Is it legal for mac users to change the gui of plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yeah i don't like the gold..

There's a silver with a red going around that i just love.. that is my dream one.. but it's windows only and it IS a hacked dll so downloading it would be downloading a warez version, then extracting the images and renaming them to mac format. Too rich for my blood. :(

A lawyer would possibly say:

- If you do it without the purpose to earn cash with it IT IS NOT illegal.
- If you just share modified image files without the content of a Plug-In you aren't doing any harm to anybody (unless you don't put any virus inside).

Some here spoke of "re-colored GUI's" - I personally think they sometimes are even better than the original dead-industrial-gray designs!! :hihi: Some folks expect full re-designed GUI's without knowing how much work that involves. Nobody can impose their tastes to anybody anyway. But why not creating a blog about re-colored or re-designed GUI's? :?:

Delfinoverde wrote:- If you just share modified image files without the content of a Plug-In you aren't doing any harm to anybody (unless you don't put any virus inside).
Even if it's only images and not .dll you can't share them if you happen to only change colors/hue without the permission of the author (complete redesign should be ok if the company allow it). For example you can't share any of the Camel Audio product skins (like Alchemy) because BitPlant (maker of the skins for Camel) don't allow to re-use his assets, which you are if you're only changing colors.

Of course for your own personal use I'm sure there's no problem and there's no way for them to know anyways.

From a legal point of view you simply can't modify (or, worse, share) anything you own otherwise you are creating an unauthorized derivative work.

From an user point of view what i said above is simply crazy, i should be able to modifiy and hack everything i own.

From an enlightened developer point of view (U-He and Cockos just to name a few) modified version of GUI are allowed and their sharing is added value to the original work.

alphadelphi wrote:From a legal point of view you simply can't modify (or, worse, share) anything you own otherwise you are creating an unauthorized derivative work.
incorrect... of course you can modify it; you cannot redistribute that derivative work without authorisation, though.

Delfinoverde wrote:A lawyer would possibly say:

- If you do it without the purpose to earn cash with it IT IS NOT illegal.
No lawyer would ever say that. 'Purpose' is irrelevant, as is 'earning cash'.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I don't see any problems with this, as long as it's for your personal use. :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

if i had hardware synths, i'd paint them, or put stickers on them, etc. but it IS important to know the difference between personal use and public sharing. i customize the GUI on most things i use; it makes me happy.

dune rocks! and i like that mine looks like...mine. (and richard is a great developer to deal with...)

Richard_Synapse wrote:I don't see any problems with this, as long as it's for your personal use. :)

Richard
The man has spoken, thanks Rich :)

I think, it depends on which way the GUI is archivated.

If it's directly in the dll/programm file - it would be kind of encoding the software files - which is mostly forbidden on the license agreement.

if the GUI files are "open" in folders places, like for example on u-He Synths, it's ok.

Cyforce wrote:I think, it depends on which way the GUI is archivated.

If it's directly in the dll/programm file - it would be kind of encoding the software files - which is mostly forbidden on the license agreement.

if the GUI files are "open" in folders places, like for example on u-He Synths, it's ok.
This. Even for a personal use.

Return to “Instruments”