VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Axis1~SL61 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:[...] hard to believe the drums are from the OBXD :)
indeed!... I thought the same, as I tried to make some drums with it and the kick kept on sounding somewhat fased or something... especially in the attack transients, no 2 kick hits came out sounding the same, I'm not sure why, really puzzling...
Yes, I noticed the same thing, the punch and volume with kick drums come and go like in big waves or intervals. Maybe it has to do with the extreme settings that are often used for making drums on normal synths, like resonance to max...
Actually, it's precisely the random variations of the engine that gives the Obxd its rich sound that also makes it difficult to have predictable behaviors like we typically want in percussion, especially with the attack. In the original demo I did before the OSC I actually took the best kick sample I had and copied it (and then didn't use it in the OSC because of the rules... ) because I found the attack wandered too much.

I remember commenting in this thread at some point that it could be useful if we could control more of the randomness and if the VAR controls could have more stringent control over the randomness, particularly with regards to the envelope. :shrug:
Yeah, but now that we know, we can use pads as kick drums :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yeah, but now that we know, we can use pads as kick drums :hihi:
?? :?

chilledpanda wrote:Thought I'd mention Obxd gets a half page mention in Computer Music freeware news issue 203.
The write up ends on this sentence "If this was a commercial synth, we'd be telling you to buy it. 'Nuff said"

On that note anyone know if 2Dat has a donation's button?
It will be on my personal website which i plan to make soon :)

I don't like this website stuff. Making plugins is much more fun!

2DaT wrote:
chilledpanda wrote:Thought I'd mention Obxd gets a half page mention in Computer Music freeware news issue 203.
The write up ends on this sentence "If this was a commercial synth, we'd be telling you to buy it. 'Nuff said"

On that note anyone know if 2Dat has a donation's button?
It will be on my personal website which i plan to make soon :)

I don't like this website stuff. Making plugins is much more fun!
:tu: thanks mate, let me know. Really enjoying playing with Obxd this weekend, top notch work. Was meaning to have a look a while back, but time got in the way ( well lack of it)!

CM issue 202, April 2014 wrote:If this was a commercial synth, we'd be telling you to buy it. 'Nuff said

Yes, I'm still alive. XD

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you all know: I'm in the process of building a small bank of sounds (around 16) that I've created with OBXd. Some of the patches are inspired by the more "famous" OB-X sounds, and others are my original patches. I'll give more information when the preset pack is complete.

And thanks to reading that in CM I grabbed the Mac version very late last night. I forgot to check back here for a couple of months and didn't expect it to be out this quick :o

I've only had time for a quick play so far. Looking forward to spending some proper time with it later. It's fine in Logic Pro 9, but the presets don't work in Garageband.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Axis1~SL61 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:[...] hard to believe the drums are from the OBXD :)
indeed!... I thought the same, as I tried to make some drums with it and the kick kept on sounding somewhat fased or something... especially in the attack transients, no 2 kick hits came out sounding the same, I'm not sure why, really puzzling...
Yes, I noticed the same thing, the punch and volume with kick drums come and go like in big waves or intervals..
when using oscillator sine & pitch envelope that issue is present in any analog synth as the oscillators are free running (so always at a different phase position on keypress)
if obxd had a self oscillation filter ( last time I checked does not) that would be best suited for making solid kicks as it's retriggerd each time, unlike the oscillator.
breeze wrote: In the original demo I did before the OSC I actually took the best kick sample I had from a render and copied it (and then didn't use it in the OSC because of the rules... )because I found the attack wandered too much
in the OSC rules there's nothing to stop you from sampling OBXD.(as long as you don't go into deep editing the sample). making a single shot sample of a OBXD kick is the best way to get around the phase issue and within the rules.

edit: ignore this last bit. unfortunately in the new OSC rules it ain't allowed
Last edited by olikana on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olikana wrote: in the OSC rules there's nothing to stop you from sampling OBXD.(as long as you don't go into deep editing the sample). making a single shot sample of a OBXD kick is the best way to get around the phase issue and within the rules.
The rules changed a while back - no more one shot sampling in the OSC:
"Sampling for example a bass drum in order to get a consistent sound is not allowed either."
[source: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules]

bjporter wrote:The rules changed a while back - no more one shot sampling in the OSC:
"Sampling for example a bass drum in order to get a consistent sound is not allowed either."
And BTW, that's why IMO the rule on allowing any processing at all is questionable. In the specific case of the Kick, you can "transient design" the sound to shape it into consistency using freeware dynamic processors: IMO that's also modifying the sound of the synth as much as using effects, or in this case, sampling the best iteration of a sound: you are changing the natural capabilities of the synth.

The spirit of the OSC seems to be about hearing what the synth can do on its own. IMO it shouldn't allow any processing at all, except maybe on the two buss. And BTW, an open contest between different synths with rules like these is not really fair at all as a powerhouse like Zebra has so much more in the FX department than the Obxd (which has none!). Something to keep in mind if and when you ever do that again. ;)

I had no idea there was a OSX version. Sounds fantastic. The filter sounds very alive.

Breeze wrote:
bjporter wrote:The rules changed a while back - no more one shot sampling in the OSC:
And BTW, that's why IMO the rule on allowing any processing at all is questionable. In the specific case of the Kick, you can "transient design" the sound to shape it into consistency using freeware dynamic processors: IMO that's also modifying the sound of the synth as much as using effects, or in this case, sampling the best iteration of a sound: you are changing the natural capabilities of the synth.

The spirit of the OSC seems to be about hearing what the synth can do on its own. IMO it shouldn't allow any processing at all, except maybe on the two buss. And BTW, an open contest between different synths with rules like these is not really fair at all as a powerhouse like Zebra has so much more in the FX department than the Obxd (which has none!). Something to keep in mind if and when you ever do that again. ;)
A totally agree. And I add that in almost all the uploads made, the harmony and melody importance of the music is totally lost deeply, deeply, deeply below the huge effects presented by everybody. Who plays real long developed melodies in OSC? Who plays arpeggios of guitar emulations by the synths in OSC? Who makes demonstrations of real deep knowledge of the traditional harmony rules in OSC? OSC seems now to have become only a challenge of huge effects far more than everything else. And that's actually why all the discussions talk of nothing else than the effects used in each entry. Absolutely anybody doesn't talk about the real musical concepts of harmony, chord progressions, triads, cadences, parts of the composition uploaded... All is effects, effects, effects...
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Breeze wrote: The spirit of the OSC seems to be about hearing what the synth can do on its own. IMO it shouldn't allow any processing at all, except maybe on the two buss. And BTW, an open contest between different synths with rules like these is not really fair at all as a powerhouse like Zebra has so much more in the FX department than the Obxd (which has none!). Something to keep in mind if and when you ever do that again. ;)

Agreed - I think we should be able to do one shot samples as well... but it's a tough sell. Bring it up in the General OSC threads - maybe we can put this up for the next vote.

The One Synth Challenge (OSC) is now closed for entries and open for voting.

For those of us who watched it grow up (and so quickly too), it is great to see what talent and hard work (and even effects) can do with "our" synth. We saw its first awkward baby steps. Now it's flying! Congratulations datsounds and collaborators. :clap:

Give the 40 entries a listen.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-61-obxd
바보

bftucker wrote:The One Synth Challenge (OSC) is now closed for entries and open for voting.

For those of us who watched it grow up (and so quickly too), it is great to see what talent and hard work (and even effects) can do with "our" synth. We saw its first awkward baby steps. Now it's flying! Congratulations datsounds and collaborators. :clap:

Give the 40 entries a listen.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-61-obxd
Somehow the embedded player does not show, as usual, the SoundCloud player does not show on many sites. Maybe it is Chrome...

Return to “Instruments”