Pads: your first choice?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pads: Diva

Normally Zebra is my go to for pads, but I picked up a Kontakt instrument called Granulate recently that can do some fun stuff. I've also become really fond of Icarus lately.

Diva can make some nice ones, but it makes my CPU scream for help with long release and multiple voices.

For noisy, partly inharmonic pad sounds... Bazille
For soft analog pads... Diva
For evolving pads... Icarus and Zebra

Hey, threadstarter here :)

1) Thank you for all of your responses, I enjoy reading all this very much, even for the 10th time :)
2) I know you still are going to say that, but hey, this thread is not about "what's best for pads" or "oh, let's list all VSTis, I can use anything"! I know you can. Good for you. :) It's about "what do you like personally", even "what are your habits?" Clearly, we all have our approaches and workflows, and that's what this thread is absolutely brilliant for.
3) About white noise convolution: FL Studio is great, but this method (to volume-shape white noise and use it as an impulse for your IR reverb) is of course in no way limited to any DAW. Also, I've recommended an FM synth for that method not by an accident and was a bit off-put when I've read the mindless "you don't need it". FM sounds, especially simpler ones, tend to give you "harmonically even" results, which can translate to a pad that is not bloated and easier to mix (remember that your time-to-freq relationships are crucial for the perceived sound quality!). So of course you don't need specifically an FM (or AM, rather) source and yes, it's a matter of taste, but I'd still specify that for above-mentioned reasons.

4) I really enjoy seeing DUNE2 beeing mentioned more and more often. The person who said something about its "lightness" has my full agreement on that. :) I'd love to think it's getting picked up big time.

Please have fun reading and posting.
https://soundcloud.com/vospi
I love music, worked with a number of music/rhythm/dance games like Pump It Up, In The Groove, Cytus and Deemo, and teach music production.

Vospi wrote:You need a pad to play a sequence of beautiful emotional chords, and the first VSTi you usually load is..?
Wusik

You need a pad to play a sequence of beautiful emotional chords, and the first VSTi you usually load is..?
U-he Hive

Diva, Zebra, Falcon, and Omnisphere all layered together through Shimmer, Blackhole, and VVV in series.

Because sometimes less is more.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Don't know if I have jumped in here before but I feel like I have. Anyway, if I haven't I will emphasize that waldorf was and is the king of pads.

deastman wrote:Diva, Zebra, Falcon, and Omnisphere all layered together through Shimmer, Blackhole, and VVV in series.

I would say that is plenty already. :D
Dasheesh wrote:Don't know if I have jumped in here before but I feel like I have. Anyway, if I haven't I will emphasize that waldorf was and is the king of pads.
Yep. :tu:

pdxindy wrote:For noisy, partly inharmonic pad sounds... Bazille
For soft analog pads... Diva
For evolving pads... Icarus and Zebra
I often don't know which sounds people mean. What for instance does a soft analog pad sound like?

HALion.
But then, HALion is my first choice for everything...
Select a "Warm Analog Pad", slow attack and release, whack up the unison, load 8 instances of it, 20 second reverb (of your choice), then 4 bars D/B, 4 bars E.
Loop.
Play guitar solo for a couple of hours...

PlugInGuru's MegaMagic Pads for Omnisphere 2 with Zynaptiq's Adaptiverb.
Sheer heaven.

Vospi wrote:You need a pad to play a sequence of beautiful emotional chords, and the first VSTi you usually load is..?
Maybe this is cheating :D but the iPad can play, too! :tu:

- Can't say enough good about the Virsyn line - their latest release - Addictive Pro - is just superb, w/plenty of cojones to survive even in a thick mix -

Sunrizer (Beepstreet) is an alpha male - as is Moog's Model 15, and Animoog -

Bottom line: there are some excellent options for dominant pad-production w/apps that run on an iPad.

One more quick mention:

http://www.wolfgangpalm.com/ (genius)

goldenanalog wrote:
Maybe this is cheating :D but the iPad can play, too! :tu:

- Can't say enough good about the Virsyn line - their latest release - Addictive Pro - is just superb, w/plenty of cojones to survive even in a thick mix -

Sunrizer (Beepstreet) is an alpha male - as is Moog's Model 15, and Animoog -

Bottom line: there are some excellent options for dominant pad-production w/apps that run on an iPad.

One more quick mention:

http://www.wolfgangpalm.com/ (genius)
I prefer Mitosynth for pads in iOS land!

deastman wrote:Diva, Zebra, Falcon, and Omnisphere all layered together through Shimmer, Blackhole, and VVV in series.

My synth stack is different, but our fx chain looks fairly similar. I find Valhalla and Eventide work pretty well together.

I focus more on processing than synths, but since this is an instrument thread; my usual pad base starts with things like Arturia's CS80V / Solina, AIR Vacuum Pro, Memorymoon ME80, or Krakli StringZ2/S30

Return to “Instruments”