOT the same as other synths.
In MONO mode, Revitar is forced to play all notes on a single string (see page 3 of the manual), therefore it is best not to press more than 2 keys at a time, just like on a real guitar. After all, pressing down a string a 3 different locations does not make a lot of senae on a real guitar :wink:
The trick is to experiment with the MONO behaviour by using only 2 notes. For example hold down the 1st note (MONO=on, SUSTAIN=off, SLIDE=0.1) then quickly play note-2 and then quickly release note 1 :: there is a quick slide from note-1 to note-2, and when when releasing note-1 the note-2 is stopped.
taotekid wrote:also,
& this is the most problematic behaviour I found regarding Revitar's mono mode :

with the same settings as above,
& then release the 1st key you played,
the 3rd note (that you're still holding) will stop !
This is intentional, see my explanation above ...
taotekid wrote:which means that if you want to play long series of legato notes (without cutting any) you have to always hold the 1st key you played :P
When no slides are needed, I play mono legato with SUSTAIN=off and MONO=off. Because Revitar is able to switch presets in real-time I then switch to the next preset to do a slide using (MONO=on, SUSTAIN=on/off), depending what effect I want.

Again, try to think of Revitar as a guitar, not a synth ... the controls are designed to emulate playing guitar, not piano ...

TIPs:
  • make different presets in a bank with variations of MONO, SUSTAIN, CHORDS and switch on-the-fly between these presets -- this is the method I use to re-create different playing styles
  • try the Clean Electric Guitar Collection
Last edited by asseca on Mon May 26, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asseca wrote:After all, pressing down a string a 3 different locations does not make a lot of sense on a real guitar :wink:
Actually, it does, if you use it for pull-offs.

Currently, the priority is set to "First" in any case, no matter which additional set of notes is played. IMO, to emulate the behavior of a real string, it should be set to "highest". That means:
.) if 2 or more notes are pressed, and (one of) the lower note(s) is released, nothing should happen.
.) if the highest note is released, the next-highest note should be used.

But you're definitely right in one thing - any changes to the functionality should be done in a way that allows the old behavior, too.

i discover your vst today, it is AWESOME.

thanks, this sound is great.

my little demo :

http://soundcloud.com/malsain/malsain-au-bord-de-leau

arakula wrote:
asseca wrote:After all, pressing down a string a 3 different locations does not make a lot of sense on a real guitar :wink:
Actually, it does, if you use it for pull-offs.
Sorry, you are right, don't know if pull offs is possible with Revitar, I suppose one would use the PALM + STOP for that ...
arakula wrote:Currently, the priority is set to "First" in any case, no matter which additional set of notes is played. IMO, to emulate the behavior of a real string, it should be set to "highest". That means:
.) if 2 or more notes are pressed, and (one of) the lower note(s) is released, nothing should happen.
.) if the highest note is released, the next-highest note should be used.
In you scenario, how would one then do a bi-directional glide in MONO-mode ??
Last edited by asseca on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

thanks Asseca & Arakula :)

yes, I think that highest note priority would make a lot more sense
& would make Revitar much more playable in mono mode,
though last note priority would really be awesome :P

a multi mono mode with switchable note priority would really be great,
some VST instruments do offer that option :wink: ...

revitar 2 works with vista and windows seven or not ?

new kids on the block wrote:revitar 2 works with vista and windows seven or not ?
No problem for me in Win 7 64 bit.

I've just uploaded an update.

This one contains an addition that can only be activated by the Registry Editor.
Once it's been loaded into a VST host for the first time, an additional parameter will appear in the registry; a DWORD value called ControllerBits that's located at the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\CutterMusic\Revo2
as usual.
Currently, this is a global setting; I'm not sure yet how to do it better.
I came across the problem that Revitar doesn't handle 14-bit CCs correctly - it treats them as separate entities. Once you send in a 14-bit controller, Revitar remembers the second CC of the sequence only. If you assign that to a knob by ctrl-clicking on it, you'll see "interesting" value changes, as the first and second part of the controller will fight for dominance over the knobs 8-)... and because the lower part of the 14-bit controller will NOT rise gradually; its value can jump wildly.

So, if you got a keyboard that outputs 14-bit CCs, you can set the value ControllerBits to 14 (decimal! Actually, any value above 7 will do it), and Revitar will treat Controllers 32-63 as the lower part of Controllers 0-31.

Plus, quite a lot of code cleanup.

And I've added an x64 generation option to the VS2005 project for those who want to experiment. This is largely untested yet.

You can download the executable here, and the source code here (see this post for building details).

I've just uploaded an update.

This time, I've worked on the processing algorithm.

The logic is the same as before, but it's been rewritten in a way that allows the compiler to generate more efficient code. By thumb's rule I'd say it's about 5% faster now.

Plus, quite a lot of code cleanup.

You can download the executable here, and the source code here (see this post for building details).

Return to “Instruments”