Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sheldrakes, the projects should save everything below the project line, ie. state of all settings, VST instrument and -effect and MIDI Machines. Thus, the idea is that you can switch between entire setups with a single program change.
JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

Cool, I just tried it and it works fine. :)

Looking forward to a bass guitar mode.

the MIDI Machine is AMAZING! any chance it can be in the vst version? it's in the stand alone. I WANT THE TUN FILE COMPATIBILITY!! :cry:

I have used Beta 0.7 in past - worked great, but now v.82 will not work for me?? It hears my guitar input (turner and wave registers based on the audio sound input) but no conversion to midi (no piano sound output)?? Is there a trick??

It would make more sense to have "Scala" files instead of "Tun" files..

jazzmandan wrote:I have used Beta 0.7 in past - worked great, but now v.82 will not work for me?? It hears my guitar input (turner and wave registers based on the audio sound input) but no conversion to midi (no piano sound output)?? Is there a trick??
Worked it out - somewhat. In standalone mode my guitar sound is being played right over the piano sound and overwhelming it so you can't hear the piano well. It can be adjusted a bit but no fun... As a VST in Reaper it behaves better. But with the new inclusion of the VST manager can we no longer use other synths which are loaded into Reaper??

can't you turn off direct monitoring with you audio interface?

Some definite improvements for guitar-like strumming.

Sometimes it reads too easily: barely grazing the open E through D strings with the fretting hand will trigger.

Also the velocity is a little stiff with default settings, but changing the instrument gain or midi velocity reduces overall volume, and doesn't gain much articulation.

Certainly better, though still some ways to go.

JJunkie wrote:can't you turn off direct monitoring with you audio interface?
Exactly, that was the fix. There is a setting in the standalone to set direct monitoring or None. When I selected None, all was good.

I had this same experience from Beta 8.0 onward. Perhaps, there is a bug that corrects for itself after the user switches to the Test Piano (on some other VST), and then back to None the first time. Anyway, after that the program monitors fine the new Midi Machine information.

.82 doing fine on my x32 system. Tracking is pretty solid, about the same as .7. the midi machine is an interesting add on and would like to see some more scripts included.

For me still version 0.6.1 is the best for my needs. i have to play quite accurate and distinct though - but it's not too sensitive to trigger other notes. midi machine and stuff like that is nice, but i really only need the core functionality to work - which it does to about 90 percent (ok, 91 percent) in my humble opinion.
Last edited by derivative on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

derivative wrote:For me still version 0.6.1 is the best for my needs. i have to play quite accurate though - but it's not too sensitive to trigger other notes. midi machine and stuff like that is nice, but i really only need the core functionality to work - which it does to about 90 percent in my humble opinion.
Questions I got for the developer - when you say tracking improved is there a formal measure for that? I see many ppl prefer older versions. And second - Is the headroom to improve tracking still in place as it was at the start of the thread?

ironhead wrote: Questions I got for the developer - when you say tracking improved is there a formal measure for that? I see many ppl prefer older versions. And second - Is the headroom to improve tracking still in place as it was at the start of the thread?
Our approach is based upon analysing guitar recordings to find new headroom and then optimising the algorithms accordingly and then toss it into a new version that is tested by users. One challenge is that the quality of transcription turns out to be quite subjective, and often based upon "feel" and playing style - for example very sensitive is good for some and bad for others. The latter is very hard to measure formally. Its something we have learned during the beta test period and caused some degree of experimentation.

MIDI Guitar is our search for a single "sliver bullet" approach that should work for most, and of course the headroom is getting smaller along the way. Currently we are still busy examining every possible corner of the room.

In order to structure our search, there are many doors that we deliberately have kept shut, but certainly will open in the future. Once we are confident that the "silver bullet" approach is as good as it gets, we will look into adding the knobs and options to let users control various aspects of sensitivity or various latency/accuracy compromises. Or add a calibration method that captures the characteristics of your playing. Of course we have too many ideas i cannot write about here.

So, no promises, only that we will continue spending a vast amount of investments and resources in audio recognition, of which some will be wasted, some will bring valuable knowledge and others will end up in future MIDI Guitar versions.
JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

Return to “Instruments”