Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes. it's about time we midi guitar people get some real love!!

HUGE potential here!!

It loads fine in FL Studio 10.0.9 and I can hear the synth when played through the notes on the MIDI Guitar gui (it crackles here and there), but there is no audio when played by guitar. I also tried sending midi to a synth through FL's ports in the wrapper, but still no audio.

It seems to scan instruments and let me choose them ok.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and an M-Audio Mobile Pre USB at 16/44.

Best,

Ed

One thing that I'd consider ABSOLUTELY essential: if I configure an instrument in "Audio Output", I would expect that MIDI Guitar remembers this instrument and its current sound bank in addition to its own data. Currently, it generously forgets everything other than the sensitivity - this makes it impossible to store the current setup with a project. And it makes it impossible to recycle the PlugIn with a different set of parameters when switching performances.

Also, MIDI Guitar 0.1 reports that it has 0 programs with 1 parameter each - this should be (at least) 1 program with 1 parameter. 0 programs might make some ... let's say, "less defensively programmed" hosts go crazy.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

edteneyck wrote:It loads fine in FL Studio 10.0.9 and I can hear the synth when played through the notes on the MIDI Guitar gui (it crackles here and there), but there is no audio when played by guitar. I also tried sending midi to a synth through FL's ports in the wrapper, but still no audio.

It seems to scan instruments and let me choose them ok.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and an M-Audio Mobile Pre USB at 16/44.

Best,

Ed
Dumb question I suppose but, have you set up your guitar channel input in the Mixer? And if so, try just holding a note like C on the G string 5th fret, for along time. That's where I got my first crackled sound. :shock: It's true.

And also I had to try a few different synth before I found one with a preset that made a solid "good" note. Some Arps I've tried don't seem to continue if I sustain a note as they would from a keyboard input.

I still have to figure out if I can get a smoother response time somehow. Now would that be related to the settings on the synth? I don't know. :wink:
Musical Style: Psychotic Northwoods Basement Trash

Might be interesting to know who is using what host, and possibly what synths everyone is trying too. Might help comparing results on different systems, presets, whatever. Just a thought.

Like in FL 10.0.9 I've gotten some pretty good sounds a couple times out of Dune, but nothing out of Sytrus, and Arturia MiniMoog just freezes FL up when trying to select it.

I havn't tried using the few percussion VST the MIDI Guitar has found in it's scan.

My testing is on Win7-32bit-w/Reaper, using my own Synthedit and Synthmaker synths.

Today I find the latency is just a few hairs into the "too much" area, compared it with a couple freeware audio to midi plugs, they were lower.

The long release time is still weird, too, I mute a string and am not getting a note-off right away.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

JamOrigin wrote: This thread is for the group of first beta testers and anybody with inputs to functionality, design and scope of MIDI Guitar. Please use this thread to share your thoughts and ideas. Go wild.
Go wild ? I'm bloody livid ! Please find your own sub forum instead of using this thread as promo and junking up the instruments thread. Most annoyed I've ever been on kvr. Hhrrrrrummph. Annoyed, Nottingham.
Last edited by bob bobwood on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dumb question I suppose but, have you set up your guitar channel input in the Mixer? And if so, try just holding a note like C on the G string 5th fret, for along time. That's where I got my first crackled sound. Shocked It's true.

And also I had to try a few different synth before I found one with a preset that made a solid "good" note. Some Arps I've tried don't seem to continue if I sustain a note as they would from a keyboard input.

I still have to figure out if I can get a smoother response time somehow. Now would that be related to the settings on the synth? I don't know. Wink
Yes, I set the guitar channel input but still no audio. However, I did just try it in the Reaper x64 demo and it is working! First try in Reaper was with Dune, so I loaded FL again and noticed that MIDI Guitar did not find Dune when scanning instruments. When I load it via "Let me choose a file", it crashes FL completely.

My first thoughts are, WOW! Tracking is much better than I expected (using Reaper). There is some latency. Not bad, but fast would of course be better. It seems to detect and play most notes in full chords without many 'bad note' triggers.

I'll keep trying things in FL.

I've got it working in Fl Studio 10.0.9. "Use fixed size buffers" needs to be checked within the wrapper (at least on my system). Strange, I had tried this the first time around but now it's working. :)

I'm not getting the long latency in FL that jdt is getting. It seems about the same as in Reaper.
A switch to make it mono for leads, pitch bend always smooth.
+1 to this suggestion.

The ios app has a mono switch so i'm sure it'll be along ;)

arakula wrote:One thing that I'd consider ABSOLUTELY essential: if I configure an instrument in "Audio Output", I would expect that MIDI Guitar remembers this instrument and its current sound bank in addition to its own data.
Yes please, this is really a must.
arakula wrote:Also, MIDI Guitar 0.1 reports that it has 0 programs with 1 parameter each - this should be (at least) 1 program with 1 parameter. 0 programs might make some ... let's say, "less defensively programmed" hosts go crazy.
For VSTi's that do not have preset browsers on the UI it really should be able to load and read complete preset banks IMHO. One other thing I would like (have no idea how hard it would be) But it would be real cool to be able to load multiple VSTi's? played for a while yesterday with eXT2 loaded, damn it was fun to be able to stack different synths together.

Joe

First of all, thank you for the feedback, it is very valuable to us and please keep it coming. Within the next few days we will gather all the feedback and convert it to features that could be part of the first version of MIDI Guitar.

We now have the first graphical mockups of the MIDI Guitar Plugin ready. These mockups do are not meant to design or feature complete, just a starting point for discussion. Let us know what you think.

edteneyck wrote:I've got it working in Fl Studio 10.0.9. "Use fixed size buffers" needs to be checked within the wrapper (at least on my system). Strange, I had tried this the first time around but now it's working. :)

I'm not getting the long latency in FL that jdt is getting. It seems about the same as in Reaper.
A switch to make it mono for leads, pitch bend always smooth.
+1 to this suggestion.
Thanks Man! "Use fixed size buffers" was the ticket. Don't know why I didn't think of that. :dog:

Now I have found that by setting the ports I can load multiple synths into the Step Sequencer and leave the instrument slot in MIDI Guitar set to "no instrument" and am getting some great results, 0 latency. Way cool!

However one thing that I find strange is that no MIDI data is being recorded in pattern clips. Even when I have MIDI Guitar in an FX slot of the guitar input channel and an instrument loaded in the GUI, all that is recorded is the audio output. When I have several synths triggered outside of MIDI Guitar, no data is recorded to the pattern Step Sequencer of any channel. :?

How do you set MIDI out? it says not available in all hosts? what hosts is it available in?

I would definitely want midi data from my performances.

memyselfandus wrote:How do you set MIDI out? it says not available in all hosts? what hosts is it available in?

I would definitely want midi data from my performances.
In FL Studio you can set the MIDI I/O ports within the plugin Wrapper settings.

There is no way to set ports within the MIDI Guitar plugin itself.
Last edited by jdt on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”