Waldorf Largo goes 64 Bit in Summer 2013

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:I think it should help Waldorf pinpoint it. Please relay the report to them, thanks :)
Have to contact ehem soon anyway so i'll do then. :)

Ingo
You can pinpoint them of course, as many people did before. The result will be zero anyway.

I have the slow GUI issues on Mac 32 bit. It's a lot worse on the AU than it is on the VST. Problem is noticeable on PPG 3.V as well. The only other VST I've had any similar problems with were the Arturia ones. Coincidentally using the same copy protection.

Macbook Pro Core i5

I kind of like the look of the Largo synth. It's digital so why pretend it's analog with wood paneling on the side? To me, wood paneling on a plugin is like wood paneling on a station wagon. Yuck. Most "realistic-looking" software synths I've seen are sluggish, anyway. I'd say focus on the workflow and stability.

Now if they could just fix the sh*tty VST3>AU wrapper then it'd be all good. I sent them a Logic session that was crashing Lector and it crashed for them too. Yay. Hopefully we're getting somewhere.

-Sam

Good design is not just a fresh and cool hardware look, but also about making a product more attractive and easier to use.
Different sections of an instrument obviously do different things, but if everything looks the same, and share the same colour, it will make it harder and also less inspiring to use. It just looks to busy and wrong. You just don't get a proper overview of the front when it all looks the same.

Decagon wrote:Good design is not just a fresh and cool hardware look, but also about making a product more attractive and easier to use.
A backlit LCD should look like a backlit LCD, because it is a backlit LCD.
Different sections of an instrument obviously do different things, but if everything looks the same, and share the same colour, it will make it harder and also less inspiring to use. You just don't get a proper overview of the front when it all looks the same. It also looks like the person behind the product just don't care that much.
I don't know. Consistency is not synonymous with poor interface design. Some of the best hardware synths have monotone designs, like minibrute, jomox sunsyn, Vermona Perfourmer MK2, Prophet '08... All awesome synths that people love to use. Waldorf also made some pretty monotone hardware synths, like blofeld and microwave xt. And as far as realistic-looking designs go, fabfilter twin 2 has nothing that looks remotely realistic, but it's the most inspiring interface I've ever seen in a synth.

Functional designs are good, yes, but attractive designs only serve to make the product more desirable to purchase. Attractiveness does not equate to ease of use. If the design is too attractive, it can impede use as it's distracting. It takes focus off your ears and puts it on your eyes, which for music is pointless.

I'm not saying make it look ugly as hell (cough synthmaster). I'm just saying as long as the gui is logical, I don't mind doing some reading to find where the modulators are.

What do you have in mind for an ideal soft synth?

-Sam

Decagon wrote:Good design is not just a fresh and cool hardware look, but also about making a product more attractive and easier to use.
Different sections of an instrument obviously do different things, but if everything looks the same, and share the same colour, it will make it harder and also less inspiring to use. It just looks to busy and wrong. You just don't get a proper overview of the front when it all looks the same.
If you take the time to learn the layout, study each section, what it does - then your issue with the GUI will vanish.

Yes, but none of those hardware synths are poorly designed. They used minimalism and colour for the design of those synths. Waldorf just used greyness and red on Largo and Lector. Not the same thing.

Ideal softsynth?
Hmm. Maybe something in the lines of the new Prophet 12. It would be nice to see Eurorack and all the different modules in software form.
Last edited by Decagon on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Everglide, you should not really have to study a synth to be able to use it.
It should be clear and quick to use. Old analog synths are always clear and easy to use. Everything is split up in sections with clear labels of the functions. This is how softsynths should be for me.

Waldorf Largo has definitely one of the best looking GUI's around that is also very well designed from functional viewpoint. GUI design actually is very important because there is nothing more off-putting than working with butt ugly GUI. That's why I avoid a lot of free stuff - most of them look horrible.
No signature here!

Decagon wrote:Everglide, you should not really have to study a synth to be able to use it.
It should be clear and quick to use. Old analog synths are always clear and easy to use. Everything is split up in sections with clear labels of the functions. This is how softsynths should be for me.
Largo is no simple VA synth but a complex synth with lots of options. Based on that the interface is nice as it is IMO.
BTW the sections in Largo seem to be labeled correctly and they seem to be clearly separated too (both in the main GUi and the additional tabs).

My opinion is that with all features on one page the GUI Largo but be a huge mess and the synth would be unusable.

For me the combination of white + red colors and metal like parts (e.g. knobs) are very beautiful.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

So, will it really be 64bit this summer? :D

I would really like if they updated Largo GUI to something like their new product NAVE. C'mon Waldorf, please do this.

What might make Largo seem overwhelming initially is the Modulation Matrix integrated into GUI. When programming presets this becomes very handy. Everything is at your fingertips. Largo has depth and its all fits into 1000 x 714 pixels.

Alex Hartman is a craftsman and I hope he ignores any detrimental comments towards his GUI. His grid system, layout, use of colour, alignment, typography and general styling on everything he does reflects the Waldorf quality.

Igro wrote:I would really like if they updated Largo GUI to something like their new product NAVE. C'mon Waldorf, please do this.
Very likely won't happen.

EvilDragon wrote:
Igro wrote:I would really like if they updated Largo GUI to something like their new product NAVE. C'mon Waldorf, please do this.
Very likely won't happen.

I hope it doesn't because I like the layout of largo as it is.
:borg:

Return to “Instruments”