Pads: your first choice?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:That giant list on the previous page has basically rendered this thread pointless, seems everyone can get nice pads out of any synth they have and know how to program.
Yes! These threads, like the "which plugin sounds analog" threads devolve into a list of everyone's favorite. I own and like Diva and think that it makes great pads, but, I recommended PadShop because it trumps Diva in uniqueness, with respect to the specific purpose that it's designed for.

Any synth can create pads, it really depends on what you mean when you ask "what's good for pads", do you mean just any old pad, because you can get that from a freebie SFZ font player. Or, do you mean "great pads", and if so, what does great mean to you? Do you mean "subtle depth owing to the details of the filter and subtle movement in the oscillators", if so, then something like Diva is a good choice, and there's not much better because there the question comes down to the technology behind the components. Or, do you mean "great movement and uniqueness without having to be a synthesis expert", and there, I would say padshop is your top choice, because it is designed to leverage samples in an interesting way. Finally, perhaps you mean "cold pads with harshness, bite, and depth", then, I would think something like FM7 is a good bet. You can get things from FM synthesis that aren't really easy or possible to get from a standard subtractive model. You could come up with other attributes of the pads and this would lead you to different choices, but, if the synth that you're recommending doesn't stand out in some way, and in particular, you can't articulate how it stands out, then your recommendation is akin to "just use any old synth."

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:So far these synths were mentioned in this thread, when the next thread comes up with "Which synth is best for leads, basses, plucks, drops, wobbles, trippy, shmoppy, flippy, wuppy, homophobe, urban and ambient meditation music just refer to this list or copy/paste it into any thread:
...(1,001 synths)

Sure, but then some wiseass wants to hear pads people are making, people put up really nice pads, and suddenly the list of synths demonstrated, not just mentioned, is not only a whole lot shorter, but shows some consistency as well.
:D , yes that's true...

ghettosynth wrote:perhaps you mean "cold pads with harshness, bite, and depth", then, I would think something like FM7 is a good bet. You can get things from FM synthesis that aren't really easy or possible to get from a standard subtractive model.
http://www.theunfinished.co.uk/fm8-akheron/

Pretty impressive what you can get out of the FM8.

ghettosynth wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:That giant list on the previous page has basically rendered this thread pointless, seems everyone can get nice pads out of any synth they have and know how to program.
Yes! These threads, like the "which plugin sounds analog" threads devolve into a list of everyone's favorite. I own and like Diva and think that it makes great pads, but, I recommended PadShop because it trumps Diva in uniqueness, with respect to the specific purpose that it's designed for.

Any synth can create pads, it really depends on what you mean when you ask "what's good for pads", do you mean just any old pad, because you can get that from a freebie SFZ font player. Or, do you mean "great pads", and if so, what does great mean to you? Do you mean "subtle depth owing to the details of the filter and subtle movement in the oscillators", if so, then something like Diva is a good choice, and there's not much better because there the question comes down to the technology behind the components. Or, do you mean "great movement and uniqueness without having to be a synthesis expert", and there, I would say padshop is your top choice, because it is designed to leverage samples in an interesting way. Finally, perhaps you mean "cold pads with harshness, bite, and depth", then, I would think something like FM7 is a good bet. You can get things from FM synthesis that aren't really easy or possible to get from a standard subtractive model. You could come up with other attributes of the pads and this would lead you to different choices, but, if the synth that you're recommending doesn't stand out in some way, and in particular, you can't articulate how it stands out, then your recommendation is akin to "just use any old synth."
Indeed. It depends on what kind of music you make. Complex evolving pads for instance are good for soundtracks and instrumentals, but basically useless for RnB with lyrics.

I am old-skool, I like my pads simple, but they must sound great to me. Oberheim brass pads for instance have the sound character I like a lot. They sound full of power, as if the filter barely managed to keep that power at bay :D
To me a pad is only a minor instrument, an important detail, a rhythmic element. Complex pads tend to be too dominant and demanding to listen to, or their constant presence makes people ignore them.

chk071 wrote:
Bronto Scorpio wrote: A few pad sounds I made:
Winter Solstice (Diva)Phasing Saws (Zebra)From Dust (FilterScape VA)Dark Star (FilterScape VA)Wavetable Pad (Zebralette)

I guess I like my pads to sound slightly vocal-ish sometimes :lol:

Cheers
Dennis
Nice stuff! Didn't know Zebralette could produce such sounds. Got to free it of it's abandonment soon. :)
Zebralette is definitely a quite underrated synth imo! It's really good at cold, digital stuff! I guess it shows how powerful Zebra really is (Zebralette is basically just one Zebra osc)!
Aroused by JarJar wrote:I like how those have a kind of a vocal quality to them even though they're all very different as far as texture.
Yeah, I like vocal-ish sounds :hihi:

Here are some others:
Retro Choir (Zebralette)Modular Choir (ACE)Reso Voice (Tyrell N6)

I don't know if the last one really qualifies as a pad though.

For pads it's generally nice to have a flexible oscillator/sound source section imo! For more complex atmophere stuff it's also good to have a lot of modulation options.

Cheers
Dennis

If anything, this thread has some good inspiration to get back to work.

quantum7 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:perhaps you mean "cold pads with harshness, bite, and depth", then, I would think something like FM7 is a good bet. You can get things from FM synthesis that aren't really easy or possible to get from a standard subtractive model.

I agree, and for the record, of course I meant FM8 and not FM7, which was a thinko (like a typo, only in the brain, and not the fingers).

quantum7 wrote:

I agree, and for the record, of course I meant FM8 and not FM7, which was a thinko (like a typo, only in the brain, and not the fingers).

gone
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I find Omnisphere and Nexus 2 to be the best libraires for emotional pads, regardless of the genre and what new tools I have soon or later I always go back to those two libraries at some point.

NasKingston wrote:I find Omnisphere and Nexus 2 to be the best libraires for emotional pads, regardless of the genre and what new tools I have soon or later I always go back to those two libraries at some point.
I guess by "emontional pads" you mean pads with vocal or orchestral qualities?

As sound designer (i'd even say sample designer), i'm at least specialized in the creation of pads

So any sampler or hybrid tools that includes sampling or resynthesized samples is good to take for me so among those i (too recently for the most , :oops: ) use it shall be one of these :

Exs24 (at first...)
Independence
Kontakt
Padshop pro
Granite
Alchemy
Iris
Absynth
Gladiator

,...and at less degree :

Waldorf PPG wave V3
Massive

Bronto Scorpio wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Bronto Scorpio wrote: A few pad sounds I made:
Winter Solstice (Diva)Phasing Saws (Zebra)From Dust (FilterScape VA)Dark Star (FilterScape VA)Wavetable Pad (Zebralette)

I guess I like my pads to sound slightly vocal-ish sometimes :lol:

Cheers
Dennis
Nice stuff! Didn't know Zebralette could produce such sounds. Got to free it of it's abandonment soon. :)
Zebralette is definitely a quite underrated synth imo! It's really good at cold, digital stuff! I guess it shows how powerful Zebra really is (Zebralette is basically just one Zebra osc)!
Aroused by JarJar wrote:I like how those have a kind of a vocal quality to them even though they're all very different as far as texture.
Yeah, I like vocal-ish sounds :hihi:

Here are some others:
Retro Choir (Zebralette)Modular Choir (ACE)Reso Voice (Tyrell N6)

I don't know if the last one really qualifies as a pad though.

For pads it's generally nice to have a flexible oscillator/sound source section imo! For more complex atmophere stuff it's also good to have a lot of modulation options.

Cheers
Dennis
Most of the U-he synths take .tun files. Pads are a place where alternative tunings work very naturally, because you can think of the tuning as part of the spectrum/sound-design.

For example, on my analog paraphonic synth/organ/WTF Estradin Solaris, one of the drawbars for the divide-down oscillator is "1 1/2". That frequency multiplication is a pure fifth that completely blends into the spectrum of the fundamental. It's different than just holding a fifth in 12-tET.

With .tun files you could have, say, pure fifths and thirds above your sustained note and make the pad uncannily smooth. Or for scary pads you could use dissonances stronger than the usual 12-tET offers. That's how the famous "monolith" choral "pads" in 2001 A Space Odyssey get that hellacious sound.

Krakatau wrote: ... any sampler or hybrid tools that includes sampling or resynthesized samples is good to take...
I would add, for me, import sample/sampling and granular as necessary features in a non traditional pad machine. I look for those abilities for justifying the addition of yet another VST on my hard drive.

Anything can be pads, since it's more how you use it than what synth you use. But the question can be just as much what timbres you tend to think of first - and then what VI does that for you the most often.

Return to “Instruments”