enChord v1 - a new concept for electronic music performance and composition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How soon for ipad standalone?

Avantgarde Audio wrote: …I will be happy to respond to any questions you guys may have.
Avantgarde Sound--
But you haven't responded at all to the many requests for a future VST/AU version. Not yet, anyway… ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Well I have the Lemur app so I thought i'd give this a go. At very least it's a convenient database of interesting chords for me to learn. But once you get through the pain of connecting Lemur to your DAW (adhoc connections remain very painful to setup on my Macs) this is a thoroughly amazing tool.

I've programmed a few fairly basic Lemur patches and am stunned at how fast and easy this is.
The touch functionality seems pretty important for usability but this is mainly a clever database. I can imagine a Max/MSP tool or maybe something in Synthedit but it isn't a regular VST that is for sure.

Spitfire31 wrote:
Avantgarde Audio wrote: …I will be happy to respond to any questions you guys may have.
Avantgarde Sound--
But you haven't responded at all to the many requests for a future VST/AU version. Not yet, anyway… ;-)

/Joachim
My thoughts too.

I guess marketing is not a strongpoint.

pinki wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:
Avantgarde Sound--

/Joachim
My thoughts too.

I guess marketing is not a strongpoint.
For you guys it's never enough, isn't? Give him a break. Just over a week ago he announced this program with the technical requirements needed and you're already asking for more. The idea of a vst(i) is not making sense, it's a controller, not some sort of midifx you put as an insert in a midi track.

bronswerk wrote: For you guys it's never enough, isn't? Give him a break. Just over a week ago he announced this program with the technical requirements needed and you're already asking for more. The idea of a vst(i) is not making sense, it's a controller, not some sort of midifx you put as an insert in a midi track.
I agree with giving him a break, but it could easily be a plugin, if it were a VST midi plugin that had templates for popular controller layouts, like 4x3, 4x4, 8x2, 8x8, and custom, then let you use its engine to be the midi input just like an arp would be used, just like if it were an external controller. Anyhow I hope he gives the idea of a VST a real hard look, because i think it is both possible and probably more profitable.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

bronswerk wrote:Give him a break.
I'm sure that this ingenious fellow can take care of himself very well around here without you acting as his uninvited minder.

For the record, he specifically invited "any questions", even saying that he'd "be happy" to answer them! And all it takes is to noncommittally acknowledge the request, like 'that's an idea I'll have to think about in the future.'

Sure it's a controller, but there are droves of MIDI controllers that could arguably work with a VST/AU plug on Win/Mac to give very similar features.

/Joachim

Unintentional double post - sorry! :oops:

No I wasn't asking about the vst idea, I agree...it's for Lemur not vst and that is that.

I was wondering about voice leading and inversion which I asked sometime ago. And it seems that when something is "hot" like this it's a good idea to answer questions about it (not something else however). Anyhow it's up to him and yes it is holiday season!

Spitfire31 wrote:
bronswerk wrote:Give him a break.
For the record, he specifically invited "any questions", even saying that he'd "be happy" to answer them! And all it takes is to noncommittally acknowledge the request, like 'that's an idea I'll have to think about in the future.'

Sure it's a controller, but there are droves of MIDI controllers that could arguably work with a VST/AU plug on Win/Mac to give very similar features.

/Joachim
Noncommittally acknowledge the request and then what? Wait till you all get over it and move on to the next package of bytes to obsess over. Which will be next week if not tomorrow?
Be nice, make suggestions, give encouragement. Offer to help maybe? Mocking him for making a Lemur patch instead of a VST plugin is douchbaggery. Do you cry over Linux only releases also? :cry:

So I mentioned support for external controllers, which I think is totally feasable, but also remember that more and more laptops and desktops even are getting touch screens. You don't need the abstraction and issues dealing with an ipad if you keep the software on the same platform as the DAW. You could just have the plugin skin to 'play' as the controller and let your host record the output.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:So I mentioned support for external controllers, which I think is totally feasable, but also remember that more and more laptops and desktops even are getting touch screens. You don't need the abstraction and issues dealing with an ipad if you keep the software on the same platform as the DAW.
And this is a good point. From what I understand Usine Hollyhock is a fully touch enabled DAW. A plugin that fits into an environment like that would be welcome.

I always wondered why no one made a performance front end for Live for PCs and Macs yet. It seems to me that the possibility of custom touch controllers is one of the most exciting things to come along for DAWs, not to make the whole DAW touch-enabled which I think would be a mistake but to create custom interfaces to used for certain tasks like live performance and mixing. If I were a developer it would be an emerging market I would want top corner ASAP. I think iPad as external controller is a dying concept (regarding DAW control, not hardware synths etc).

braj wrote: I think iPad as external controller is a dying concept (regarding DAW control, not hardware synths etc).
Is it a dying concept? If so it's only because of how annoying it is to wrestle with adhoc and routers. In my experience the Lemur app has been revelatory as a controller for live use. At the same time i'm also happy to be using real keys, sliders and encoders again.

secretkillerofnames wrote:
braj wrote: I think iPad as external controller is a dying concept (regarding DAW control, not hardware synths etc).
Is it a dying concept? If so it's only because of how annoying it is to wrestle with adhoc and routers. In my experience the Lemur app has been revelatory as a controller for live use. At the same time i'm also happy to be using real keys, sliders and encoders again.
Yeah, ONLY because of connectivity issues. But there is no reason to run an external app if you have a native touchscreen. Tethering a iPad for something like this (in the near future anyhow) would be like tethering an iPad to run Angry Birds. I guess only if you need the extra monitor that the iPad gives does it get redemption, otherwise I would rather have a dual monitor touchscreen all native to my DAW. I am not knocking Lemur, iPads etc, just trying to give a reason for the dev to very seriously consider ports to make it a native app on Windows.

I think it would be good if it wasn't a VST but runs as a separate app and appears as an external midi controller to your DAW. Maybe that would simplify a port.

Return to “Instruments”