Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kaivo

would have bought at 99$, now i'm waiting for the half-price sale

edit: feature request for both Aalto and Kaivo - they should remember their zoom setting. And plus and minus buttons for the three drop-down menus in Kaivo would be great.

After some time with the demo I think it needs a great overhauling:
it is to mutch money, even for the half-price sale
and
it is to mutch CPU, most of the demos are crackeling all the time.
and
the overall sound is not so good as some other instruments of the same kind.

jowen wrote:the overall sound is not so good as some other instruments of the same kind.
and what other instruments of the same kind are out there, out of interest?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I've managed to do some really nice sounds fiddling with the demo. I guess a synth like this might not be to everyone's taste. It is for me though. Plenty of sound possibilities. The onboard presets are just mere taste of what this synth can do.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

jowen wrote: the overall sound is not so good as some other instruments of the same kind.

This is a unique synth... there is nothing else quite like it out there...

Oh, and the sound quality is superb. Whether to your taste, is of course subjective and up to you.

aMUSEd wrote:
dformd wrote:Going through all the presets in Renoise 2.8; generally a 20-40% cpu hit for me; 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. Still a bloody amazing synth.
Same CPU as me so hopefully that means I will be able to run it. Not installed yet as it took all evening to download, their server must have been pretty stretched.
This is awesome - and I'm not seeing more than 15% per instance - most patches are around 7-10%

I could go crazy on making patches for this (but I need to be able to afford it first - spent up this month :()

a single instance crackles with the default patch when the white noise is to hear ??
for shure you will tell me thats a feature and a very good sound.

For me the sound of the presets overall is muddy like the GUI, with out contrast.
Try to run Aalto and Kaivo side by side and listen.

I tried some samples from my collection with the demo, the result was the same muddy with out contrast.

You could use your own samples with the demo!!

But if you will spend your money and you will hear the good sound then there is no more question, just buy.

jowen wrote:For me the sound of the presets overall is muddy like the GUI, with out contrast.
Just out of interest, are you talking about the sound of the resonators and body section?

I'll be keeping an eye on Kaivo. Hopfeully a 1.x update will smooth out performance a bit.

There's something very odd performance (CPU) wise, at least with the x64 demo which I've tried.

The default patch will take ~30% on Live 9 or FLStudio, and around 75% of one core on Studio 1. However, in Reaper it's around 5%.

I tested with the 'Sine start' from the Techniques folder, and that went up to 45% in Live, and Similar in FL, and maxed out the core in Studio 1. Only 7% in Reaper.

This is on an i7 3930k, on Windows 7 x64 with no problems on all other plugins.

I really like the sound, and would likely add Kaivo to my copy of Aalto, but there's something not quite right at the moment. Hopefully the problem can be found quickly. In the meantime, I'll carry on demoing in Reaper :tu:

koalaboy wrote:There's something very odd performance (CPU) wise, at least with the x64 demo which I've tried.

The default patch will take ~30% on Live 9 or FLStudio, and around 75% of one core on Studio 1. However, in Reaper it's around 5%.

I tested with the 'Sine start' from the Techniques folder, and that went up to 45% in Live, and Similar in FL, and maxed out the core in Studio 1. Only 7% in Reaper.

This is on an i7 3930k, on Windows 7 x64 with no problems on all other plugins.

I really like the sound, and would likely add Kaivo to my copy of Aalto, but there's something not quite right at the moment. Hopefully the problem can be found quickly. In the meantime, I'll carry on demoing in Reaper :tu:
Interesting, I was demoing mainly in Reaper and Kore 2 and got 7-10% for most patches! I will try in S1 too. It is known for being less lean than Reaper though but I was pleasantly surprised by how well it performs in Kore 2 which has no multi CPU support.

aMUSEd wrote:Interesting, I was demoing mainly in Reaper and Kore 2 and got 7-10% for most patches! I will try in S1 too. It is known for being less lean than Reaper though but I was pleasantly surprised by how well it performs in Kore 2 which has no multi CPU support.
There's definitely something different between Reaper and the rest in Kaivo, and I honestly don't believe that a Kaivo default patch should take 30%+ in any sequencer intentionally. Aalto (registered v1.3.2) takes ~4% on the default patch, so I suspect something accidentally got missed out or compiled in, in the Kaivo demo.

About the sample import: there's a thread in the Madrona Labs forum about it, and it seems the sample import is not yet implemented. Big downer for me… :(

Source: http://madronalabs.com/topics/3346-kaivo-sample-import

I think this will be an amazing product! Hopefully Randy will figure out the CPU issues in the coming months, as he has mentioned. Aalto was a brute upon launch as well. I might have to wait a bit on the purchase as it hits my system very hard.
Last edited by crawlingwind on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koalaboy wrote: There's definitely something different between Reaper and the rest in Kaivo
Been a while since I've used Reaper, but doesn't it report CPU usage as usage amongst all cores?

In other words, if you have a 4 core machine and use 100% of one core, most hosts would report 100%, whereas Reaper would report 25%?

I could be remembering wrong, it's been a long time since I've used it.

Regardless, different hosts gauge CPU usage in different ways and expecting the numbers to match up is generally not wise. Particularly in a multicore scenario there isn't really one right way to give a 0-100 number.

The default patch takes 50-70% on my machine... in Live. And that's without playing a note. I'm pretty sure that's not a feature.

As it stands, I can't give the demo a fair shot. Have to load it up in Reaper and see if this is a Live-specific issue.

Return to “Instruments”