Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

After all that work with the collection and the latest update being published i finally started to have some fun with the patches again.
While playing with the pads (with the category sorted bank file...) i found an amazing pad sound from Breeze and created this audio demo (pure OBXD, no additional FXs used):

OBXd - Breeze Cloud Strings

That patch is called "BzPAD_Cloud Strings".
This is so beautiful that i almost had to cry... :)

Could also sound nice with a Chorus added (i checked with TAL Chorus-LX and the Polysix Ensemble in Korg MDE-X) but in this specific case it sounds better without.
Also checked the ERS Dimension D Chorus which is quite nice in this case. That Chorus is less "destructive" which means it does not change the original sound as much as other Chorus FXs.
Some Reverb (e.g. ValhallaVintageVerb) seems to be nice choice in this case.

As there was a discussion about what is "analog warmth" in the Oddity thread. THIS is it!!!

There also seem to be many other examples in the patch collection that are as beautiful and/or great as this.

OBXD is one of the few plugins that actually feel like a real instrument and in terms of anlog sound it is difficult to get it better. Concerning that IMO it is in the same league as some of the best commercial plugins (not calling names this time...).

UPDATE:
The same patch with the ERS Dimension D Chorus and ValhallaVintageVerb Reverb:
OBXd - Breeze Cloud Strings + Dim D Chorus + VVV Reverb_1

That track is done with the Chorus at 100% Dry/Wet. Here is a version with around 60% Dry/wet:
OBXd - Breeze Cloud Strings + Dim D Chorus + VVV Reverb_2

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: @albertodream and EnGee:
Your patches seemed to be done with an older version of OBXD. I tried to correct some patches where there are changes due to later versions, especially for Unison patches. I used both versions for comparison and also a tuning tool to check the amount of detuning.
If you like you could check if the patches do sound like they should.

Ingo
Just checked and I like very much your corrections, they sound like I intended, thanks again for your effort :clap:

Ingonator wrote: As there was a discussion about what is "analog warmth" in the Oddity thread. THIS is it!!!

OBXD is one of the few plugins that actually feel like a real instrument and in terms of anlog sound it is difficult to get it better. Concerning that IMO it is in the same league as some of the best commercial plugins (not calling names this time...).
Totally agree, maybe this synth lacks of more modulation routes, a patch browser, etc. But as it relates to analog sound is a winner :tu:

albertodream wrote:
Ingonator wrote: As there was a discussion about what is "analog warmth" in the Oddity thread. THIS is it!!!

Totally agree, maybe this synth lacks of more modulation routes, a patch browser, etc. But as it relates to analog sound is a winner :tu:
Yes. For the moment I see OBXD in the same league as some TAL and U-He freewares. And yes, though it is for the moment with great sounds but lacking some features... I don't forget that many features have been suggested to 2DaT along these one hundred pages of the topic, suggestions that he has carefully noticed to perhaps work on them for a next version. With all we have suggested... he has a lot on his plate !
:hihi: :clown: :hug:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

so 'analogue warmth' basically means tons of chorus and reverb....

Kriminal wrote:so 'analogue warmth' basically means tons of chorus and reverb....
The first example to which that comment is related does not use any FXs. The examples with Chorus were added later. Maybe one day you will learn to read my post properly and maybe you will even learn to not treat me like an idiot like many times ago...

About the Chorus and Reverb: The Dim D Chorus actually keeps most of the original sound, especially when the Dry/Wet amount is reduced. The Reverb was just at 20% amount in both demos. so much about "tons". Besides that the Valhalla Reverb offers lot of options for tweaking including e.g. the Decay time which has a big effect on the result.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Honestly, this synth has a such wonderful quality and all these patches made here during the tests are so beautiful that I'm pretty sure a whole album (chillout?, quiet trance?, new age?, more?) could be made without any adding effect!

ImageImageImage
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Ingonator wrote:There also seem to be many other examples in the patch collection that are as beautiful and/or great as this.
Thanks Ingo. In the spirit of 2DaT's generosity in making Obxd freeware, I figured I'd reciprocate. Quite a bit of tweaking went into some of these.

It's actually nice to make the patches as nice as possible straight out of the Obxd. It sometimes was a challenge to just work with what was available. I've heard too many patches over the years where it's all about the effects, which can be used to disguise as much as enhance. The end result is that many patches actually sound nice on their own. I've found you can get great results by doubling the patches with another instance, detuning/spreading and panning. Combining patches can also yield nice results as well. Try the voices in VVV or Ubermod... ;)

But in the end it's all thanks to the way 2DaT made this thing sound. Without that essential ingredient I don't think I would have gotten involved so much.
Kriminal wrote:so 'analogue warmth' basically means tons of chorus and reverb....
Cheeky... ;)

oh, I haven't installed the plugin yet, but I am following the discussion since page one, amazing!
avantspace.org

This is not the first time i hear such comment in this thread. So it's forbidden to use any FXs with OBXD?
If you check the first and the third of my audio demos above you will hear that the impact of the FXs on the sound is well balanced in that case and maybe could be called even "subtle". The imopact of other Chorus FXs like e.g. TAL Chorus-LX is much bigger and for that specific sound in that example it is not that great while it is nice for other patches.

At the end FXs like e.g. Chorus and Reverb are a part of sound design but especially for Reverb i am not a fan of using a too big amount (except if it fits for a certain sound).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
The first example to which that comment is related does not use any FXs. The examples with Chorus were added later.

the 'FX versions were in the post when i read it and commented, and 99% of your 'examples' in this thread are drenched in chorus and/or reverb

Ingonator wrote: About the Chorus and Reverb:

i didnt ask about them, so no need to post anything about them, thanks
Ingonator wrote:Maybe one day you will learn to read my post properly and maybe you will even learn to not treat me like an idiot like many times ago...

Maybe one day you will realise that when you post, your name is shown, so you dont have to sign it at the end of every post :tu:
Last edited by Kriminal on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breeze wrote:
Cheeky... ;)
For the records that comment of mine was done about the demo without FXs. The FX demos were added later (like alraedy mentioned in my reply to Kriminal.

Somehow also this part seemed to be missed with those replies here:
Ingonator wrote: Could also sound nice with a Chorus added (i checked with TAL Chorus-LX and the Polysix Ensemble in Korg MDE-X) but in this specific case it sounds better without.
Also checked the ERS Dimension D Chorus which is quite nice in this case. That Chorus is less "destructive" which means it does not change the original sound as much as other Chorus FXs.
Some Reverb (e.g. ValhallaVintageVerb) seems to be nice choice in this case.
The update was added to show what i already proposed at that comment and was actually done after that.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

another bad day at the office? no wonder..
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
another bad day at the office?
i dont work in an office, and it was a pretty good day
murnau wrote:no wonder..

no wonder what...?

Ingonator wrote:
Breeze wrote:
Cheeky... ;)
For the records that comment of mine was done about the demo without FXs. The FX demos were added later (like alraedy mentioned in my reply to Kriminal....
No, I meant "Cheeky" as in "Cheeky bast*rd", as in "Agent Provocateur" as in:
Cheeky ... is a word used to describe someone who does something or says something sort of disrespectful and sometimes rude, but says it in a cunning way.
As in...
Kriminal wrote:Maybe one day you will realise that when you post, your name is shown, so you dont have to sign it at the end of every post :tu:
:shrug:

Return to “Instruments”