UVI Vintage Legends, demo version now available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Failed Muso wrote: I'm sorry, but I refute that allegation 100%. If I wish to retain my credibility, I cannot, and therefore don't, show bias. Just because I really like their stuff, and therefore give them a positive review, does not mean it is demonstrating bias. What am I supposed to do? Say it's shit when it isn't, just to gain some credibility with you? I am absolutely not afraid of giving a bad review when something warrants it, and have done so. And if they decided to stop sending me stuff, then fine. That is not the reason I do any of this. I do it because I love the subject, I love writing, I love to inform and educate (it is what I do for a living) and the perks are just that. Perks. And trust me, if I gave someone a bad review, and then they blatantly stopped asking me to review their stuff, I'd be damn sure to let people know that. I hope, and am pretty certain, that the companies I deal with would not do that. They are taking a risk and expect a certain number of bad reviews in amongst the good ones.

Please don't talk to me in such a condescending manner and tell me what I should or shouldn't accept. You'd be surprised as to what my audience are in to. I don't need anyone to send me stuff for review. I was happy reviewing stuff that I had owned or used long before companies started sending me things, and still do (most recently a £100 Peter Gabriel box set that I bought myself, for example). If I was charging you to read my content, I'd accept a challenge to my credibility, but you don't have to read or view it and quite frankly, if I wanted to brown nose companies, I could easily do so. But my blog would not be respected and it wouldn't get the consistently improving hit rate it does if people believed what I wrote to be completely biased. I get plenty of feedback that agrees and disagrees with what I say or the opinions I have. But I get a solid visitor rate so I must be doing something right.

And let me once again clarify, because it clearly didn't register the last time, there is NO financial exchange. And before you say something along the lines of "you get £200 libraries for free, that's a financial exchange", what I get are review copies, whose licence I have to agree to as such. It also means I can't sell them on or offer them as gifts. And such licences can be withdrawn at anytime.

Once again, another KvR thread derails in spectacular fashion and ends in a load of bollox. I withdraw from this trainwreck :roll:
ok well I respect the intention to keep independent. Im not sure what to make of your strong emotional reaction. I have not set out to offend you but have been direct with what I think about this topic. Ive tried to be fair and balanced in mentioning the videos are useful - and that Im not saying anyone expects you to slate everything for the sake of it. I flagged up the relationship you claimed to have with UVI and Im just discussing the point that in my view -that if you get stuff free and have a relationship with someone - its likely to produce some bias in the review - its not totally independent.

If you consider the cost of UVI libraries - being one of their biggest stumbling blocks - the fact that you get them free is fairly likely in my book to influence and soften your perception of this drawback - and the UVI products relative value compared to the rest of the market.

The videos are useful as I mentioned because there often isnt much info out there on these libraries - but I have to admit it was quite obvious to me from the outset that these reviews and the airuser ones were getting them free. The doesnt mean they are not helpful to people - it just means as Ive mentioned - there might be a bit of bias. Thats just my opinion.

This topic has become rather busy!!! :)

If it hasn't been mentioned already:

JRRSHOP - UVI Vintage Legends (Iconic Synth Collection) - Download License

http://www.jrrshop.com/uvivintagelegends

$299.00 - $44.85 (Discount) = $254.15 (in cart price)

This is especially good for Europeans since there's no Tax.

Direct from UVISoundsource, this collection would cost me:

299.00 USD (which is the introductory price) + Tax 19.6% (58.60) = 357.60

Tax in my Country is usually 23% so 19.6% is OK.

It would actually cost a bit more with added PayPal or Credit Card conversion fees. Right now it's €199.11 EUR using PayPal from JRRSHOP. Exchange rate: 1 EUR = 1.27643 USD
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:This topic has become rather busy!!! :)

If it hasn't been mentioned already:

JRRSHOP - UVI Vintage Legends (Iconic Synth Collection) - Download License

http://www.jrrshop.com/uvivintagelegends

$299.00 - $44.85 (Discount) = $254.15 (in cart price)

This is especially good for Europeans since there's no Tax.

Direct from UVISoundsource, this collection would cost me:

299.00 USD (which is the introductory price) + Tax 19.6% (58.60) = 357.60

Tax in my Country is usually 23% so 19.6% is OK.

It would actually cost a bit more with added PayPal or Credit Card conversion fees. Right now it's €199.11 EUR using PayPal from JRRSHOP. Exchange rate: 1 EUR = 1.27643 USD
how are you getting the discount? I'm seeing $299 in my cart
thanks!

CS80 wrote:
Aloysius wrote:$254.15 (in cart price)
how are you getting the discount? I'm seeing $299 in my cart
thanks!
In cart price. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm Logged In or not. That's the price I'm seeing.

MrDuke wrote:Is it better in Mach Five 3? A lot of people say it's more usable than Kontakt. I've always found the Kontakt user interface clunky and counter-intuitive.
No idea if it's better than MF3 or not.

I've been using Kontakt for years so I guess I have a better time with it by now. I've developed a work-flow for Kontakt that works for me.

did anyone else buy it yet? Im still awaiting my licenses...Eric to his credit has sorted me out with the group discount even tho it didnt work when I tried it...250 is a pretty good deal I think for 6 of these...Im never sure if we are supposed to mention these 'secret' prices of not...!

If people are not seeing the best price quoted here, then I guess they should try to redeem the "GROUP" coupon code at JRR Shop on checkout. That might work.

The Licenses for this particular UVI Software needs to be manually generated, so it will take a little time to receive Licenses.

Aloysius wrote:
MrDuke wrote:Is it better in Mach Five 3? A lot of people say it's more usable than Kontakt. I've always found the Kontakt user interface clunky and counter-intuitive.
No idea if it's better than MF3 or not.

I've been using Kontakt for years so I guess I have a better time with it by now. I've developed a work-flow for Kontakt that works for me.
1) I don't have this library in particular but there shouldn't be any difference using it in UVI player or in MF3. The difference is in MF3 you can see all key zones, sample settings, layers, etc. while in UVI player you see nothing of this. I shall be corrected.

2) IMO: UVI libraries are fantastic quality, it's not just the samples itself but for example the Fairlight library was sampled from a real Fairlight's direct output for authenticity. Plus UVI sometimes throw in extra goodies, e.g. The Fairlight library has a mini drum sequencer and step sequencer. It's beyond the otherwise free available samples on the web. Again just my 2C (standard disclaimer).
Cowbells!

dalor wrote: 2) IMO: UVI libraries are fantastic quality, it's not just the samples itself but for example the Fairlight library was sampled from a real Fairlight's direct output for authenticity. Plus UVI sometimes throw in extra goodies, e.g. The Fairlight library has a mini drum sequencer and step sequencer. It's beyond the otherwise free available samples on the web. Again just my 2C (standard disclaimer).
I still don't see what is so much better than e.g. the Kontakt instrumkents of Synth Magic:

http://www.synthmagic.co.uk/products.htm

Most of them got a fantastic step sequencer, not only for pitch but also two additional sequencer lines for filter modulation.
Steve from Synth Magic only uses synths he own himself and he also creates the samples himself.

Do the UVI instruments offer something like custom modules for e.g. filters and envelopes? If not i don't really see what's so special.
I know taht Mach Five got different synth engines but those don't seem to be used for the Vintage Legends libraries.

Other great examples are the Kontakt instruments from e.g. Hollow Sun and Soniccouture.

OK, you need the full Kontakt for those (except for Hollow Sun) which is a drawback but if you got it is part of Komplete the single plugin is not so much expensive.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

To me its usability why I prefer UVI. Mainly 2 things: Browsing, Bigger GUI - and none of that "missing sample" crap I get from Kontakt at times. UVI libraries are just 1 or 2 files and they all work in the freeware UVI player.

Feature wise I'm not aware if any commercial UVI libraries use MF3 sound synthesis or custom code (script), I don't think so but could be wrong.

I have a lot of cheap and cool libraries from Forgottenkeys for kontakt, so both have their place but personally prefer UVI for the reasons above.
Cowbells!

dalor wrote: Feature wise I'm not aware if any commercial UVI libraries use MF3 sound synthesis or custom code (script), I don't think so but could be wrong.
Of course they use scripting for the GUI but i was talking about custom build filters or envelopes which would be really new/different. If not than it's not much different to Kontakt.

Many Kontakt libraries also include the WAV files so you could use the samples with almost any other sampler. The thing with missing samples is not really a common problem, at least to my experience.

Another question is how many independent developers published libraries for MAch Five or UVI workstation so far?
Most of them seem to be at the UVI web shop. Also the price of e.g. the Synth Magic and Hollow Sun Kontakt instruments are hard to beat and some of them seem to be more complex than the UVI ones.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
dalor wrote: Feature wise I'm not aware if any commercial UVI libraries use MF3 sound synthesis or custom code (script), I don't think so but could be wrong.
Of course they use scripting for the GUI but i was talking about custom build filters or envelopes which would be really new/different. If not than it's not much different to Kontakt.

Many Kontakt libraries also include the WAV files so you could use the samples with almost any other sampler. The thing with missing samples is not really a common problem, at least to my experience.

Another question is how many independent developers published libraries for MAch Five or UVI workstation so far?
Most of them seem to be at the UVI web shop. Also the price of e.g. the Synth Magic and Hollow Sun Kontakt instruments are hard to beat and some of them seem to be more complex than the UVI ones.

Ingo
Sonokinetic have produced 2 libraries for the UVI/Mach 5-3 platform

Carousel http://www.sonokinetic.net/products/classical/carousel/

and Bagpipes http://www.sonokinetic.net/products/her ... ipes-mach/

Custom code for filters, envelopes or synthesis per library wouldn't make much sense as they would need to be coded in a higher programming language and then be ported to Mac/Win, which would be the same effort as coding a VST plugin. A runtime script language for complex filters or sound synthesis would be way too slow, so a native compiled code would be the solution.

I know of one Independent developer, not sure who else is out there.
Cowbells!

dalor wrote:Custom code for filters, envelopes or synthesis per library wouldn't make much sense as they would need to be coded in a higher programming language and then be ported to Mac/Win, which would be the same effort as coding a VST plugin. A runtime script language for complex filters or sound synthesis would be way too slow, so a native compiled code would be the solution.

I know of one Independent developer, not sure who else is out there.
That's exactly my point. I am still searching for something special (besides which synths were used for the samples...) for using UVI instead of Kontakt.

Conclusion is that i don't see much revolutionary stuff except that Mach Five 3 got different synth engines which AFAIK are not used for those Vintage Legends libraries.

Something like the MachFive Biosphere soundbank looks interesting as it uses those different synth engines:
http://www.uvisoundsource.com/machfive- ... ucts_id/67

It is mentioned that it runs under UVI Workstation 2 so this seems to also include those synth engines which makes it more interesting for me.
Now the question is how far those synth engines have been also involved with the Vintage legends library (it looks like parts of the FM in "The Beast" has been done with the internal FM engine).

Don't get me wrong, there are some very interesting libraries (e.g. Fairlight, The Beast, String Machines, Synth Anthology etc.) at the UVI website but the prices are up to 199$ (and much more in some cases...) which is the price of a full featured synth like e.g. the new Rayblaster from Tone2. If you have to pay 19% VAT like here in Germany it gets even worse.

Based on those prices, the price of MachFive 3 (around 300 Euros) and the fact that you need an iLok key the question is how cheap it really is compared to owning Kontakt (or Komplete...) and some Kontakt libraries (not to forget that many of those Kontakt libraries contain the WAV sample files for use in other samplers...). Of course i know there are also some expensive Kontakt libraries out there but as not all those libraries are sold from a single shop the prices differ very much and some are even free.

If you then think about that Komplete 8 (standard version) costs below 500 Euros and how many synths (e.g. Kontakt, FM8, Massive, Absynth, Reaktor) and sample libraries it includes it seems to be the better offer for my taste.
The price corresponds to that of Mach Five 3 and one of the more expensive sample libraries. Based on the thousands of sounds included alone for the synths even the new synth engines of Mach Five look less interesting. For example instead of a built in FM engine you got one both in FM8 and Absynth (and also Reaktor...).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator raises a very good point. Komplete 8 is a ridiculous value for money, and offers so much (Reaktor is endless!) - and UVI really can't touch that. But I don't think that's their intention, really.

Return to “Instruments”