Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Kriminal wrote:the files wont play here...
I guess it is the player, whichever it is. Had the same issue with the second example, and often with Peter's examples in the OP-X threads.

Ingonator wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Is that called acid because it sounds like acid bubbling away in the lab? :roll:
No idea to be honest (and i got a Dr. in Chemistry...).

The patch is called "Acidic Bass" because it is influenced by the 303 but on the other hand is not identical. If it would be a perfect emulation i maybe would choose a different name...

Ingo
Oh, you have strayed from your profession quite a bit, should have studied physics instead :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Oh, you have strayed from your profession quite a bit, should have studied physics instead :hihi:
Actually i already had teached physics at school...

For that i also had to built simple circuits like e.g. this:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A4mmerungsschalter

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Kriminal wrote:
Breeze wrote: The Obxd is a bit of a divergence from the OBX it seeks to emulate
he's trying to emulate the OB-Xa isnt he...? diff synth...
As fas as I can tell (I never owned either of them but I studied both manuals when this started) it's a mix. Not quite the OB-X but not quite the OB-Xa either.
Fernando (FMR)

Kriminal wrote:he's trying to emulate the OB-Xa isnt he...? diff synth...
I'm pretty sure it's mainly the OB-X with OB-Xa features. The X didn't have 24-dB and the Xa didn't have X-mod; neither had a multimode filter, so it's a bit of a mix! The X used discrete filters while the Xa used Curtis chips, but I don't think 2DaT went down the circuit-modelling road yet though I do think his intention was to emulate the instability of the X's oscillators and filters. Good overview here and on wiki pages.

Here comes my Sunday morning mullings... Oberheim prices were simply out of reach when I was a kid. It was one of those synths you just got to look at at the music store without waving some cash around. If you know anything about electronics, you can download the schematics and take a look at the complexity of an analog build... and stand amazed that we can get practically the same thing now in a few megabytes of code! :D

Breeze wrote:
Kriminal wrote:he's trying to emulate the OB-Xa isnt he...? diff synth...
I'm pretty sure it's mainly the OB-X with OB-Xa features. The X didn't have 24-dB and the Xa didn't have X-mod; neither had a multimode filter, so it's a bit of a mix! The X used discrete filters while the Xa used Curtis chips, but I don't think 2DaT went down the circuit-modelling road yet though I do think his intention was to emulate the instability of the X's oscillators and filters. Good overview here and on wiki pages.
With the latest version that with the 24dB button on could morph between 1 and 4 filter Poles there is also a bit of Matrix 12 inside now so basically there is a mix of different Oberheim synths like OB-X, OB-Xa OB-8, SEM and Matrix 12 where this is true mostly for the filter while the rest of the synth is closer to the OB-X and OB-Xa.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I am close to finish correcting my own patches now. For that i used the latest version published yesterday (the one before should not be a difference for those corrected patches).

Here is what i found:

- With patches using Unison i had to either increase the Spread amount
- With some Unison patches i had to increase both the Spread amount and Osc 2 detune
- with some pad sounds (especially Strings) i had to increase the Osc 2 detune
- the Brass, Bells and some other patches usually did not need any correction (even if they were detuned too like those pads mentioned above)
- With 2 patches that used the 24dB filter i had to set the Multi knob to 0 which for som rteason was in the middle position. In earlier versions this was no problem as with the 24dB mode the knob had no function but with the latest the knob controls the filter slope.

Conclusion:
First i thought it is only about Unison patches but there does not seem to be a general rule for the corrections (and even with the Unison patches there are differences).
On the other hand there are several patches that don't need corrections (but ther does not seem to be a general rule for those too).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Kriminal wrote:
Breeze wrote: The Obxd is a bit of a divergence from the OBX it seeks to emulate
he's trying to emulate the OB-Xa isnt he...? diff synth...
Cool, one of the advantages the OB-Xa has over the OB-X I just learned, is that OB-Xa allows for splitting and layering of voices.

But how do I get to do that with Obxd?

Numanoid wrote: allows for splitting and layering of voices.

But how do I get to do that with Obxd?
Use your host/DAW ? :wink:

While the rest of the synth is close to the OB-X the filter seems to be based on OB-X OB-Xa and also SEM and the latest version with switchable/morphable filter poles maybe also a bit on a Matrix 12.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Obxd allows a choice from 1 to 8 voices in the global setting, but I guess the only variation of these voices can be obtained by tweaking the voice panel, can't do more to modify the individual voices?

Numanoid wrote:Obxd allows a choice from 1 to 8 voices in the global setting, but I guess the only variation of these voices can be obtained by tweaking the voice panel, can't do more to modify the individual voices?
The voice panning actiually is a feature included with the real OB-X, OB-Xa and OB-8.
Here is a picture from an OB-8:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jobenbelgi ... /lightbox/

Another possible option could be voice detune like in Diva. Maybe it would be possible to add a switch to choose between voice pan and voice detune.

BTW i updated mylast post a bit while you posted.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:I am close to finish correcting my own patches now. For that i used the latest version published yesterday (the one before should not be a difference for those corrected patches).

Here is what i found:

- With patches using Unison i had to either increase the Spread amount
- With some Unison patches i had to increase both the Spread amount and Osc 2 detune
- with some pad sounds (especially Strings) i had to increase the Osc 2 detune
- the Brass, Bells and some other patches usually did not need any correction (even if they were detuned too like those pads mentioned above)
- With 2 patches that used the 24dB filter i had to set the Multi knob to 0 which for som rteason was in the middle position. In earlier versions this was no problem as with the 24dB mode the knob had no function but with the latest the knob controls the filter slope.

Conclusion:
First i thought it is only about Unison patches but there does not seem to be a general rule for the corrections (and even with the Unison patches there are differences).
On the other hand there are several patches that don't need corrections (but ther does not seem to be a general rule for those too).
Here is the update of the patches colection based on the corrections mentioned above:

UPDATE (02.02.2014):

Here is the next update v1.04:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0v1.04.zip

This includes the corrected patches of Breeze and myself (updated for the latest version published yesterday).
One new bass patch from me is included ("Acidic Bass 3 IW")

I also added this to my first post at the first page of this thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5428868

At that placfe it will be easier to find until there is a better solution.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Here's 7 patches...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zxuw5r46rvzk ... 2-2014.zip
Many thanks,
just downloaded. Will add to the next update of the collection.

Have fun,
Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Breeze wrote:[d "Pitch" is what it says on the OBX
nope.
that knob is clearly and precisely labelled "Depth" on the OBX . (and "Frequency" is the generic "title" for the whole row.... or are you arguing the rate knob is infact labelled LFO ? lol)

olikana wrote:
Breeze wrote:[d "Pitch" is what it says on the OBX
nope.
that knob is clearly and precisely labelled "Depth" on the OBX . (and "Frequency" is the generic "title" for the whole row.... or are you arguing the rate knob is infact labelled LFO ? lol)
You're right! :oops: For the record, I agree it should be "depth"... I sort of remember it being discussed at some point but it might have been overlooked... or it fell in the crack between the discussion about the location of the controls and the one about the width of the buttons... someone please correct this or we'll all have to stop using Obxd as the offense to our sensibilities is simply unbearable... ;)

Return to “Instruments”