Does anyone NOT like soft synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

t3toooo wrote:for me soft synth's are to soft.
:lol:

Soft synths are pure awesomeness, especially the free ones!
Download my latest album!, it's free... Or go to my youtubes

braj wrote:
mkdr wrote:Every synth IS a soft synth. It doesn't matter if you use 80bit(x86), 16bit(Korg Radias) or continuous(analog synths) math to do it. It's all the same.
:violin:
Good point :)
Good point? That's the silliest thing I've ever read. Math is just a language. Symbols describing something we observe. Math "does" nothing. It can be used to tell hardware what to do (software) but this is very different than hardware analog synths even though the results can seem very similar.

Don't get me wrong. The above statement has nothing to do with how I feel about analog vs digital instruments or even the way I feel about hardware vs software. I'm totally agnostic on that front but I'll be quick to say that each has strengths and weaknesses. Want high polyphony? Better go digital. Want smooth singing resonance? Best to go analog. I could go on, but you already know this.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

does anyone else want this thread NOT to exist? as it's so useful. NOT.

I don't like the enormous amount of money they've cost me. :hihi:

I think that softsynths are too good. I have used hardware synths and samplers for over two decades and some of them have some nice sounds, mainly because they are so plain sounding. The thought of having to deal with cables, noise, disks, feeble synth patches, sampling and editing from audio cds, mixing desks and outboard nowadays makes me feel ill.

I cannot believe the amount of time I wasted p*ssing about with all that when nowadays you just press a key and load back exactly what you left with pristine sound quality, awesome libraries and unbelievable synth sounds for a fraction of the cost.

I have some classic hardware still but really have to convince myself they are worth plugging in. Yes they sound great but is it really worth all the effort when a sample or emulation is so close?

braj wrote:I'm just posting this for the sake of posting something!
Yep. :?

zerocrossing wrote:
braj wrote:
mkdr wrote:Every synth IS a soft synth. It doesn't matter if you use 80bit(x86), 16bit(Korg Radias) or continuous(analog synths) math to do it. It's all the same.
Good point? That's the silliest thing I've ever read. Math is just a language. Symbols describing something we observe. Math "does" nothing. It can be used to tell hardware what to do (software) but this is very different than hardware analog synths even though the results can seem very similar.

Don't get me wrong. The above statement has nothing to do with how I feel about analog vs digital instruments or even the way I feel about hardware vs software. I'm totally agnostic on that front but I'll be quick to say that each has strengths and weaknesses. Want high polyphony? Better go digital. Want smooth singing resonance? Best to go analog. I could go on, but you already know this.
Sorry this is what I was thinking of when I read it, music has even been shows to help math development in children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nav0kVa66xk
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:
Sorry this is what I was thinking of when I read it, music has even been shows to help math development in children.

This is one of my favorite animated films, ever. I wish we had more educational programming like this. All of a sudden I feel like reading The Phantom Tollbooth

justin3am wrote:I wish we had more educational programming like this.
Most definitely!
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
braj wrote:

Oh yeah, right. That's why there are so many great musicians who are also mathematicians.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:That's why there are so many great musicians who are also mathematicians.
Isn't that a Right Brain Left Brain thing? Left hemisphere for Math, Right for Creativity? Which leaves a half wit like me at a distinct disadvantage....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Softsynths sound as good as hardware these days and cost far less.

Virus Ti2 desktop £1700 in the UK

U-HE Diva & Zebra + all Soundtoys plugs + upgrades around £700

Someone will say but you had to buy a computer but I would of needed a computer to mix with the Virus anyway.

If I win the lottery I would get a Virus Ti2 though and use it with those two.

I love softsynths until they sounds like diva and other circuit simulated synths. I love also the interaction with the mouse and the overview on a big screen. All important stuff is at one place, that has a great workflow.

You resurrected a 4 year old thread to tell us you don't like Diva?

Return to “Instruments”