Dark Zebra - Amazona says Best Buy!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Breeze wrote:Is there no AU of ZebraHZ? Can't seem to find it.
Actually it turns out all my other other hosts see the AU. I use Audio Plugin Player as a quick single plugin auditioner, and it basically opens a file browser: I can't find the ZebraHZ AU component via that browser.

I'm on Lion 10.7.4 but I did an upgrade install so (from the HD root) "Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > Components" got inherited and it turns out it only contains an older Zebra 2.3 component, which I should remove. The VST folder there does have all the current 2.5.3 versions. Should I remove all the other u-he AU components in the above component folder?

So where else are the AU components on the hard disk? Even if I unhide hidden folders and files, I still can't find them. Spotlight doesn't find them either.

Thanks!

PS: BTW, many thanks for fixing the "Preset Information in alternate GUI sizes" bug in 2.5.3! :)

Breeze wrote:I use Audio Plugin Player as a quick single plugin auditioner, and it basically opens a file browser: I can't find the ZebraHZ AU component via that browser.
Hmmm, pretty much all our plugins are "shells". Uhbiks, Zebras, Filterscapes all reside in a single component each. No AU hosting software should use a file dialog, they should use Apple's component manager. Everything else won't work...

(although I must admit that I haven't seen anybody else do those multi-AU components... is there anyone apart from Apple and us?)

Breeze wrote:PS: BTW, many thanks for fixing the "Preset Information in alternate GUI sizes" bug in 2.5.3! :)
I'm not sure I did much... ah yes... fixed font metrics code...

Urs wrote:Hmmm, pretty much all our plugins are "shells". Uhbiks, Zebras, Filterscapes all reside in a single component each. No AU hosting software should use a file dialog, they should use Apple's component manager. Everything else won't work...
A quick G-search brought me to this page. Is everything changing in 10.8?
Urs wrote:(although I must admit that I haven't seen anybody else do those multi-AU components... is there anyone apart from Apple and us?)
If you're asking me who else is in that folder, then yes, lots: 2C, Plogue, Audio Damage, Camel Audio, DiscoDSP, DMG Audio, Fabfilter, QuikQuak, Arturia, Schwa, IKM, Plogue, Redline, Sonalksis, Valhalla...

But I'm nor familiar enough with the OS X architecture and handling of plugins to know what the proper way of handling them is. I'll contact APP and see what they say about the Component Manager. Thanks.

I also use Audio Plugin Player and I am not seeing it either. Perhaps Dan at
defectiverecords can help shed some light on the subject. I do know that
it is built on a Max/MSP code base.

Breeze wrote:If you're asking me who else is in that folder...
I think Urs is referring to his plugins that share a single component e.g. Zebra2 + Zebralette, all the Uhbiks etc.
Last edited by Howard on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rexlapin wrote:I also use Audio Plugin Player and I am not seeing it either. Perhaps Dan at
defectiverecords can help shed some light on the subject. I do know that
it is built on a Max/MSP code base.
Just checked and I can't either - it's the shell thing. Same with Uhbiks unfortunately (I did bring this up before) - but I can use the VST in it so I'm not too bothered.

Breeze wrote:
Urs wrote:Hmmm, pretty much all our plugins are "shells". Uhbiks, Zebras, Filterscapes all reside in a single component each. No AU hosting software should use a file dialog, they should use Apple's component manager. Everything else won't work...
A quick G-search brought me to this page. Is everything changing in 10.8?
Interesting! I guess one has to use corresponding Cocoa routines or something.
Urs wrote:(although I must admit that I haven't seen anybody else do those multi-AU components... is there anyone apart from Apple and us?)
If you're asking me who else is in that folder, then yes, lots: 2C, Plogue, Audio Damage, Camel Audio, DiscoDSP, DMG Audio, Fabfilter, QuikQuak, Arturia, Schwa, IKM, Plogue, Redline, Sonalksis, Valhalla...
No, what I mean is, we do .component files with multiple AUs inside. E.g. Zebra2.component contains AUs for Zebra2, Zebralette, Zebrify, ZRev and possibly ZebraHZ. Thus, just loading a component file isn't enough, you also need to determine which AU inside that file is to be openend.

aMUSEd wrote:Just checked and I can't either - it's the shell thing. Same with Uhbiks unfortunately (I did bring this up before) - but I can use the VST in it so I'm not too bothered.
But you can't use the resized versions of the plugins with the VST in APP right? That's my problem; with the size of my screen (and the state of my eyes!) I need the larger sizes.

hmm, so it seems. Clearly these are issues to take up with the developer of that app.

Urs wrote:No, what I mean is, we do .component files with multiple AUs inside. E.g. Zebra2.component contains AUs for Zebra2, Zebralette, Zebrify, ZRev and possibly ZebraHZ. Thus, just loading a component file isn't enough, you also need to determine which AU inside that file is to be openend.
From what I see, all the plugins from the same manufacturer in that folder have separate AU component files for their separate though related plugins (specifically, DMG, Fabfilter, Shwa, & Sonalksis. The others I can't tell because I've only got one plugin from their roster installed).

Yours seem the only one to encapsulate multiple plugins in one component, and clearly APP's selection method instantiates the first one on the list (Uhbik-D in the case of Uhbik, and Zebra 2.5.3. in the case of Zebra2). BTW, AU Uhbik also suffers of the resize bug in APP.

Regardless, I tend to agree with aMUSEd that it's likely an APP problem in the handling of AU. They're using third party code for that app, and may have to paddle upstream to get it fixed... ;)

I have a quick question. Apologies if this has already been answered.

Can all of our regular Zebra patches be loaded in ZebraHZ? Basically, can we use ZebraHZ as a full replacement for Zebra 2.5.x from here on out?

The soundset sounds incredible.

Geese wrote:I have a quick question. Apologies if this has already been answered.

Can all of our regular Zebra patches be loaded in ZebraHZ? Basically, can we use ZebraHZ as a full replacement for Zebra 2.5.x from here on out?

The soundset sounds incredible.
Yes. ZebraHZ has a symlink/shortcut to Z2 patches... loads all of them...

Great! :)

Love the large gui and that organ patch is incredible!!

Return to “Instruments”