Your VSTi sounds analog? - OK then emulate this!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Anyone made any music lately?
nope. im waiting to be told what i should be using :)
Good point well made

vurt wrote:

ENV1 wrote:thats pretty far off.
I can get significantly closer with the ARP 2600

So whats the problem then, if getting that close is not a problem? Well, the problem (if you want to call it that) is that it required both Bass and Treble EQing to get there because the synth itself does not actually have that tonal character. In other words you have to 'fake' it or its a complete no-go.
The goal wasn't precise replication. I'd have spent more time on it otherwise ;) Though it wouldn't be too difficult to slam up the level to increase the distortion, adjust the feedback, and get closer. Hakey did a better attempt too, in that regard.

My point was (IMO) Monark has adequate bass without any EQ, it had more punch (to me), for that(albeit Moogy) style of sound, and I actually prefer it on that basis.

There are several things present which aren't that desirable in the sound of the original recording (not everything related to analogue is a positive) and, though there's plenty of bass, the muffled and distorted qualities are not necessarily to my personal taste. The poor recording quality also makes it difficult to discern how much of that distortion is present on the output of the synth alone.

If that type of saturated sort of sound floats your boat then that's fine. But, as you've found, you can get closer to that just by using a boosting EQ on near enough any synth. To me the more interesting point is the perception of the bass without any additional boosting, as well as things like the attack transients without processing. :)

hakey wrote:Take 3 ?
You nailed it. :tu:

Excellent.
:clap:

edit
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Rather close... well done!

I'm a bit curious to hear how close Bazille could get...

[I'm not one to cross-pollinate forums at all but the effort for me to reproduce this and the inherent obligation I would feel to improve upon it would be too much.]

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -beta.html

IncarnateX wrote:
elwoodblues1969 wrote:

And if you do not want people to be harsh against you, do not post better knowing monologues in which you write to them as if they were idiots that haven't got a clue about what they are talking about. Like this patronizing sentence in your first post:
For someone who claims he is not an analogue synth freak,you sure behave like one...whatever dude...to each his own.
a statement based on my OP, which says nothing about me having hardware obsessions or analog preferences, on the contrary.

Now add to that your "f**k off" and "Jack ass" statements, which you just have just kindly quoted, and your self righteousness is worth nothing. It is even below "pathetic".

Apart from that I am sure you are a nice guy and wish you a nice day and a happy life :wink:
Labeling some an analogue synth freak is not necessarily a negative thing,as there is nothing wrong with obsessing about the quality of a synth(within reason).

My saying that you behaved like a analogue synth freak,is my way of saying that in my opinion,I thought that your fondness for Analogue Solutions was a bit overzealous.
Which is to say that starting a thread for the purpose of a softsynth challenge to compete with these hardware synths,is over the top & unnecessary and that what I said was not meant as an insult.

Without even questioning what I had said & without thinking,you automatically took offense & misconstrued my post.

Remember,that it was your STFU that started this flame war.I'm sure you would not appreciate being cursed at for no valid reason & nor would anyone else in this thread,I'm sure....so what kind of response would you expect?

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

Speaking of being pathetic,you became irate over the fact that I did not abide your incessant demands to provide what you deem to be "proof"...because in your mind,my suggestion for you to explore TubeOhm's synths(rather than me embarking on some search and tweak mission)...wasn't nearly good enough and therefore,according to you,TubeOhm's synths are shit & that they don't even come close to that of Analogue Solutions.

For someone who is a softsynth user,don't you think it's a little freakish on your part,to start a synth challenge thread & then to get pissy if someone does not meet that challenge,according to your rigid specifications....all because of a couple of YouTube videos you watched?

I am fascinated by my TubeOhm collection..especially for the money I paid for them,but I'm not going to ask anyone to try and match the quality,because there's too many variables with each synth and there is plenty of software that sounds deep & lush in their own ways..using different methods...so I don't see that there's anything to prove,with all of the variety & technology that is out there currently.

Like I had said in my first response to your initial post,to each his own...so enjoy your Analogue solutions and have fun with your emulation competition,but don't get pissy just because opinions vary and not everyone shares your views and wants to participate in this thread the way you want them to.

It would be beneficial for all if you toned down your extreme enthusiasm & made an effort to be more diplomatic,if you feel offended in some way....better to iron issues out,rather than immediately go on the defensive & lash out.

I got pretty hot under the collar myself,but that tends to happen with me when people lash out first,instead of explaining to me why they feel offended.

I really prefer not to ever get into a dispute like this,which is why I never visit the GearSlutz or Motifator forums any longer.
For Drakan:The Ancients Gates fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9XUSiE7f4

vurt wrote:
Nothing I have sounds analog enough.

I try and I try, but all they sound like is synthesizers. :cry:

vurt wrote:
I have (In my crappy signature is a link even! The one on top).
Still it is quite like all the other stuff I've done/I do really. Just BAU so is never really that popular. Actually there are more finished now but I just haven't uploaded them yet. Had an MRI recently and the results were not good, It is now diseased or rather the discs are

Just one big :hyper: fun :party: mate ain't it

aw shit :(
sorry to hear that mate :hug:

Apologies everyone, would have owned up earlier, but have been out all afternoon - there was a little misdirection going on.

Takes 2 and 3 aren't Diva, they are in fact... Synth1

Now, Synth1 is by no means a convincing analogue emulation - Diva beats it hands down in that regard, however, the Oberkorn clip had a certain thin, raspy sound to it that I couldn't get with Diva. Knowing that Synth1 does thin and raspy quite well, I gave it a go and, using a bit of Synth1's nasty filter saturation with the on board compressor to make it snappier, came up with takes 2 and 3 in about 10 minutes (fwiw, it's a horrible patch).

@IncaranteX: even a crude, old, aliasing, craptastic VA like Synth1 can, given the right circumstances, do a half decent impression of "analogue", and the current crop of VA's are light years ahead of S1, so... not going to settle any arguments, but it's kind of interesting, I think.

hakey wrote:Takes 2 and 3 aren't Diva, they are in fact... Synth1
:hihi:

elwoodblues1969 wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:
elwoodblues1969 wrote:

And if you do not want people to be harsh against you, do not post better knowing monologues in which you write to them as if they were idiots that haven't got a clue about what they are talking about. Like this patronizing sentence in your first post:
For someone who claims he is not an analogue synth freak,you sure behave like one...whatever dude...to each his own.
a statement based on my OP, which says nothing about me having hardware obsessions or analog preferences, on the contrary.

Now add to that your "f**k off" and "Jack ass" statements, which you just have just kindly quoted, and your self righteousness is worth nothing. It is even below "pathetic".

Apart from that I am sure you are a nice guy and wish you a nice day and a happy life :wink:
Labeling some an analogue synth freak is not necessarily a negative thing,as there is nothing wrong with obsessing about the quality of a synth(within reason).

My saying that you behaved like a analogue synth freak,is my way of saying that in my opinion,I thought that your fondness for Analogue Solutions was a bit overzealous.
Which is to say that starting a thread for the purpose of a softsynth challenge to compete with these hardware synths,is over the top & unnecessary and that what I said was not meant as an insult.

Without even questioning what I had said & without thinking,you automatically took offense & misconstrued my post.

Remember,that it was your STFU that started this flame war.I'm sure you would not appreciate being cursed at for no valid reason & nor would anyone else in this thread,I'm sure....so what kind of response would you expect?

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

Speaking of being pathetic,you became irate over the fact that I did not abide your incessant demands to provide what you deem to be "proof"...because in your mind,my suggestion for you to explore TubeOhm's synths(rather than me embarking on some search and tweak mission)...wasn't nearly good enough and therefore,according to you,TubeOhm's synths are shit & that they don't even come close to that of Analogue Solutions.

For someone who is a softsynth user,don't you think it's a little freakish on your part,to start a synth challenge thread & then to get pissy if someone does not meet that challenge,according to your rigid specifications....all because of a couple of YouTube videos you watched?

I am fascinated by my TubeOhm collection..especially for the money I paid for them,but I'm not going to ask anyone to try and match the quality,because there's too many variables with each synth and there is plenty of software that sounds deep & lush in their own ways..using different methods...so I don't see that there's anything to prove,with all of the variety & technology that is out there currently.

Like I had said in my first response to your initial post,to each his own...so enjoy your Analogue solutions and have fun with your emulation competition,but don't get pissy just because opinions vary and not everyone shares your views and wants to participate in this thread the way you want them to.

It would be beneficial for all if you toned down your extreme enthusiasm & made an effort to be more diplomatic,if you feel offended in some way....better to iron issues out,rather than immediately go on the defensive & lash out.

I got pretty hot under the collar myself,but that tends to happen with me when people lash out first,instead of explaining to me why they feel offended.

I really prefer not to ever get into a dispute like this,which is why I never visit the GearSlutz or Motifator forums any longer.
TLDR

Return to “Instruments”