Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fmr wrote:Take a look at this editor http://xplorer.programmer.free.fr (it's a sys-ex editor for the real Xpander/Matrix-12). It gives a good idea of the structure and of the elements needed :)
The manuals are also an excellent source of information. I believe that if the feature requests thrown into this thread for the Obxd were implemented, we wouldn't be very far from this anyway. One interesting quote from the Matrix-12 manual:
Matrix-12 Manual wrote:Each of the Matrix-12's Voices is completely independent and each can be programmed to play a different sound. They can be grouped polyphonically into Zones or operated independently, from the Keyboard and MIDI simultaneously...
Someone already mentioned subdividing the Unison mode into different groups ("poly-unison"), but this would go a step beyond. I find something really wonderful happens when you start doubling the textures. In fact in a recent experiment, by using two complementary patches, detuning , and offsetting the pans, the sound was so rich that using Sountoys' Microshift hardly made a difference! Think of the potential of spreading say 18 voices over 2 or 3 textures. Polyphonic LFO's... modulated panning... and being able to do all this from one interface... the 2DaTrix-18... ;)

I have a Matrix 12 with 12 individual audio outputs. Love it. :tu: :borg:

Mr LouisDCarroll Jr. wrote:I have a Matrix 12 with 12 individual audio outputs. Love it. :tu: :borg:
That must be nice! ;) Would you be willing to do a quick A/B audio comparison to the Obxd? Some OSC waveforms and a few filter sweeps? I'd really like to hear the basic differences. TIA if you can!

Mr LouisDCarroll Jr. wrote:I have a Matrix 12 with 12 individual audio outputs. Love it. :tu: :borg:
Really? :o I want one too :cry:
Fernando (FMR)

Breeze wrote:
That must be nice! ;) Would you be willing to do a quick A/B audio comparison to the Obxd? Some OSC waveforms and a few filter sweeps? I'd really like to hear the basic differences. TIA if you can!
The Matrix-12 filter has 15 different types :wink: It's a lot of recordings :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:The Matrix-12 filter has 15 different types :wink: It's a lot of recordings :hihi:
Of course... smart-a**. :hihi: Just asking for the ones that match the Obxd's... :ud:

Do filters on matrix self oscillate?

2DaT wrote:Do filters on matrix self oscillate?
they should, as the expander and M12 both utilize cem3372 filter chips like my AX80 whicn do self oscillate :wink:

hit me up for the graphic work if you decide to tackle it :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
2DaT wrote:Do filters on matrix self oscillate?
they should, as the expander and M12 both utilize cem3372 filter chips like my AX80 whicn do self oscillate :wink:

hit me up for the graphic work if you decide to tackle it :tu:
Are you getting ready to take off? :party:
:harp: :band: :band: :band: :band2: :band2: :band2: :band2:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
2DaT wrote: Something "inspired by" rather than clone of matrix/xpander. :)
Please do :)

I will give you all the colaboration I can on that one.
I´d do too,- I own a Xpander as 1st owner.
fmr wrote: Take a look at this editor http://xplorer.programmer.free.fr (it's a sys-ex editor for the real Xpander/Matrix-12). It gives a good idea of the structure and of the elements needed :)
Good idea,- that looks like a single voice of the Xpander.
The Xplorer is just only for single patches (single patch mode) though,- not a dedicated Matrix-12 editor at all.
It don´t even works for multi patch mode of the Xpander IIRC.

So, it would be o.k. to have that layout (when getting the permission) for ONE voice of the Xpander,- but then some kind of MIDI multi mode shell becomes to be essential, just only to throw in the single voices/mono synths and organize the play modes.
AND,- a complex preset system might be needed because in a Xpander/Matrix-12 you can edit and store single patches while working in multi patch mode,- and in a Matrix-12, the real good sounds come from multi patch mode, layering voices or combined split/layers.
Have also in mind all is freerun in a Xpander/Matrix-12,- the LFOs, all the envelopes, the OSCs too.
Up to now, I haven´t seen any VSTi offering all LFOs and ENVs w/ freerun modes on demand like the Xpander hardware does.
I fear, such synth emulation will cost a lot of developement time and when ready,- CPU !

PeWe

Multi-Mode would be redundant, IMHO, as we can use several instances of the VSTi, instead... Don't loose development time with this, give priority to the other things. If you really want to implement multi-mode, do it as a last priority, after everything else is working properly.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

Axis1~SL61 wrote:Multi-Mode would be redundant, IMHO, as we can use several instances of the VSTi, instead... Don't loose development time with this, give priority to the other things. If you really want to implement multi-mode, do it as a last priority, after everything else is working properly.
Totally agree.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hey, OBXD sounds really great, quite fresh and powerful! Thank you very much!

Couldn’t resist to cut a small “Jump” cover version, hehe…

https://soundcloud.com/markus808-1/jump-obxd

Cheers
Markus808
Last edited by Markus808 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackWinny wrote:
Axis1~SL61 wrote:Multi-Mode would be redundant, IMHO, as we can use several instances of the VSTi, instead... Don't loose development time with this, give priority to the other things. If you really want to implement multi-mode, do it as a last priority, after everything else is working properly.
Totally agree.
That´s not true,- only valid for DAW usage.
It´s not a Xpander or Matrix-12 then.
What´s up when using it live and having no "Multi Patch Mode" ?
That is what the HEART of the Xpander/Matrix-12 is,- combining zones w/ split(layer abilities and play from the same or different MIDI channels.
And in Multi Patch Mode there are also global controllers for all the voices.

PeWe

PeWe wrote:That´s not true,- only valid for DAW usage.
It´s not a Xpander or Matrix-12 then.
What´s up when using it live and having no "Multi Patch Mode" ?
That is what the HEART of the Xpander/Matrix-12 is,- combining zones w/ split(layer abilities and play from the same or different MIDI channels.
And in Multi Patch Mode there are also global controllers for all the voices.
I agree. One of my biggest problems with the Obxd is its limited built-in modulation capabilities. Almost anything can be accomplished with automation but little of it live unless you resort to a sub-host like I did with Bidule. But sophisticated modulation capabilities like the ones of the X/12 are also a real advantage in sound design.

I experimented running 8 monophonic Obxd's in Bidule and the CPU hit was only a few % more than ruining a single instance at 8 voices. So multimode is definitely possible. I imagine the "trick" is to create an atomic Obxd with all the requisite modulation hooks and then build the larger container that will manage its multiplicity. I have to re-iterate that some really beautiful textures can be generated by layering different sounds; at the very least, a dual or triple mode would be nice.

So apart from the filters and some additional modulation sources, most of the work is implementing control and management of modulation, patches and multiple instances; it's still a considerable amount of work. Right now, I feel 2DaT is just throwing rocks in the lake to see where the ripples go. We'll have to see If he's ready to take a very deep breath, jump in and cross the lake...;)

@2DaT: and you thought we were bad when we were asking for things like 0-100% Key Tracking, and to change the name of LFO "Pitch" to "Depth"... :hihi:
Last edited by Breeze on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”