So. How are you getting on with Tone2 Saurus...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

cyberheater wrote:(Please don't crap up this thread with Diva comparison talk).
:smack:
That's really not necessary to state that.
In a way, by stating that, your actually doing the thing you are telling us not to do.

It is necessary because it's happened within the first 15 posts of every other thread about Saurus so far.

nineofkings wrote:It is necessary because it's happened within the first 15 posts of every other thread about Saurus so far.
Then maybe it should just state "NO COMPARISONS" and not include a name of a specific synth.

nice sound and I like the level of control over the sequencer/arp

however...probably the worst set of factory presets of any synth - no problem if you want to create from scratch but not good if you need a quick synth to go to for some good sounds to start from...

I really like it, it's easy to get quick, usable sounds pretty fast. I agrre that there should be an option to hide the keyboard.

xx JPRacer xx wrote:I really like it, it's easy to get quick, usable sounds pretty fast. I agrre that there should be an option to hide the keyboard.
I think that the idea of hiding the keyboard would be a good one for them to work on.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

fisherKing wrote:i think it's a great synth. easy to work with, great fat sound. am doing more 'modern' music, so the vintage bank didn't do much for me. but for fat arps, pads..basses...it's pretty great...
One of the next official expansions will be a Dance/Trance bank...

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
fisherKing wrote:i think it's a great synth. easy to work with, great fat sound. am doing more 'modern' music, so the vintage bank didn't do much for me. but for fat arps, pads..basses...it's pretty great...
One of the next official expansions will be a Dance/Trance bank...

Ingo
I think that's my only gripe with Saurus. I find the expansion soundsets far to expensive. I know they are probably worth it but it's still too much for me.

i also wish i could hide the keyboard (i'm ALWAYS posting here about plugin keyboards LOL).

meanwhile, i've tried to at least CLEAN the keys; i keep scrubbing them, but nothing helps...

fisherKing wrote:i also wish i could hide the keyboard (i'm ALWAYS posting here about plugin keyboards LOL).

meanwhile, i've tried to at least CLEAN the keys; i keep scrubbing them, but nothing helps...
Maybe a virtual compressed air can and a virtual tissue box should come next :)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

:love: :love:

I love the thing, cracking sound to it, easy to use, as always quality effects from T2.

I am still a bit puzzled by a couple of functions on the synth, not sure how to get the best out of them, but that's more my inexperience than the synths problem.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

not that well
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

I haven't tried the demo. Yet I can say the several sound examples are very tasty and inviting.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Here's a few thoughts of mine, biased or not, still, my own genuine observations after having used Saurus for a long time:

- I've seen people commenting that Saurus is just a subset of ElectraX. Saurus' oscillators and the filter are much different (at least the 24dB LPF I tested). The basic building blocks just sound different (edit: and I hasten to add, they sound much better to my ears), which is what I found out by doing direct comparisons.

- does it sound 'analogue'? Most definitely. When compared to one of my hardware vintage analogue synths the filter resonance, and some waves were very close. The resonant filter sweep in particular, was very authentic. By the way, I dislike doing 'one-to-one' comparisons as I like to take each synth and find its strengths, not worrying about much else. That's why in the past I used to imitate the 'analog' sound using an FM synth, :hihi: a silly notion perhaps, but one which brings unexpected and pleasant results.

- the much maligned 'feedback' effect. This has a great sound if used wisely. I like it at about 11 o'clock with the LPF cutoff reduced to below 12 o'clock. Wiggle the cutoff for some nice timbres. This sounds even better with some resonance. Another good use: add 'zap' to sharp LPF decay sounds. It also works nice with drive up, res up low cutoff, for a dark, thick psychedelic type bass/lead.

- the audio rate sound of the LFOs is very, very good! Not much talk about this feature, which gives some very cool, clangorous sounds. For percussion this is Saurus' one of the best features. I reckon Tone2 ought to do a drum machine as they have all the ingredients in place.

- the mod matirx has some cool new options and is extremely well specified.

Criticisms? There are some.

- As some have pointed out, there's too much hidden in the mod matrix. Basics like master tune, noise, should be up on the UI.

- The 'boost' parameter produces a click when used on fast decay sounds (it's very audible on bass sounds). Also, it would be good for the boost parameter to have a 'bass boost' only option. I sometimes use filter 'drive' to reduce high frequencies which the 'boost' parameter adds to the signal. Good on bass sounds.

- It would be nice to have another flavour of filter drive, one which is more aggressive (and not volume compensated) and still 'warm'. Same with feedback: another option with a different sound would be nice.

- the formant filter is weak. This is surprising as Markus has absolutely superb formant filters in Gladiator.

Saurus gives another flavour of the 'analogue' sound, which is just as well, as it would be pointless to have each analog modeling VA sound the same! Real analogue synths don't sound the same, so why should software?
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Instruments”