Are the factory basses in Lush 101 weak compared to the rest of the presets which are sooo good?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi i am finding this really weird, i can't find any basses in the Lush 101 that are phat, for want of a (much) better word lol.
I bought it on the MP here cause the price was so ridiculous i knew i could always get my $$$ back easily.. was an instant impulse buy and i beat lots of people to it :hihi: .. so i am not too worried, just that i like it alot more than i gave the demo credit for after spending the last couple hours with it without any restrictions :)

And i expected bass to be it's FORTE.. but it sounds kind of thin and muffled! I am really confused! :?

Whereas the arps and pads are quite beautiful, but they eat tons of CPU.. some of those multi splits are just stunning though.. i could write a whole song around them..:grin:

But yeah, then it just loses all it's guts with the basses..

What's up with that? Are there some 3rd party banks around (commercial is fine) that show a much better side to the Lush bass?

Thanks much in advance,

T

EDIT, have changed the topic title to "are the" rather then "why are the" cause it seems it's 50/50 so far on Lush bass opinion.
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

I have some free presets for it, I don't think there is more than one bass patch in it though :)

http://www.aiynzahev-sounds.com/free-packs.html

It didn't immediately take the cake for bass for me either. Does them nicely, just needs some Eqing.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Am going through the pads now, and wow.. The one entitled "Church Gospell". Totally giving me goose bumps.

But maximizing a core with a few voices.

I think they will improve dsp with updates, i really do,

and i think it's worth keeping for those "lush" (pun actually not intended) pads.

It's just got this sound to that just feels warm and majestic.

Thanks for the bank link Sami, i think i will just use Corona and Trilian for Bass, and lush101 for other stuff. I think lush is worth keeping for sure .. I can't fault the sound other than the bass.. everything else sounds good.

Plus i hate eq-ing bass to sound more beefy, i'd rather start with a better bass to begin with

:)

TheoM wrote:Am going through the pads now, and wow.. The one entitled "Church Gospell". Totally giving me goose bumps.

But maximizing a core with a few voices.

I think they will improve dsp with updates, i really do,

and i think it's worth keeping for those "lush" (pun actually not intended) pads.

It's just got this sound to that just feels warm and majestic.

Thanks for the bank link Sami, i think i will just use Corona and Trilian for Bass, and lush101 for other stuff. I think lush is worth keeping for sure .. I can't fault the sound other than the bass.. everything else sounds good.

Plus i hate eq-ing bass to sound more beefy, i'd rather start with a better bass to begin with

:)
Yeah for plucks and pads it's just awesome.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Oh well at least someone agrees with me this time, and specifically very nice to know that it's a skilled sound designer who does! Phew ( i was really worried it might be my ear)

TheoM wrote:Hi i am finding this really weird, i can't find any basses in the Lush 101 that are phat, for want of a (much) better word lol.
I said this from beginning but nobody wanted to listen... :shrug:

There are also other reasons why i am still not really interested in LuSH but this is one of them.

BTW currently Patrick from TAL is working on a new SH-101 emulation based on the technology in U-NO-LX.
U-NO-LX is maybe limited compared to LuSH but for what it does it is great.

Anyway you could improve the lacking low end a bit with the built-in EQ like you could do with any synth which got a built-in EQ (or use an external one).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

yes, me too. It lacks the low-end oomph of the real sh-101
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

AFAIK, they don't pay for presets. I could imagine that therefore they don't have the hardest working sound designers.

I could be wrong of course, so please feel free to correct me.

TheoM, which synth do you consider to have onboard bass patches strong and phat enough for your liking?

It seems that most of these huge basses we hear in EDM are obtained by layering at least two or three synths - e.g., one for sub, one for midrange body and further one for top frequencies. Add bus compression, some saturation or distortion and you get the sum of parts way fatter and bigger than any of the parts taken alone. Probably that's why when one is auditioning factory pathes of a synth he may be underwhelmed by not instantly hearing THAT FAT SOUND.

I, however, never tried LUSH101 myself. It may just shine at other things than bass. Not any synth in the universe must be a bass machine.

Many synths got "tricks" how to achieve better low end but in many cases those are not used.
In my commercial Blofeld soundbank i used the filter drive with the Tube mode for many of the patches and also a slightly detuned Unison.

The easiest way is to use a built-in (or external) EQ for the Low Shelf or using Drive (either internal or external).
In some cases it just about setting the phase of the waveform correctly (examples: Basic Saw in Diversion or start phase in Rayblaster).

In Saurus you could use the PW of the Sawtooth (same in Rayblaster) at a value around 50 to add a second sawtooth to fatten the sound up.

Of course a dedicated Sub-Osc could be helpful too and finally also adding a small amount of Chorus FXs could be helpful (also found this for the LuSH demo version).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Absolutely ZERO problems making huge sub destroying basses here...

With correct use of unison, filters, env's, dist etc. you can get big yet punchy bass with just 1 layer. Start adding layers and well...

The distortion effect is extremely versatile and sounds GREAT. It does sat mojo as well as crunch.

Keep tweaking :)
Last edited by APHELEON s.a. on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your mom used to alias, but now she is oversampled.
-----------------------
www.BASSFACErecords.com

APHELEON s.a. wrote:Absolutely ZERO problems making huge sub destroying basses here...
+1

Totally agree.. only problem i had was finding where LuSh 101 was where my saved presets were being saved, i eventually found them so i can continue with the new sound sets for this thing..

@Theo

Big full on basses here no problem at all ;-)

Rob

Rob, do you sell a Lush soundset of your own? I've got your Sylenth patches and love them. Would love to buy your Lush patches if you have them for sale...

johnnyvn wrote:Rob, do you sell a Lush soundset of your own? I've got your Sylenth patches and love them. Would love to buy your Lush patches if you have them for sale...
Hi Johnny,

I have just completed the new Synthmaster factory sounds and now i opened up the LuSH 101 again. Yes there will be a series of banks for this one each containing 64 sounds. I'm a bit limited though for parts here as i'm just on a quad core q6600 so i have to do what i can with the power i have in this computer. So far i have got some truly amazing sounds out of this synth.. i'd say along with Synthmaster and Diva it's the best synth (software) i ever had the pleasure of using.

Stay tuned Johnny BIG things coming soon.. you don't need a Virus to make great sounds.. mine is collecting dust lol :-)

Rob

rob_lee wrote:[..] So far i have got some truly amazing sounds out of this synth.. i'd say along with Synthmaster and Diva it's the best synth (software) i ever had the pleasure of using. [..]
Finally, we are not alone anymore in believing LuSH-101 is an amazing synthesizer plugin! In our opinion, it's indeed up there quality wise with the best there is on offer at the moment. We are currently working on a sound bank for it and really enjoy the wide range of different sounds it can produce, it's so powerful. Don't expect the sound bank to be finished real soon, we have some other projects that needs to be finished first.
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Return to “Instruments”