WhySynth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

briandc wrote: I'm relatively new to Linux compared to you. (only 1 year that I'm really into it). All I did was install Ubuntu Studio, then install the packages in KXStudio. I now have a beast of a machine with everything glokraw mentioned.
brian
Did you manage to install the package being offline?

Numanoid wrote: The regular computer tinkers in between, gets locked out.

I had high hopes for Linux a couple of years back, but getting stuck in it, really made me understand that I had been spoilt on the Windows platform.
A premade audio distro as mentioned, can save you most of the
headaches, assuming your soundcard is supported. And a support forum is handy.
avlinux is another good choice

To install just a single .deb file, offline, you can download .deb here

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/sound/ and use the dpkg command
to install. Must be root user. If using rpm, go to a site like
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

rpm -i whysynthxxx.rpm
dpkg -i whysynthxxx.deb

If supporting packages are needed, they will be listed,
and you can install them all from one command

rpm -i whysynthxxx.rpm xtra-lib.rpm headache.rpm really-mad.rpm f-this.rpm
:hihi:

lmms is it's own buggy world, bit off more than chewable size.
Works for some, not most.
Cheers

glokraw wrote: If supporting packages are needed, they will be listed,
and you can install them all from one command

rpm -i whysynthxxx.rpm xtra-lib.rpm headache.rpm really-mad.rpm f-this.rpm
Well I've tried that with for instance LMMS back in the day, but didn't get it to work.

As I understand these are the main distros for audio/visual/multimedia:

Ubuntu Studio
dyne:bolic
puredyne
Musix
64 Studio

I've tried out most of them, I prefer dyne:bolic, but it lacks a DAW, I've tried to get Rosegarden or LMMS to work with it, but to no avail.

My next Linux venture will be to try and get Energy to run in Ubuntu

Numanoid wrote:
briandc wrote: I'm relatively new to Linux compared to you. (only 1 year that I'm really into it). All I did was install Ubuntu Studio, then install the packages in KXStudio. I now have a beast of a machine with everything glokraw mentioned.
brian
Did you manage to install the package being offline?
KXStudio can be installed online here: http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudio:Repositories

First you install Ubuntu Studio (preferably the latest version, since it will have more drivers included).
Then open Synaptic Package Manager and add the repository lines on the link I gave here. The repository lines are in yellow, like this: ppa:kxstudio-team/ppa

The reload Synaptic and you'll have all the packages available. :)

brian

I did some tinkering, loaded up my live Musix CD distro. I hadn't tried to connect that with a USB-keyboard earlier, but that worked like a charm, just needed to connect some lines in jack. Both my AKAI MPK mini and Korg Microkey got working straight away.

As of now with Zyn-Add-Sub-FX and my midi-keyboard I got a great little synth set up going, but what if I want to do some recording?

On the Windows platform, I would place my DLL's in the VST plugin folder, and easily load them into the DAW that way, but how to do that with Zyn-Add-Sub-FX in Ardour?

Numanoid wrote:I did some tinkering, loaded up my live Musix CD distro. I hadn't tried to connect that with a USB-keyboard earlier, but that worked like a charm, just needed to connect some lines in jack. Both my AKAI MPK mini and Korg Microkey got working straight away.

As of now with Zyn-Add-Sub-FX and my midi-keyboard I got a great little synth set up going, but what if I want to do some recording?

On the Windows platform, I would place my DLL's in the VST plugin folder, and easily load them into the DAW that way, but how to do that with Zyn-Add-Sub-FX in Ardour?
Open Ardour, make a new track (right click in the area on the left, select mono or stereo, etc).
Then go into Window and find bus inspector.

Select the new track (it will show as audio 1, if you created an audio track) then it will give you options for inputs and outputs. You should see Zyn listed there.

Let me know how it goes!..

brian

briandc wrote:Let me know how it goes!..
Thanks for the tips!

What version of Ardour are the step by step guide based on?

I think I downloaded the Musix distro back in 2008, so its an older version of Ardour I'm working with.

Numanoid wrote:
briandc wrote:Let me know how it goes!..
Thanks for the tips!

What version of Ardour are the step by step guide based on?

I think I downloaded the Musix distro back in 2008, so its an older version of Ardour I'm working with.
Good question. I don't know which version, but you'd probably have an even smoother experience if you used a more recent version, like this one:
http://www.musix.org.ar/wordpress/?p=63

The newer it is, the better experience you'll have, imo..

brian

Wow, just discovered this synth today, it's huge! I can't quite wrap my head around it all at the moment. Very happy to have something like this on my linux box though.
Numanoid wrote:
glokraw wrote:Unlike Windows, I can't just download WhySynth as a regular plug and quickly make it work with a simple host (like for instance SAVI host).

Trying to run a Linux plug that is not already included in a distro, like for instance LMMS (or WhySynth for that matter) in for example Ubuntu, just brings up a lot of questions about LADSA this or LV2 or jack that is missing :(
Nonsense! It's easy, here's what I did on an Ubuntu 12.04 based distrobution.

1) Opened the software manager
2) Searched for WhySynth
3) Clicked "Install"
4) Closed the software manager
5) Opened Renoise
6) Selected WhySynth from the instruments list
7) Made noises!

Easier than on Windows! I didn't have to go to any websites looking for .exes or .dlls, didn't have to install them, didn't have to tell my DAW where they were located etc. :)

MrPopinjay wrote:5) Opened Renoise

Easier than on Windows! I didn't have to go to any websites looking for .exes or .dlls, didn't have to install them, didn't have to tell my DAW where they were located etc. :)
I'm happy to hear that you got it working :)

But easier than Windows? In your list you mention Renoise. Does Ubuntu come with that preinstalled, if not I think you will spend some time installing and prepping that to.

In Windows I can download VST dll, download Herman Saib SAVI host, and that is all I need to run the plug :wink: Easier :D

By the way, can't you who have got WhySynth up and running make some videos playing it that you can upload to youtube, so we other can have a chance to see this instrument in action?

Not much to see, a plain jane gui, with lots of controls,
14 tabs, and a config panel for keyboard control, polyphony, glide etc

jack-dssi-host whysynth.so

will start it, and it sounds very nice, I think Kawai K4
was part of the inspiration.
The new Hexter version also has great sound, lots of
editing controls, and a gui lacking an artists flair.

The Calf Plugin suite, and Guitarix, have fine GUIs,
as do ardour and qtractor.

As mentioned, adding the KX Studio PPA repositories places
most audio apps in the Ubuntu package manager gui
(synapic). Simple directions are at each PPA webpage, a cut/paste of the
url, to text file /etc/apt/sources.list

Then start synaptic, and press 'reload' to download the list
of all updated apps. You select items to install, and press
the apply button, and the rest is done for you.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:Not much to see, a plain jane gui, with lots of controls,
14 tabs, and a config panel for keyboard control, polyphony, glide etc
Well the GUI isn't that interesting, but give us some sound examples then

The WhySynth webpage looks like it's been modeled on tech that was common on Bulletin Boards 20 years ago.

No sexy videos, no funky sound clips, all that's included is one lousy screenshot of the GUI. C'mon Linux people you can do better than this :x :D

So can you!

Hey guys!

I'm all up to making a few sounds with this beast. It really is huge. I *might* be able to make a video, but no promises, due to time limitations, etc. But it would be worth trying.

I can say this: WhySynth has a few sounds that I just keep coming back to, especially when it comes to having a nice "playable" warm sound. I haven't delved into the mysteries of programming it yet (well, that's not exactly true.. but some "serious" tweaking is what I still need to get into).

I've been meaning to start a new "tweak page" and haven't done it yet. I hope to change that soon, God willing..

BTW, there's another interesting linux-based synth you find included in LMMS, called "triple oscillator." That one gives not only arpeggiator options, but you can even select the modal chord structure, maj7, dim, flatted 5ths, everything.... :shock:

But for now, WhySynth will be getting more of my attention in the next days.
Hope so for you guys, too! ;)

brian

Return to “Instruments”