Does anyone NOT like soft synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love them, they are great boon to me, i couldn't afford much hardware but can build out a full studio in soft synths. Many of the classics I adored as a teen are available in emulations of varying quality but they are all interesting, and there are many cool free plugins around as well. But does anyone NOT like them and only use hardware? I guess this is a stupid place to ask this but well, I'm just posting this for the sake of posting something! Anyhow, state your case but be nice! :hihi:
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

for me soft synth's are to soft.

t3toooo wrote:for me soft synth's are to soft.
As hardware is to hard.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Don't you mean 'toooo'? :D
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:
Don't you mean 'toooo'? :D
Your two picky.

I hate 'em. I blew all my cash on soft synths, fast women, and slow horses.

I too love soft'ies, but need to get away from the computer for at least a few hours a day.
I work as a programmer, my hobby is programming (& music), I'm an internet addict... (Almost) Everything I do is in front of the computer. I just bought an Electribe EMX to get away from the computer and to introduce myself to another workflow. So far I'm loving it and I may very well get more hardware. And since the Electribe doesn't support plugins I ain't looking for any either.. what a relief.. although I reckon I need a new soundcard for mixdown, and definitely a mixer if I get more hardware.. like an ESX and a Minitaur. A second hand Virus is pretty cheap these days too. Oh crap :(
Last edited by kae on Mon May 21, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

The only softsynth I like :lol:

12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

I work 8 hours a day in front of a computer, and spend most of my free time in front of one.

However, while I do have some hardware, I mostly use soft synths for the sheer convenience and superior workflow.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

Every synth IS a soft synth. It doesn't matter if you use 80bit(x86), 16bit(Korg Radias) or continuous(analog synths) math to do it. It's all the same.
:violin:
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

mkdr wrote:Every synth IS a soft synth. It doesn't matter if you use 80bit(x86), 16bit(Korg Radias) or continuous(analog synths) math to do it. It's all the same.
Good point :)

I use soft synths (for convenience) and hardware, but when I fire up my Mopho and SY85, I think ahh... I must get more hardware :)

I'll never afford (or have room for) a B3 and a Tron, so from that point of view, yeah, VSTi's are great.

However, for actual synths I haven't touched a softsynth since I got my Axxe and Mopho keyboard. Then I just had to buy a Little Phatty and a Dark Energy. Then I ended up buying a Logan and a Solina and Doepfer modules (and the DE) to process them (so bye-bye to the VSM ) :lol:

I've done way more on synths since getting hardware than I ever did with software, programming was just too much of a hassle. I had to have three presets on my controller keyboard to have enough knobs and sliders mapped and I could never remember what was where. Then the controller started playing up.

Whilst waiting for my Odyssey to arrive (it came this morning - can't wait to get home tonight!), I fired up the Oddity to deal with the cravings :hihi: Fantastic synth, but what a pain softsynths are to programme with the mouse, I don't miss that at all. And whilst the Oddity sounds good, it sounded a bit lacklustre in comparison to my hardware synths.

So, I'm all about the hardware - if I won the lottery I'd buy a Hammond and a Mellotron like a shot (plus a bigger house ;-) ).
And it is as it is and we take as we find / Always next season's buds on the bough / But I'll never find a better time / Hard though it is to allow / I'll never find a better time / To be alive than now

mkdr wrote:Every synth IS a soft synth. It doesn't matter if you use 80bit(x86), 16bit(Korg Radias) or continuous(analog synths) math to do it. It's all the same.

I would think it is established on this board that many hardware synthesizers run software, and that a softsynth is a digital synth that runs on a general purpose computer, like your home PC...it's the most common definition I've seen. Having some things established make comments easier to write.

reusenoise wrote: Image
That's soo cute!!.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Return to “Instruments”