Can't Get Any Sound From Proteus VX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey folks,

I just installed Proteus VX on my Win 7 64 bit machine. I can't get any sound out of it though. I tried both the standalone program and as an instrument in Cubase 5 but get the same result. My MIDI keyboard (M-Audio Oxygen 49) works fine with other instruments.

Here's what I'm doing. If I'm in Cubase, I add a new Instrument Track. I then chose Proteus as the VST. This creates the track. I make sure the input is either All Midi Inputs or my Oxygen 49. If I play though, the track doesn't show that it's detecting input and I don't get sound. So, I click the instrument button which loads up the Proteus screen. Then I went to the File Menu and chose Select Proteus VX. This gave an error that had a file path and said "...is not a valid EOS or Emulator X bank file" (also came the first time I loaded the stand alone program but again hasn't come back). I clicked OK. The error hasn't come back although the option Select Proteus VX is no longer in the file menu. Anyways, I changed the Preset Number, I tried playing. No sound, however the red dot at the top of the Proteus screen shines every time I hit a key on the keyboard, so it appears to be receiving the MIDI. I tried also changing the channel number, but no luck. I also tried clicking on the library tab and choosing a preset, but again, no sound.

Again...if I use the built-in Cubase instruments or the Microsoft Wavetable, it works fine.

What step am I missing here? Is it because of that error? Thanks!

Haven't used it in a while but i remember you have to load a sound library into it before it'll play anything. But you said you have presets so maybe you did that already?

When you choose a preset, do you drag it onto the interface? That works for me. Just clicking on it doesn't do anything.

I got kinda the same problem except I'm on Xp 32 bit the standalone works fine, but the vst loaded in my daw doesn't?

A bank (.exb) is loaded by selecting Open from the File menu.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Creative Professional\E-MU Sound Central\Proteus X Composer v2.0.1.exb

If it doesn't load, your download could potentially be corrupt.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Nullqwerty wrote:I just installed Proteus VX on my Win 7 64 bit machine. I can't get any sound out of it though.

I went to the File Menu and chose Select Proteus VX. This gave an error that had a file path and said "...is not a valid EOS or Emulator X bank file"
Stab in the dark:

You have the UAC on and you are not running VX / Host as administrator.

My problem with the VX was, it played, but it didn't sync. There was a very noticeable lag between note and note played. Made it totally unusable. Shame because it had some nice libraries.

shanecgriffo wrote:Haven't used it in a while but i remember you have to load a sound library into it before it'll play anything. But you said you have presets so maybe you did that already?
+1

osiris wrote:My problem with the VX was, it played, but it didn't sync. There was a very noticeable lag between note and note played.
Working perfectly here. Both SA and VSTi.

Only thing that does my head in is automation.

Graphical elements (knobs) move as expected but the values themselves are not changing. :nutter:

Will try to get to the bottom of this as soon as i have the time...

Thanks everyone! Got a few things to try out here tonight. First is dragging the preset rather than clicking it. Second is running as administrator. Third is trying to use File->Open to load a new bank. Fourth is a reinstall. I'll attempt tonight and post back the results.

Thanks again!!!

osiris wrote:My problem with the VX was, it played, but it didn't sync. There was a very noticeable lag between note and note played. Made it totally unusable. Shame because it had some nice libraries.
+1
i was hoping there was some setting that would fix it, but after messing around with it for about an hour, i gave up... really wanted this one to work too :?
[Insert Signature Here]

well, i see that there are buffer/sample rate settings that i CAN change when playing Proteus via standalone. but when i play as a vst, these settings are greyed-out and i am unable to change them, so there is a permanent lag... what the hell... :dog:
[Insert Signature Here]

Nullqwerty wrote:Got a few things to try out here tonight. First is dragging the preset rather than clicking it.
Another Tip:

When you select presets, dont do it from the Library tab.

Do it from the Sampler tab instead.

(Not sure if this is a bug or by design, but when i select a preset from the Library tab, all that happens is that the synth-portion of the window goes blank. The only way to actually play a preset from the Library lists is to right-click a presets name and select 'audition'. (However, the window stays blank regardless.) Loading presets via the Sampler tab works fine, though, so its probably a good idea to try it there first, you know, just in case.)

I could never get it fixed either. You could definitely tell it was not synced because if you played it with another VST playing the same notes - you could hear it.
There was some trick way back someone said they had success with, but I can't remember what it was.

osiris wrote:I could never get it fixed either. You could definitely tell it was not synced because if you played it with another VST playing the same notes - you could hear it.
There was some trick way back someone said they had success with, but I can't remember what it was.
i'm hoping someone will post up here with the work-around because i would LOVE to be able to use it! :D
[Insert Signature Here]

Return to “Instruments”