Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

xopher30 wrote:Maybe this has been answered, but am I the only one that cannot automate OBDX parameters? Using 64bit Ableton.
Cheers :)
Using OBXD 64-bit in Ableton Live 9.1.1 64-bit (on Windows 7 64-bit) and seems to work here.
i could add patameters using the "Configure" feature in the OBXD control at Live.
When "Configure" is activated parameters are added by moving knobs or clicking on switches.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

layzer wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:but I am afraid he will have to think of something new fast if he wants to stay in business...
Matrix-12 / Obie Xpander perhaps? :hihi:
I incentivated him to do that years ago. He had a chance to be the first one in that territory for a large margin. It's not so much the case anymore, I'm afraid, be he still has a chance. But I doubt he is willing to do that - and it had to be done in a different platform, not SE.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

huge sound

Filter is awesome

layzer wrote: Matrix-12 / Obie Xpander perhaps? :hihi:
Waay too expensive now. Lucky for those who bought it before analog boom :)

Obxd sounds and looks great! Really enjoying playing with it. :D

Last night, I noticed my Obxd project was idling at over 50% CPU, and when I dug into Studio One's perf tool, it indicated all the Obxd instances were using CPU, whether chained to BlueArp or not. This before I'd ever hit play. Is this expected? :?: Never seen idle CPU usage in S1 before. Obxd 64 bit on S1 2.6.2 64-bit.

2DaT wrote:
layzer wrote: Matrix-12 / Obie Xpander perhaps? :hihi:
Waay too expensive now. Lucky for those who bought it before analog boom :)
That would be a tall order! What's really interesting with the 12/Xpander is the variety of filters, advanced modulation options and the live modulation matrix. The core seems pretty much what the Obxd already does.

IMO, if someone added most of the important feature requests in this thread,it would significantly expand the flexibility of this already remarkable machine.

psmacmur wrote:Last night, I noticed my Obxd project was idling at over 50% CPU, and when I dug into Studio One's perf tool, it indicated all the Obxd instances were using CPU, whether chained to BlueArp or not. This before I'd ever hit play. Is this expected? :?: Never seen idle CPU usage in S1 before. Obxd 64 bit on S1 2.6.2 64-bit.
Yep it's normal for the Obxd. You can mitigate by reducing the number of voices in each instance as necessary, or freeze your tracks.

Actually, this should probably be another feature request: turn off the engine when the vehicle is not moving. :hihi:

It's a first version, CPU usage will be improved in future releases.

For the moment the best solution is to decrease a bit the number of voices in the little LCD display, since generally one hasn't the need of so many voices. I can load up to five or six instances simultaneously when simply managing accurately the number of voices (1 or 2 is enough for simple sounds and for mono with legato, most of time a amount of 4 to 6 voices is largely enough for more complex sounds, the max of 8 voices is in fact needed only for very complex sounds, for unison and for very deep pads with long sustains).

Of course OBXD suffers of the flaws of all the (freeware) VSTIs which are at their very first version. That will be improved with the next releases. And don't forget that it has been provided open source, so the development of a so nice synth will continue even if 2DaT might stop one day.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Breeze wrote:Actually, this should probably be another feature request: turn off the engine when the vehicle is not moving. :hihi:
Very good image!
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote:It's a first version, CPU usage will be improved in future releases.

For the moment the best solution is to decrease a bit the number of voices in the little LCD display, since generally one hasn't the need of so many voices. I can load up to five or six instances simultaneously when simply managing accurately the number of voices (1 or 2 is enough for simple sounds and for mono with legato, most of time a amount of 4 to 6 voices is largely enough for more complex sounds, the max of 8 voices is in fact needed only for very complex sounds, for unison and for very deep pads with long sustains).

Of course OBXD suffers of the flaws of all the (freeware) VSTIs which are at their very first version. That will be improved with the next releases. And don't forget that it has been provided open source, so the development of a so nice synth will continue even if 2DaT might stop one day.

I am not so sure your assumptions and views are correct...
For instance I see no difference between commercial and freeware with regard to bugs...

Breeze wrote: Yep it's normal for the Obxd. You can mitigate by reducing the number of voices in each instance as necessary, or freeze your tracks.

Actually, this should probably be another feature request: turn off the engine when the vehicle is not moving. :hihi:
Actually this is analog behaviour (everything lives within - oscs, lfo, filters). Everything else is a compromise.

Of couse i can make the button that will turn off voices on demand, but ...tired with endless updates. :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:It's a first version, CPU usage will be improved in future releases.

I am not so sure your assumptions and views are correct...
For instance I see no difference between commercial and freeware with regard to bugs...
I'm not sure neither...
It's simply the way that I feel the tendency...
:wink:
In both worlds we can find the best and the worst.
Many freewares like paywares synths are totally abandoned as soon as they are published. But I talked essentially of those which are really excellent and are the fruit of the real passion of their developer. And 2DaT has got an excellent idea to provide it as open source since it offers the opportunity to others (within the lovers of OBXD) to keep on maintaining it if he can't for any reason.

What's there to maintain? It is a simple synth, there are no more bugs afaik... It is a finished project, and judging from the way the developer writes about it he is not the kind of person that will produce one synth after another from now on, to put it mildly :roll:
He sounds more like the lazy and/or busy guy who is happy this thing is over and done with now :)

Did you ever hear about bit rot? Changing os'es, changing daw's, new plugin formats, etc., make that each software product has a limited life. Try to run 20 year old software and see how far you get.

2DaT wrote:Actually this is analog behaviour (everything lives within - oscs, lfo, filters). Everything else is a compromise.
You know, I hadn't considered that. It seems organic emulation always comes at a cost. On the other hand it is a digital world, where states can be frozen and re-animated; but how do you "continue" randomness from a frozen state... interesting!

I tried this: if I set the Obxd to one voice, play it and hold it, set the voice count to 2, play a second note and hold it as well, and continue doing this, the CPU load increases linearly as expected and there's no glitching. I can do the inverse, release a note, reduce the voice count, all the way down to 1 voice as well and there's no glitching as long as the release phase is over. So in principle if it was possible to get a message from the Obxd saying when each envelope had been terminated, this whole process could be scripted to adjust the voice count as necessary.

Actually: you can already in fact just automate the voice count to reduce CPU use for instances in idle. :dog:
2DaT wrote:... but ...tired with endless updates. :)
Ahhh... I can relate to that! ;)
Last edited by Breeze on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”