Digits VST -- phase distortion freebie! (1.3 recently released)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just tested your synth and I like the sound of it! Here are some improvement proposals:
  • Windows 64-bit version
  • GUI
  • Manual. Just a short explanation of what each parameter does. Ideally include a signal flow chart.
  • BUG: does not handle samplerate changes correctly (Envelope time constants are not correct).
  • Use proper units for parameter values, e.g. detune in cents, attack time in millisecs etc.
  • CPU usage seems quite high. I guess there is plenty of room for optimization, given that PD/FM synthesis is rather primitive. In particular, I get like 2.7% CPU usage in REAPER when no voice is playing! Do you use floating point calculations? Then there might be a problem with denormals...
  • BUG: When the host calls resume() (e.g. when starting playback), all voices should be muted/reset.
Anyway, thanks for your freeware plugin!

It sounds good.

I could do a GUI if the developer is interested and i find some free time ;)

Have a good day :)

karrikuh wrote:Just tested your synth and I like the sound of it! Here are some improvement proposals:
  • Windows 64-bit version
  • GUI
  • Manual. Just a short explanation of what each parameter does. Ideally include a signal flow chart.
  • BUG: does not handle samplerate changes correctly (Envelope time constants are not correct).
  • Use proper units for parameter values, e.g. detune in cents, attack time in millisecs etc.
  • CPU usage seems quite high. I guess there is plenty of room for optimization, given that PD/FM synthesis is rather primitive. In particular, I get like 2.7% CPU usage in REAPER when no voice is playing! Do you use floating point calculations? Then there might be a problem with denormals...
  • BUG: When the host calls resume() (e.g. when starting playback), all voices should be muted/reset.
Anyway, thanks for your freeware plugin!
Thanks for the detailed feedback! I'd love to do a GUI and 64-bit version for Windows. Those are definitely on the to-do list. There *is* a manual: on Windows, check the start menu (or Program Files). On the Mac, it goes into /Applications/Digits. I've been thinking of also adding a quick-start guide.

PD is a little more costly than FM in my experience, but the 2.7% seems high. Especially for idle, since it's not supposed to be calculating much of anything at that point. I'll give it a shot in Reaper and see if it behaves differently from my Renoise setup. I do have a delay with feedback, but it's gated out at low values to avoid a denormal issue. But maybe there is something wrong with how that is working.

I'll add the signal flow chart-- good idea! MIDI implementation details wouldn't hurt either.
IrionDaRonin wrote: I could do a GUI if the developer is interested and i find some free time
Thanks for the offer!
OPL2 is forever

LouisG wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote: I could do a GUI if the developer is interested and i find some free time
Thanks for the offer!
Ok, then i will do some examples when i have free time.

I just need some answer for my doubts.

- I hope you know how to ensemble graphics into a VST, i will make the graphic stuff, and you should ensemble it.
- It is this the Casio which you got inspired to make this synth?
I need to know this to basing the examples GUI about it, colors, buttons, etc. Anyway i will make a more modern GUI.
- Do you have any preference on style of GUI? For example: Clean, Realistic, Stylish design, Colorized or Desaturated, Knobs or Sliders, etc.
Of course you can send me a message about your preferences, and we can work on this in the backstage.

I will do it for free, i just like to help others, even if i don't have job or money right now.
At least you can use it while you get a better one. Or maybe you will like my GUI which could be the definitelly one, who knows.

Have a good day :)

Can't wait to see what the GUI will look like!

stanlea wrote:Is there a 64 bits version for Linux ?
I see it now, thanks. Just tried it in Ubuntu 64 bits : the sound is very nice, but I have a problem with polyphony : when I hit more than one note at a time, it produces some background noise. I don't think it's a feature...
Anyhow, this synth is really promising, and thank you so much for producing a Linux version.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote:
stanlea wrote:Is there a 64 bits version for Linux ?
I see it now, thanks. Just tried it in Ubuntu 64 bits : the sound is very nice, but I have a problem with polyphony : when I hit more than one note at a time, it produces some background noise. I don't think it's a feature...
Anyhow, this synth is really promising, and thank you so much for producing a Linux version.
Hi Stanlea, what kind of CPU do you have and what's the latency set to? I've been busy working on optimizations for the next version so I'm trying to get all the info I can. Does the host you're using also have a CPU% meter? Also, be sure to use the realtime kernel if one is available for your distribution-- it can make a huge difference!
OPL2 is forever

CPU is DualCore 6300, jack runs at 48000hz/256 fps latency with Ubuntu Studio 64 bits.

I use a host called Carla, it shows about 15% CPU use. I'll try the realtime kernel, actually I just use the low latency one, without problems.

CPU is DualCore 6300, jack runs at 48000hz/256 fps latency with Ubuntu Studio 64 bits.

I use a host called Carla, it shows about 15% CPU use. I'll try the realtime kernel, actually I just use the low latency one, without problems.
Oh! I think I know what it is. It must be the signal clipping. The synth is very loud by default, so turn down the volume slider on the channel and let me know if that helps. Make sure the VU meter doesn't show the signal in the red. I will add an amp control and turn the presets down for the next release. Let me know if that helps.
OPL2 is forever

What a unique synth! This one gives me the #1 thing I look for in a plugin: a sound and function that's unique compared to the other bazillion analog/FM plugins I have. And its free!

I threw this thing into Ableton live and within 10 minutes, I tuned it to my satisfaction and did up an arpeggiated pattern with a amp/pan sequencer (BigSeq by audio damage) and Blue Cat Phaser. sounds absolutely fantastic with a little CS-80V noodling over it. Instant Tangerine Dreamy sound. A full set ready in 15 minutes and its my first attempt with phase distortion!

That said I'll second the clamoring for a GUI, although I think in any case having the paramaters laid out and ready to midi assign is pure awesomeness whether or not you'll be adding a GUI.

Also the resonance on here is very interesting, I guess I just dont know enough about PD synthesis to know exactly how its applied to the waveforms but I think tuning the resonance would be awesome to get that squelch right in place.

Overall, awesome work and big props for releasing your work for freeeee!

Is it possible to have the download as a zipped dll instead of .exe?

LouisG wrote:

Oh! I think I know what it is. It must be the signal clipping. The synth is very loud by default, so turn down the volume slider on the channel and let me know if that helps. Make sure the VU meter doesn't show the signal in the red. I will add an amp control and turn the presets down for the next release. Let me know if that helps.
You are right : level is too high. Turning down the volume solves the problem, but a control inside of the synth would be far better.

Someone can help me? WTF is MSVCP100.dll? :lol:
The synth doesn't start and ask for that.

Installed it on Win XP SP 3 and got an error message, that "SHGetKnownFolderPath was not found in SHELL32.dll" ... the VSTi does not load.
Tested with different hosts.

THK wrote:Installed it on Win XP SP 3 and got an error message, that "SHGetKnownFolderPath was not found in SHELL32.dll" ... the VSTi does not load.
Tested with different hosts.
Got the same here when opening Reaper 4. Same OS.

Return to “Instruments”