Steinberg Padshop

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

metal wrote:It this is true and Padshop really will be included in the next Cubase update, it would've been nice to have this info from Steinberg directly to prevent Cubase users from buying a product which they'll get for free within the coming month(s) anyway...
They have - it's out today and the page states clearly it will be in Cubase 6.5 too

downloaded :)

BertKoor wrote:
jdieks wrote:Most "romplers" can't load samples and they've been used in 1000s of records and many of them (the records) don't sound the same too. Some limitations can cause you not to be lazy...
+1. And does e.g. Omnisphere support loading user samples? Did that hurt it's popularity? I guess not...
But Omnisphere comes with a ton more content than Steinberg offers.

To me it looks and sounds like yet another tarnce pad machine with a twist. It would be great to actually use a voice sample from your singer or something, then funk it up with a random beat as second layer, etc.

I mean... we get ton of offerings with samplepacks we can buy on top of the content we actually need. As example another dance set: you only want the percussion section - heck you get bass, pads, leads and FX on top of it. But you can't do much unless you know how to mess them up within Kontakt or Halion (if they're already mapped for Halion that is).

Why let all this stuff go to waste? Oh wait... this is what synths like Alchemy are for. :roll:

I'm just saying that they are wasting their potential.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

After listening to the demos again, I still don't get what all the fuss is about?
To me it sounds pretty ordinary actually.

I just don't hear anything special or unique to make me want this. :shrug:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

ben_horwood wrote:After listening to the demos again, I still don't get what all the fuss is about?

Yes and epecially if you have Alchemy & Omnisphere :wink:

Neon Breath wrote:
ben_horwood wrote:After listening to the demos again, I still don't get what all the fuss is about?

Yes and epecially if you have Alchemy & Omnisphere :wink:
That's true. But even if I didn't, I could probably still get there with a bunch of good freebies. :shrug:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

PlasticSoul wrote:I really like pads, but I have komplete 6 and I love Absynth 5, do you think I need padshop... It sounds very good too... I'm confused... :oops:
Personally, I think the the Padshop demos sound better than Absynth.

Old Crab wrote:Really hard to believe that they would make it VST3 only.
Why are people criticizing Steinberg for making this VST3-only rather than criticizing their hosts for not supporting VST3? Some benefits of VST3 include:

Improved Performance
Some current plug-ins are known to be heavy on CPU load. Managing large plug-in sets and multiple virtual instruments on typical project studio computer systems can often be difficult because of CPU performance limits. VST3 helps to improve overall performance by applying processing to plug-ins only when audio signals are present on their respective inputs. So instead of always processing input signals, even when there is only silence present, VST3 plug-ins can apply their processing economically and only when it is needed.

Multiple Dynamic I/Os
VST3 plug-ins are no longer limited to a fixed number of inputs and outputs. Their I/O configuration can dynamically adapt to the channel configuration they're inserted in. For example, the new VST3 plug-ins in Cubase 4 can work in stereo-mode when inserted into a stereo channel, but switch to 6 channels when inserted into a 5.1 channel. In any case, each audio channel is processed independently. Interaction between channels depends on the type and design of the plug-in. While it is still eligible to have dedicated surround plug-ins, basically any VST3 plug-in can be surround-capable with true multi-channel processing. In addition to their flexible audio bussing capabilities, VST3 plug-ins may also offer a dedicated event bus. Typically, this is a MIDI input for control/modulation but these busses are no longer restricted to MIDI standard only. Future plug-ins may replace the common MIDI interface with alternative control methods.

Activating/Deactivating Busses
A typical issue with current virtual instruments is their audio output bussing system and how they're connected to the mixer after loading. Especially virtual samplers with multiple outputs often occupy more mixer channels than need. The VST3 interface offers the possibility to deactivate unused busses after loading and even reactivate those when needed. This cleans up the mixer and further helps to reduce CPU load.

Routing Possibilities
Plug-ins can be connected to the host environment in many different ways: Future VST3 Instruments can have audio inputs. As an example, a synthesizer that offers a built-in vocoder will be able to directly receive an audio signal to control the effect. A VST3 plug-in may have multiple MIDI inputs at the same time.

PAK wrote:If Steinberg are smart about this then they'd figure a way to hook Padshop into HALion 4 and allow sample import that way.
It sounds to me like you've hit the nail on the head. It'd be cool if the development of Padshop provides some enhanced functionality to Halion in a future update, as well.

Old Crab wrote:Yes, I think that it is using the soft e-licencer approach for Padshop. I just wish they would make it optional for any product currently using the dongle.
Agreed, I really wish Cubase could be on the e-licencer, as well. FWIW, the e-licencer is a great system, I can't understand why anyone would be unhappy with it.

Compyfox wrote:But Omnisphere comes with a ton more content than Steinberg offers.
Omnisphere is 9x the price. Does it come with 9x the content? btw, that may sound snarky but I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if it really does. :)

Great! Don't get it! I personally think the demos sound incredible, quite different (and to me preferable) to what I've gotten out of Alchemy, Absynth, and Omnisphere.

Uncle E wrote:Great! Don't get it! I personally think the demos sound incredible, quite different (and to me preferable) to what I've gotten out of Alchemy, Absynth, and Omnisphere.
Wow, so snarky of anyone that has a differing opinion to yours.

You do realise that everyone is entitled to express their opinions here on KvR, right?
It's not up to your special brand of dictatorship as to who is and who isn't allowed to post.

Anyway, no need to respond though.
Your six gushing posts in a row have already revealed your allegiances to Steiny. :shrug:
Last edited by Ben H on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle E wrote:
Compyfox wrote:But Omnisphere comes with a ton more content than Steinberg offers.
Omnisphere is 9x the price. Does it come with 9x the content? btw, that may sound snarky but I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if it really does. :)
I think it's WAY more than just 9x TBH...
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

ben_horwood wrote:
Uncle E wrote:Great! Don't get it! I personally think the demos sound incredible, quite different (and to me preferable) to what I've gotten out of Alchemy, Absynth, and Omnisphere.
Wow, so snarky of anyone that has a differing opinion to yours.

You do realise that everyone is entitled to express their opinions here on KvR, right?
Sorry, I meant "Great! Don't get it!" to be an acceptance of your differing opinion, as in "Great, you're totally welcome to have your opinion and decide not to get it." Reading it back now, I do see how that might have come across wrong and I apologize for my mis-wording.

btw, seeing as I'm KvR member #92, I've learned a thing or two about peoples' differing opinions (though it took me longer to figure out than it should have ;)). I've been here longer than the moderators! :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”