VSTi most like Virus C?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.

Greg
Where have all the adverbs gone?

That Surviv-B is the one I was speaking of. It's a MONSTER. I don't know why, or how, or who made it, but it rocks. No arp, like I said, but if you have Reaktor, do yourself a favor and get it.

osiris wrote:That Surviv-B is the one I was speaking of. It's a MONSTER. I don't know why, or how, or who made it, but it rocks. No arp, like I said, but if you have Reaktor, do yourself a favor and get it.
Sounds pretty convincing that Surviv-B. Are there some more patches on the net? Dont know who did it but it looks like some people that have a virus-b take that reaktor clone to replace it , which is quite amazing :shock:

IMO rob papen predator sounds the closest to a virus

mungocherry33 wrote:IIRC, this has been covered before but I couldn't find it by using the search option.

What VSTi is the most similar to the Virus C, especially in features and controls, if not exactly sound-alike?
Features and controls, especially on the C and earlier, are pretty standard (virtual) analog stuff with some decent effects tacked on at the end. There are tons of VST's with the same basic layout that can easily be used to emulate the Virus.

The actual sound character of the oscillators, filter etc. are however impossible to emulate 100% accurately without access (sorry for the pun) to the source code (which is proprietary and only known to Access Music employees). However this is also true for almost all plugins that use proprietary code, except those made with e.g. SynthEdit that share the exact same modules, just hidden under different GUIs.

So I wouldn't obsess over find a plugin that is identical to the Virus, because it doesn't exist. Just find something you like and you think sound good. During your search, you might come across something with a completely different character, that nevertheless "clicks" with you.
Last edited by JimmiG on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

I know nothing will get close, but Rapture does a pretty good job... :hail:

Thanks again for all the thoughtful responses.

G
Where have all the adverbs gone?

It's in the sig. I sold my Virus TI awhile back because Sylenth 1 sounded way better and I know about 15 other people who sold their Access Virus synths because of Sylenth 1. 8)

That's bizarre - the Ti has a much broader sound palette than Sylenth (which personally I was not impressed by)

Perhaps it would be a reasonable substitute for one of the earlier Virii but not a Ti (unless you only use it as a VA)

I have Virus Ti myself and i would say Dune, Audjoo Helix, Native Instruments Massive.

If for the sound Audjoo helix comes to my mind, if for similar controls Dune and besides that its sound is CLEAR (thats what 1st thing about virus sound, its clear), for sound Massive and synth itself versitile (but i dont like massive because of its controls).

Dont get me wrong, they dont have that virus character, its very similiar because all those synthesizers has own sound signature wich on certain sounds can sound like virus. From all those Helix has that virusy sound, but its GUI is just disastrious.

I dont understand where people get this idea that Predator is closest to virus. The sound is just way too dirty to compare to virus.

BFunKu wrote:It's in the sig. I sold my Virus TI awhile back because Sylenth 1 sounded way better and I know about 15 other people who sold their Access Virus synths because of Sylenth 1. 8)
Sylenth1 is a fantastic synth. Great for leads, fat wide pads and strings and meaty filter sweeps (with the distortion and overdrive) and a great effects section. However it's one of the least flexible synths in the price range. There are tons of presets for it, but after he first 20 or so, they all start sounding the same. It doesn't replace the Virus, but it can do some of the same things, so for *that* particular sound, it's great.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

Predator isnt close to virus, the same goes for albino. Especially Albino has a weird unison, but nice arpeggiator section.

I sold my Virus C Rack XL because of Sylenth1. I reprogrammed all my patches on Sylenth1 . A "unison scream" patch that comes very very close to the virus. Futhermore i programmed a gate-sequence and an arp-sequence, which were pretty nice virus-like on the sylenth1 , have a look at that mp3-sample.

Audio Demo
http://www.dimanchenoir.com/asr/sylenth1-demo.mp3

cheers!

ElectraX
Dune
Zebra2
Sylenth
Gladiator
Firebird
Komplexer/Largo
Massive
Vanguard
Albino
Predator
Zero Vector
Sytrus
Helix
Surge

sysscan wrote:ElectraX
Dune
Zebra2
Sylenth
Gladiator
Firebird
Komplexer/Largo
Massive
Vanguard
Albino
Predator
Zero Vector
Sytrus
Helix
Surge
Is there ANY synth that, in your opinion, doesn't sound like the Virus?

Return to “Instruments”