alternative like dr rex? **FOUND** GEIST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Z3R0T0N1N wrote:Does Phatmatik Pro do Rex files? I have it, maybe I should check... but I know the original little free one did.
You have to use the built-in browser for preview, but they do play in sync.
I know it's an older plugin, so no 64bit; but, being an older plugin usually means better CPU efficiency. I would give it a shot. I bought it from BitShift, but Izotope owns it now.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/phatmatik/
it's completely discontinued and unavailable for sale any more. the legacy page is left there only for current users to be able to download. So i used that page to download the latest version which is functioning as a 10 day demo. Phatmatik was the first thing i thought of.. But.. even if i found a copy on the MP, it's not working nicely with logic's 64 bit bridge.. so it's absolutely a no go.. but thank you :)

TheoM wrote:i will check out stylus i must admit.. never used it properly.

can it sync rex to tempo in preview playback?
REX2 files need to be converted to the proprietary Stylus RMX format in order to be utilized by Stylus. The conversion is handled by a small program that comes with Stylus (sage converter). I've never once had a problem with slice accuracy. The translation has been flawless for all of my REX libraries (which must be getting close to 100 by now).

Yes Stylus will preview the loops at the track tempo. You can double-speed or half-speed preview them as well. The preview function is VERY good, but again, it's not as easy as Dr Rex (which is still the best). Stylus does so much more than just tempo-sync'd loop playback. Mixing and matching loop elements (kicks, snares, hats) to make your own loops is incredibly powerful and useful... and easy.

That sounds indeed very interesting. I'll need to hunt and extensively watch video demos as $50 transfer fee is a bit steep if i don't like it.

I should change my sig and add "companies need to have demos"

pdxindy wrote:Don't know if this is any help for anyone with Geist... I do not have a Rex files to even check the accuracy

http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73211
well that says it DOES do it, so now i am confused, so i am going to download the latest demo, try it, and see what happens. Plenty of rex files to test with here. And if i love it, will wait for the next sale of $100 or less as they commobly do.

Oh.. for previewing, i found out today the UVI player does the job.. but very simply editing.

Going through some loops and they all sound fine, i haven't done any editing but i played a few then tried deleting slice information; no difference. Also compared in maschine. These are factory loops though and obviously you have to use layers for anything that goes over 16 pads but everything sounds as normal as far as my ears can tell!

Btw i think the demo is not the latest version, it's 1.1.1 here.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

TheoM wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Don't know if this is any help for anyone with Geist... I do not have a Rex files to even check the accuracy

http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73211
well that says it DOES do it, so now i am confused, so i am going to download the latest demo, try it, and see what happens. Plenty of rex files to test with here. And if i love it, will wait for the next sale of $100 or less as they commobly do.

Oh.. for previewing, i found out today the UVI player does the job.. but very simply editing.
I suggest you contact Fxpansion as well... they are helpful folk

edit

Slicex.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote:Slicex.
Slicex is PC only

Theo - you could try the free Geist Lite if all you want it for is previewing REX files. It must have the same import fucntion as the full version.

i do have geist lite registered thanks forgot about it...

however the preview is fine as i have the uvi player which does it.

I really was looking for something that had the dr rex features.

all good thanks everyone for being so helpful btw, much appreciated :)

Redspark wrote:
liquidsound wrote:Slicex.
Slicex is PC only
but somewhere I remember Theo buying a PC :shrug:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I have a windows laptop that gets used maybe once a week.. i don't see how i would sync it to logic to preview loops in tempo to the project and in sync LOL.

However, is slicex image line?

that's one of the devs in my top 5 list of those who will never see another cent from me. Maybe when hell freezes over.

Z3R0T0N1N wrote:Does Phatmatik Pro do Rex files?
REX1 only, so no stereo files, if I remember rightly. In fact the original Phatmatik (the free version) was a REX player.

I wish izotope had continued development of PPro, I still find it much more immediate than any other beatslicer... right down to drag-and-drop of the MIDI needed to sequence the loop.

FWIW (obviously not to Theo) various versions of Sonar have included plugins that handled REX files; DropZone, Beatscape, RXP. Now it handles them natively as well.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yep of course.. that's why i recently checked out sonar on my win laptop..

it's definitely a good host these days but even with skylight i just couldn't get to grips with the interface.. It's just not me.

The thing is i have always happily admitted that my weakest point is drums.

Dr REx made that part fun, cause once i found something i liked i could create anything i wanted out of it using the individual sounds of the loop with reason's easy to use REX midi editor. Was such a breeze. I was creating beats and variations in no time.

Actually, for drums overall, particularly EDM styles, reason is simply the best host i have ever used.. i was actually able to really create my own beats in it with murder, etc.

Return to “Instruments”