Developer fixing reviews of their own product?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

care to let us know which synth we're actually talking about here? or are we only supposed to chime in into the whining? if so, then this wouldn't exactly be the correct forum section anyway... just sayin'...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

*lol*
I mean, you will not find any company in the world that will publish negative opinions about their product on their web page.
If hardware like speakers or keyboards are tested in a magazine, the manufacturer will also only quote the most positive sentences on their web page or in a printed ad. Thats the oldest thing in the world.
ImageImage

WOK wrote:*lol*
I mean, you will not find any company in the world that will publish negative opinions about their product on their web page.
If hardware like speakers or keyboards are tested in a magazine, the manufacturer will also only quote the most positive sentences on their web page or in a printed ad. Thats the oldest thing in the world.
and it's completely legit. in the end what you want is sales...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

brok landers wrote:care to let us know which synth we're actually talking about here? or are we only supposed to chime in into the whining? if so, then this wouldn't exactly be the correct forum section anyway... just sayin'...
I don't see much whining in the OP ?

It's not like I go "this m**erf**er" changed my precious words" in the OP is it?

I don't really see the need to mention where the actual review is stated, that would be kind of like tablodizising it

My reasons for posting is in general to find out how common place this is.

And based on many of the answers, I understand that reviews found posted on developers websites can't really be trusted, as it is common place practice to tool them up as needed.

WOK wrote:*lol*
It wasn't a negative review I gave, it was 4 out 5 star ranking.

But I mentioned in the review that the synth was probably not too well suited for newbies as it came with few presets. And that the developer had deleted when they posted the review.

numanoid, no offense meant in any way...
based on your information now i think the balance of your statement is just a bit off-wheighted, that's all... sure, the presets of a synth are important for those who don't create their stuff by themself.
however, reviews that are used on a sites product on the companies site are used as advertising, as they can give a bit of a deeper insight on the product, how it works, emphasizing the strength of the product and why the reviewer actually likes it. have you ever seen an advertising whatsoever, that states a negative side of the product? i doubt that.

i'd really still love to hear of which synth we're talking about here anyway... :)
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

Numanoid wrote:This was a bit funny or strange

I had added a review of a synth on a developers webpage.

When I now see the review published, it seems the developer has edited the review, keeping the positive points I had made, but leaving out the point I had made that could be interpreted as negative (I had mentioned that the synth came with few presets).

So is this common praxis or what is the deal :?:
It's just common sense, Numanoid, with all due respect.

If I'm going to talk about (sell) my product(s) on my website, then it's all going to be positive, especially when I'm launching something new - anything that could be construed as negative I'm going to leave out. Besides: The lack of presets can be fixed by employing the services of a preset designer - simple.

Edit: If I WAS going to leave anything negative about my product(s) on my website, it would be done for effect; perhaps to make it look fair and balanced. But at the end of fhe day, assuming that I was a small developer, I'm going to control the content of my website as much as possible in order to get people to invest in me, and my work.

I think the thing to remember is that you did say the positive things the dev posted. It's not like he put words in your mouth.
It's really common practice in all kinds of industries.
If someone posted positive things that weren't actually in the review, then that would be out of line, but (within reason) I don't see anything wrong with using the positive comments as marketing. As a buyer of music gear, I look for positive comments from others in order to validate the decisions I've already made on some level, before I shell out, and the 'user comments' on dev's pages serve that end quite nicely. When I want to hear all the dirt, as well as the raves, I go to KVR :) But I think there is definitely an assumption on many of our parts that a review on a dev's website may be:
- edited slightly, but never faked
- selected to highlight the benefits
- possibly written by someone who got a free evaluation copy of the software

Personally I'm fine with that. I can find my way to something like the truth, given the volume of information at my disposal.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I have to agree that it's common sense that nobody wants a negative review (even if just in some parts); if you want honest reviews you have to go to places that are indipendent.

I understand perfectly that you're pissed because the developer cut off a part of your review; I would feel as I were cheating the potential buyer if I were telling only good things on a product while staying silent on the possible problems/drawbacks, nevermind leaving my name on a review like that... I'm not tailored for marketing and selling things, I know! :)

Anyway, taking just some sentences (for example the positive ones) is still something legit, that's the reason I would never write a review to be featured on a developer site (maybe I would consider it if I could write honestly only good things, so I would have no regrets); if I want to express my honest opinion on something I go to indipendent places (like kvr) where I'm free to write what I really think.

Numanoid wrote:........

And based on many of the answers, I understand that reviews found posted on developers websites can't really be trusted, as it is common place practice to tool them up as needed.
Be carefull when you make it a general thing though.

Not if the quotes send back to exact data that can be read on other sites.

Like "Xxx said this or that ( On Kvr forum )"

Or if something like "you can read the entire review there" is mentioned.

But I agree that a negative or 50/50 review should probably be posted somewhere else than on the dev site, on a neutral site for example, if you want to avoid some parts of the review to be cut.

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

sin night wrote:I understand perfectly that you're pissed because the developer cut off a part of your review
As stated above I'm not pissed at all, merely amused as to find out how things work in the "real world", and that I might be a tad naïve not realizing this from the start :wink:

See, this is why we don't have user reviews or artist statements on our website. The one magazine review that we licensed is from a mag that we don't advertise in.

I've always wondered what developers have been expecting from those testimonials and endorsement blurbs. They distract from the important information and everyone knows they're "curated". In some cases they're just so hilarious, it hurts. It's laughable, really.

In my observation, after talking to lots of artists, people use commercial software less when they get it for free. I hear "yeah I got an NFR but I haven't even installed it" more often than the other way round. From that perspective I assume that half of the people who share their excitement for a free copy have never even seen or heard it.

Tragic almost, that some people seem to fall for this...

But I digress... :oops:

Return to “Instruments”